Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Randy vs Fedor still relevant?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by xxMALICExx

Wow Rush, you're laying the MMAmath on pretty thick there.

I don't think the math is relevant with respect to who will win a fight, but I think it is relevant with respect to selling a fight.

sounds like circle talk... reminds me of bickering with my mother in law

Post #16   11/16/08 11:40:00PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think it's relevant anymore...in fact I think that Brock is now a top 10 fighter. I think he has an honest chance against NOG. He needs to avoid the ground game with him, but not to much. I think if Fedor comes to the UFC (big wishing here) he gets an immediate title shot and takes it!! Oh, and if Mir somehow beats Nog then I will bet all I have on Brock for sure!!!

Post #17   11/17/08 1:30:17AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Not in the least.

Why do you think it is relevant? You never did explain this other that it is 2 big names.

There are a lot of big names out there where the fight wouldn't be relevant

Last edited 11/17/08 7:42AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   11/17/08 7:41:35AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
It was never relevant. Couture was never going to be able to beat Fedor. A better fight would be Couture vs Mir or Herring......both of which i wouldnt pick Couture.

Post #19   11/17/08 10:23:19AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Couture vs Mir or Herring......both of which i wouldnt pick Couture.

Really? I'd pick Couture not only to win, but to dominate both men.

Post #20   11/17/08 10:31:42AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

The only guys i think Couture has a chance to beat anymore are guys like Kongo or Jake Obrien, guys that are like a turtle on their backs, or new guys in the UFC. I honestly dont think he has a chance to ever become HW champ again in the UFC or even in Affliction. Barney, Nog, Arlovski, Overeem, and Fedor would all destroy him from the first second. I would still pick CroCop over him at this point.

Post #21   11/17/08 10:49:24AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

The only guys i think Couture has a chance to beat anymore are guys like Kongo or Jake Obrien, guys that are like a turtle on their backs, or new guys in the UFC. I honestly dont think he has a chance to ever become HW champ again in the UFC or even in Affliction. Barney, Nog, Arlovski, Overeem, and Fedor would all destroy him from the first second. I would still pick CroCop over him at this point.

After 1 loss to a behemoth? Randy didn't look bad in that fight so I guess I just don't understand how you can assume his skills have dropped off so much that he couldn't compete against or beat some of the top guys.

Last edited 11/17/08 11:27AM server time by emfleek

Post #22   11/17/08 11:15:22AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Not in the least.

Why do you think it is relevant? You never did explain this other that it is 2 big names.

There are a lot of big names out there where the fight wouldn't be relevant

Yes I did.......

I said that relevance is based on the fans.....

If you have a large amount of fans on each side that believe that there fighter would win.... it now becomes a relevant fight...

Webster definition

1 a: having significant and demonstrable bearing on the matter at hand b: affording evidence tending to prove or disprove the matter at issue or under discussion <relevant testimony> c: having social relevance

Right now the matter at hand is Randy vs Fedor (I think there are still enough people out there that want to and would watch this fight....)

It is a great opportunity to prove or disprove the matter at issue or under discussion

I'm basing my argument of relevance on the fans...... And I believe the fans want to and would watch a fight between Fedor and Randy, you cannot discredit a whole entire fan base of Randy that think he could win by all of the sudden claiming the fight is now irrelevant

Last edited 11/17/08 11:22AM server time by Kracker_Jap

Post #23   11/17/08 11:22:07AM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:
Of course Randy vs Fedor is still relevant, in the way Muhammed Ali vs Rocky Marciano is relevant to boxing

Post #24   11/17/08 2:11:57PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

After 1 loss to a behemoth? Randy didn't look bad in that fight so I guess I just don't understand how you can assume his skills have dropped off so much that he couldn't compete against or beat some of the top guys.

I just don't believe he has been the best of best in years now

Post #25   11/17/08 5:49:55PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

If you have a large amount of fans on each side that believe that there fighter would win.... it now becomes a relevant fight...

But this describes pretty much any possible matchup out there. I don't see how you can say that a matchup is relevant just because fans want to see their fighter fight. We should learn from fights like the last Gracie vs. Sakuraba that unless both fighters are peaking, there is only a small chance of it being a big deal. There are exceptions of course. Chuck and Wanderlei for example, but keep in mind that both of them were in slumps and neither of them were in their 40's

also,

I think the relevance of the fight should take a number of factors into consideration:

1) Is it relevant for the fans? - Maybe. I can't speak for every fan. As a Fedor fan myself, I don't see it being worth his while any more. Trying to put myself in the shoes of a Randy fan, I can't see why they would want to see Randy fight a guy with a 90%+ chance of losing.

2) Is it relevant for Randy? - He always says he wants to fight the best. However, father time is not on his side and that is one of the main things working against him. Not only that, fighting the best also risks his career ending in a fizzle. This happens to so many champions. I understand it's in their blood to be competitive, but if you want a legacy, they best way to secure it is quit while you are still ahead. If Randy loses his next three fights (because he fights top fighters) that will surely put a damper on his legacy (just as it is with Chuck now)

3) Is it relevant for Fedor? IMO, no. Randy's "ranking" as a fighter goes is skewed heavily because of his image (because people like him), rather than his record. People want to see Fedor fight the best HWs out there and at this point I don't think Randy is one of them. Besides, how many fighters that just lost their last fight get to fight the #1 fighter in their division? Not too many. In addition, if in the unlikely event that Fedor loses, he has little or no time to redeem his loss.

4) Is it relevant for the organization(s)? This I don't know. However, I can put together a situation. Actually I can explain it best with this. Unless the UFC is sure they can secure a contract with Fedor, I don't see why they'll market Randy for the fight. Then Randy is seen as a stepping stone, which is something I am sure he doesn't want.

5) Xfactors - What does Randy have to offer in the way of something different? He's a small heavyweight with a solid wrestling background... just like so many other heavyweights out there right now. His age may be interesting from Randy's perspective, but only a step down from Fedor's perspective.

All in all this fight is no longer relevant. The best thing right now is for Randy to fight a couple more upper tier HWs in the UFC to try and get another title shot by the end of 2009.

Last edited 11/17/08 7:36PM server time by Rush

Post #26   11/17/08 7:35:28PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Wow. You're really down on "The Natural".

Post #27   11/17/08 8:58:32PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I would have to say no

Post #28   11/17/08 10:19:42PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2