Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Maia calling out Bisping

Print  
Posted By Message

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
While it won't happen I would still love to see this fight. While I admit I am a big Bisping apologist I think Maia will run through him. Maia has some of the best jiu jitsu I have ever seen if not the best. He locks in those submissions so quickly and doesn't have much trouble taking the fight to the ground. This guy is the next superstar in the mw division and we could see him with the belt around his waist after silva retires.

Post #1   11/16/08 10:28:54AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I don't know if it will be as easy as some might think. Bisping has excellent takedown defense, an incredible amount of cardio, and pretty crisp (although not very flashy) boxing. I think he would tool around Maia on the feet for the first bit and while he may eventually get taken down, he's proven to be pretty good at getting back up. He did well against Rashad and Hamill who are both pretty good wrestlers.

Still, like Joe said something to the effect of last night- "If Demian Maia gets you on the ground, it is death." <-- Not sure that's an exact quote, but it was something like that

Post #2   11/16/08 10:45:19AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yes Go Maia!

Post #3   11/16/08 11:02:23AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
maia obviously wants to fight in a main event or co-main event and knows where the money is, and he called out a good guy to get that money and notoriety. unfortunately im not sure bisping is going to have another fight anytime soon with his TUF coaching coming up, so maia will have to settle for a leites or marquardt or someone along those lines for his next fight. still, maia is going to give a lot of people problems, and like someone said earlier, he might just be "the guy" after anderson hangs em up.

Post #4   11/16/08 11:35:49AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I don't know if it will be as easy as some might think. Bisping has excellent takedown defense, an incredible amount of cardio, and pretty crisp (although not very flashy) boxing. I think he would tool around Maia on the feet for the first bit and while he may eventually get taken down, he's proven to be pretty good at getting back up. He did well against Rashad and Hamill who are both pretty good wrestlers.

Still, like Joe said something to the effect of last night- "If Demian Maia gets you on the ground, it is death." <-- Not sure that's an exact quote, but it was something like that

He got taken down by McCarthy pretty easily, and almost got caught in an arm bar. Even if Maia cant take him down with a shot right away, he'll just pull guard and sweep him from there. Bisping is a good fighter, but i would most definitely pick Maia to win this fight.

The fight is possible, as Maia is now being thrown around as a possible coach on TUF 9 along side Bisping.

Post #5   11/16/08 11:53:49AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Jackelope

He got taken down by McCarthy pretty easily, and almost got caught in an arm bar. Even if Maia cant take him down with a shot right away, he'll just pull guard and sweep him from there. Bisping is a good fighter, but i would most definitely pick Maia to win this fight.

The fight is possible, as Maia is now being thrown around as a possible coach on TUF 9 along side Bisping.

Don't get me wrong, bro.. I'm not saying Bisping will win. Or that Maia will win for that matter. I'm just saying it may not be as easy of a pick as some think. Bisping is a hard worker who usually comes in with a good game plan. Although he doesn't show it often he's somewhat savvy in BJJ, too.

Post #6   11/16/08 11:58:16AM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Jackelope

Honestly, this was pretty much spot on what I was thinking. Really good points juanez13. Bisping will not get finished as quickly as Quarry, but I still see him getting finished at some point. I think he finishes Bisping late in the 2nd round.

Last edited 11/16/08 12:01PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/16/08 12:01:07PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I think hes gonna get Thales Leites next.

Post #8   11/16/08 12:23:50PM   

missypie

MMA Regular

missypie Avatar

Career:991-569
Chips:
It just wouldn't make sense for him to be coaching the "U.S." team on TUF unfortunately. Another reason why the concept of U.S. vs. U.K. is not a good idea, it limits the coaching possibilities greatly.

Leites or Marquardt would make the most sense at this point with the winner of either match getting a title shot.

Post #9   11/16/08 12:28:18PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,451-1,794
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
If the fight happens, Maia will wear Bisping down on the ground and submit him in the third round.

Post #10   11/16/08 4:23:11PM   

RedCloud

MMA Regular

RedCloud Avatar

Career:265-170
Chips:
No Matter what it will be a good fight.
Maia just wants the same love Bisping gets.
iIthink he deserves it.

Im still going nuts over the Dustin Hazelett Submission, Jeez Louise!

Post #11   11/16/08 7:42:40PM