Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

kettlebells

Print  
Posted By Message

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
i really paid no attention to kettlebells untill recomended them to me a while back. im 5'10 180, use to clean 210-220, i train discus/javlin. in just wondering what weight kettlebells i should get for 6-10 rep sets on cleans and push press, im thinkin 60's or 55's. oh, i usually use 170 on clean and 155 on push press for these workouts. remember i want explosion. any recomodations on weight?

Last edited 3/12/07 12:50PM server time by jdubs
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/11/07 11:10:17PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If possible I'd recommend finding someone with a KB and trying them out if you can. Failing that I'd say you should probably go for a 36lb set, as the 50lb sets might be too much for you right now.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   3/13/07 2:12:42AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

If possible I'd recommend finding someone with a KB and trying them out if you can. Failing that I'd say you should probably go for a 36lb set, as the 50lb sets might be too much for you right now.

last year i had access to a gym were i could do cleans w/o all the old people freakin out, latley ive just been doing explosive cheating curls with 60 lb dumbells thats why i was thinking 50's... im pretty big for 180 and 36 seems way to light cause i want low explosive reps? i dont know, i wish i knew someone that had them but i live in a town were people sit in there trailers and get fat so that prob wont happen. ive looked on line and they look like a pretty good work out w/o having to go to the gym

Post #3   3/13/07 1:57:18PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by jdubs

Posted by Svartorm

last year i had access to a gym were i could do cleans w/o all the old people freakin out, latley ive just been doing explosive cheating curls with 60 lb dumbells thats why i was thinking 50's... im pretty big for 180 and 36 seems way to light cause i want low explosive reps? i dont know, i wish i knew someone that had them but i live in a town were people sit in there trailers and get fat so that prob wont happen. ive looked on line and they look like a pretty good work out w/o having to go to the gym

Well if you're curling 60, your definitely in good shape to use 50's

Post #4   3/13/07 5:52:46PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The thing is, weight is only part of the equation. The handles are much larger than normal weights, so you need to have a tremendous grip for a 50lb or up. Plus, they flip over your wrists when doing things like cleans, so you need to develop strong wrists.

If you go to www.dragondoor.com and go on the forum, you might find someone in your area that has one and would let you come over and try it out.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #5   3/14/07 5:53:48AM