Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fighting Father Time

Print  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
America’s athletic battlefields are littered with good-intentioned men who stuck around too long in their chosen sport, their eroding physical skills rendering them incapable of recapturing the glory of day’s gone by. Remember Michael Jordan in a Washington Wizards uniform? Muhammad Ali and Evander Holyfield also spring to mind.

Though his legacy and place in the mixed martial arts pantheon are secure, Randy Couture does not want his name added to the list.
link

Post #1   11/13/08 2:46:36PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i dont need to read the article to absolutely agree.. i hope that he finishes out his contract on top and lets it go. bas rutten's injury is probably the best thing that coulda happened to him after winning the UFC gold. (only, i woulda liked to have seen him fight ken shamrock again). He went out on top of the world and I believe that he is benefiting from it now. I hope randy goes out as the man with the plan (aside from fedor) and lives the rest of his life with that as his title.

Post #2   11/13/08 6:58:43PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

i dont need to read the article to absolutely agree.. i hope that he finishes out his contract on top and lets it go. bas rutten's injury is probably the best thing that coulda happened to him after winning the UFC gold. (only, i woulda liked to have seen him fight ken shamrock again). He went out on top of the world and I believe that he is benefiting from it now. I hope randy goes out as the man with the plan (aside from fedor) and lives the rest of his life with that as his title.

Very well said. Would but have to spread the love. I'll come back and get you later.

Post #3   11/13/08 8:03:04PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
He tried leaving once when he thought he was done then he just came back a year later to win the HW belt. The HW division is the best division to prolong your career you don't have to be as fast and with Randys wrestling he can put guys on there backs. This is the same reasons I think Chuck needs to move to HW to end out his career.

Post #4   11/14/08 9:19:33AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

He tried leaving once when he thought he was done then he just came back a year later to win the HW belt. The HW division is the best division to prolong your career you don't have to be as fast and with Randys wrestling he can put guys on there backs. This is the same reasons I think Chuck needs to move to HW to end out his career.

This was true in years past, but I think that is changing rapidly. While I still think Couture will win this fight because of Lesnar's inexperience, I believe the future of the heavyweight division is going to see a division loaded with guys like Brock Lesnar and Shayne Carwin. These guys are athletic true heavyweights that cut to make weight. When the division sees more people like that all that will happen to a 45 year old trying to move up is that he'll get crushed even harder than he did at LHW.

Post #5   11/14/08 9:41:01AM