Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo Slice's First Interview Since Loss

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Today former EliteXC fighter and internet street fighting legend Kimbo Slice had his first interview since his October 4th loss to journeyman Seth Petruzelli. Kimbo, who's real name is Kevin Ferguson, was supposed to fight MMA legend Ken Shamrock on October 4th at the EliteXC: Heat event but that fight was canceled at the very last second due to a cut above the eye of Ken Shamrock sustained during training.

Wary to scratch the main event, Kimbo, from the card completely EliteXC approached undercard fighter Seth Petruzelli and asked him to fight Kimbo in the main event of the night. EliteXC entised Petruzelli by bumping up his show purse and they even added in some not so legal incentives. The mayhem that ensued from the end of the fight (StandGate, the exposure of EliteXC's biggest cashcow and the astronomical debt ProElite was in) led to the meteoric downfall of EliteXC and parent company ProElite. Since losing just about everyone has been talking about the event, about the loss or about the controversy behind the fight.

That is, all except Kimbo. Kimbo has been M.I.A since his loss but today he made his first public interview since the embarrassing loss on The Dan Le Batard Show on South Florida's 790 The Ticket.

LINK

Post #1   11/13/08 1:18:47AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Good interview. Got to respect Kimbo, even though he was the product of a hype machine spinning out of control you can't blame him for grabbing on and riding that beast for all it was worth and cashing in for doing so. I know placed in his shoes I would do the same, no doubt about it.

Now that his MMA stock is worth about as much as WAMU stock I can see why he's looking for the boxing angle. Good for him and good luck, he has the name recognition but after that off-balance one leg hanging in mid-air KO boxing may be wary about him too. Hell what am I thinking, boxing would probably do anything to get him in the game with his name recognition.

Welcome to Boxing Kimbo, hope you do well.

Post #2   11/13/08 1:34:55AM   

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:

Posted by Bemin

Good interview. Got to respect Kimbo, even though he was the product of a hype machine spinning out of control you can't blame him for grabbing on and riding that beast for all it was worth and cashing in for doing so. I know placed in his shoes I would do the same, no doubt about it.

Now that his MMA stock is worth about as much as WAMU stock I can see why he's looking for the boxing angle. Good for him and good luck, he has the name recognition but after that off-balance one leg hanging in mid-air KO boxing may be wary about him too. Hell what am I thinking, boxing would probably do anything to get him in the game with his name recognition.

Welcome to Boxing Kimbo, hope you do well.

Feel the same way man. People give him a lot of sh*t, but anyone would have done the same... "no im not going to fight under the Shaw's and make money for my family because it would disgrace the MMA forum posters and Dana White wont like me" come on now, thats retarded. Its a similar situation as people blaming the troops for the Iraq war... They are doing their job, like Kimbo was HIRED to do. If blame is to be placed, its to be placed on the owners and promoters of EliteXC and their horrible interpretation of MMA.

Yeah Kimbo is one dimensional and really isnt that good, but the rest of the nonsense about the guy is bunk IMO.

Seacrest OUT!

Post #3   11/13/08 8:37:18AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've always defended his honor as far as being a product of a hype machine and not necessarily the reason for his own hype.

Still, I think he better cash out with one final big bang while he can. Because his 15 minutes are almost up.

Post #4   11/13/08 10:52:39AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I've always defended his honor as far as being a product of a hype machine and not necessarily the reason for his own hype.

Still, I think he better cash out with one final big bang while he can. Because his 15 minutes are almost up.

Agreed 100%.

Post #5   11/13/08 11:08:42AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i still (althought i am not a fan of kimbo) say that if he spends the time working his way up the ranks.. we could potentially see him in the UFC.. but no more hy7pe and just training. I hope he sticks with mma.

Post #6   11/13/08 7:13:57PM   

Sledge23

Banned

Career:34-21
Chips:
At first i heard that Dana wants Kimbo in the UFC and in TUF.
But then i later heard that dana said that he doesnt but the only way he could get in was through TUF.
Can anyone Clear this up?

Post #7   11/14/08 1:16:31PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
The kimbo hype machine is dead and nothing is going to resurect it. I THINK HE WILL GO TO Japan and fight some freakshow fights, with Choi or whomever.

Post #8   11/14/08 5:40:17PM