Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wins in Pride/UFC you consider fluke wins

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Got inspired by a good thread on sherdog.net and got curious what your opinions about this were.

Wins I consider fluke wins are:
Coleman´s win over Shogun
Yamamoto´s win over Kerr
Vitale´s win over Lindland

Another fight that comes to mind is Terrell - Smith but that result was more because of a bad call by the ref than just fluke.

Post #1   3/11/07 2:51:30PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Sokoudjou vs Little nog
Randlemen vs Crocop 1
Coleman vs Shogun
Vitale vs Lindland

Post #2   3/11/07 3:31:46PM   

wkm311

MMA Regular

wkm311 Avatar

Career:66-37
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
I wouldnt say CroCop vs Randleman was a fluke, will it ever happen again? Probably not, but he still threw the punch and it landed.

I would say Lindland knocking himself out was a fluke, and Shogun breaking his arm is another one.

Post #3   3/11/07 3:52:47PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Anderson Silvas wins over Chris Leben and Rich Franklin

Post #4   3/11/07 3:59:52PM   

The_Crippler

Learning to Sprawl

The_Crippler Avatar

Career:155-77
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
lauzon vs. jens pulver for cryin out loud

Post #5   3/11/07 4:20:12PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

good one

Like wkm I find it hard to consider Soko and Randleman´s KOs lucky. They train MMA. They train to knock people out and that's what they did by throwing those punches.

Post #6   3/11/07 4:22:56PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

good one

Like wkm I find it hard to consider Soko and Randleman´s KOs lucky. They train MMA. They train to knock people out and that's what they did by throwing those punches.

I'm glad someone picked up on my joke!

Post #7   3/11/07 5:23:00PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

good one

So only people slamming/tripping themselfs into knockout/injury counts as a fluke?

Post #8   3/11/07 5:58:05PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
IMO accidents count as flukes. Randleman tried to hit CroCop´s head with that left. Coleman didn't intend to trip Shogun so that he would fall and break his arm.

Post #9   3/11/07 6:07:58PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
TITO ORTIZ VS KEN SHAMROCK 1!!! FOR GODS SAKE!! JEEZE!

JUST KIDDIN ALL, THAT WAS A BEAT DOWN

Post #10   3/11/07 6:09:54PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Cro Cop expected Randleman to shoot that's why he lowered his guard to sprawl but got hit (hard) by Randleman, it was no fluke.

Lauzon's victory over Pulver was no fluke either (similar to the above explanation). Although Pulver was not in the right mentality during that fight so I guess you could argue that it was a "fluke." Meh, Pulver is not the same since fighting in PRIDE and being KO'd by Gomi.

Man, it is hard to define what a "fluke" win is ... I suppose it is a lucky punch since its rare for people to actually jump into a triangle choke. Then again, is it considered luck if you threw a punch with the intent of knocking someone out?

Post #11   3/11/07 6:23:47PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
A win caused by a strike that I would count as a fluke though is TK against Fedor since he clipped him with an illegal blow (elbow) and his intention was hitting him with the hand.
That's outside of UFC/Pride though.

Post #12   3/11/07 6:25:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,045-1,154
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I have to say there are no real fluke wins if someone actually trains MMA, just highly unlikely outcomes sometimes.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   3/11/07 6:30:53PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Sokoudjou vs Little nog
Randlemen vs Crocop 1
Coleman vs Shogun
Vitale vs Lindland

Your last two I agree with, the first two I don't. When you throw the punch and it connects, lights out.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #14   3/11/07 7:03:49PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Career:11-12
Chips:
If Lindland's loss to Vitale is a fluke then so is Arona's to Shogun. If you throw someone and they shift their weight so you land on your head that's not a fluke, especially with that type of throw.

If you break your arm posting that's not a fluke either, there's a good reason they train you not to do that in Judo when you're being thrown.

If you get KO'ed because someone throws a punch at your jawline that's not a fluke either.

A fluke was BJ seperating his ribs taking Matt's back. There wasn't any precedent for it.

Another fluke (albeit in Abu Dhabi) was Chris Brennan seperating his rib when Marcelo Garcia armbarred him. The win wasn't a fluke but the method was.

Yamamoto's win over Kerr was a fluke, Kerr has been wrestling for ages and a double leg takedown doesn't get you KOed.

Mirko's win over Barnett in the first fight was a Fluke. How often do you break someone's arm with an overhook?

Post #15   3/11/07 8:24:53PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3