Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sonnen Thrown Off By Filho's Tactics

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Chael Sonnen traveled to Hollywood, Fla. with the goal of winning the World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight title and avenging a previous loss to Paulo Filho. He avenged the loss, but left the "Sunshine State" without the belt.

Originally scheduled as a five-round title bout, the fight was relegated to a three-round non-title match after Filho failed to make weight. Sonnen was disappointed that his title shot ended when Filho stepped on the scales, but he tried to remain focused on the fight. "It was heartbreaking. It really hurt me alot. And I sort of went through the denial phase to make it through the 24 hours," Sonnen said at the post-fight press conference.

"I even kind of had to lie to myself in order to put it out of my mind. But I worked really hard and I wanted to get that championship," added the 31-year old fighter. "I can't spin it any other way. It really hurt."

LINK

Post #1   11/7/08 5:34:51AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,253-1,327
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Chael deserves the belt. Filho is clearly not a man of his word as he did say if Chael beat him that he would give him the belt. So why didnt this happen?

Post #2   11/7/08 8:08:57AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Chael deserves the belt. Filho is clearly not a man of his word as he did say if Chael beat him that he would give him the belt. So why didnt this happen?

I agree, but it really doesn't matter that much seeing as how the Middlweight division is getting swallowed by the UFC.

Post #3   11/7/08 8:46:27AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
This is what i was saying in another post, chael's mindset changed and I think he fought much different in the second fight because what did he really have to gain by beating a guy who didnt train for the fight and the belt wasnt on the line.

Post #4   11/7/08 10:35:15AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Did Fihlo looked stoned off his ass in that fight or is it just me.....

Post #5   11/7/08 3:00:34PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This is what i was saying in another post, chael's mindset changed and I think he fought much different in the second fight because what did he really have to gain by beating a guy who didnt train for the fight and the belt wasnt on the line.

I agree.. I think fhilio realized he got lucky in the first fight... He did not look like he prepared at all.. I think he figured he does not make weight.. he will not lose the title and he can say he retired the WEC belt... i think the WEC should strip Fhilio of his belt... mayb enot award it to Sonnen... though he deserves it.. but Fhilio does not even if it is no longer valid. I lost all the respect I had for Fhilio after that fight.

Post #6   11/7/08 4:28:54PM