Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Filho: “It was good to give me new spirit”

Print  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
“The loss isn’t good, but that’s good to learn. We need more focus, responsibility, and the weight is a problem… What happened yesterday we’ll forget and start all over again. We’ll train here and get our rematch with Sonnen, and then go to light-heavyweight division”, revealed Distak.

link

Post #1   11/6/08 7:09:11PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
And this coming from Filho's trainer, Amaury Bittetti:

"Actually Paulão didn't train at all... this is the truth. He thought he was well prepared but he wasn't. He was a brave fighter, he could stand against all Sonnen's strikes and I can say if it was another guy receiveing all that damage from Sonnen, this guy would give up. I don't want to underrate Sonnen because he is a good fighter. He is a good wrestler, has a decent striking and he proved it all. He trained a lot for this fight and deserved the win. The only positive thing I can take from it is that Paulão was a brave warrior, he didn't surrender, even in the state the he was. He is a samurai, from Calrson Gracie lineage and never gives up. He may faint but he carries on. Being honest, I thought it would happen. We (he is referring himself, Wallid and Distak who were at Paulão's corner) were here as supporters and friends. Even Wallid came here to root for Paulão but if you talk about training... we didn't practice a single training session. Me, Distak and Tonico came here as his brothers. We're here for the friendship, because we are together winning or losing. He is our brother, it's different. Sonnen felt Paulão wasn't feeling good. Even Sonnen didn't enjoy the fight."

"Well, talking about the weight issue... it just showed everyone that he wasn't prepared. He came to here sad, he wasn't focused. His mind was in somewhere else. I've travelled some days ago to train with Minotauro and Minotouro, and Distak travelled to train with Anderson Silva. We invited him to come along but he denied. We cannot do miracles. If he doesn't practice with the right sparrings it will never work. Nowadays everyone is very professional."

Post #2   11/6/08 7:11:35PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Wow, of course weight is going to be a problem when you dont train for a fight.

But my question is did chael even train for that fight, because it was a boring fight.

Post #3   11/6/08 7:37:37PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
There is no doubt Chael trained for that fight LOL.....he was in tremendous shape. However when your in a fight against a guy who's biggest offensive surge was to lay on his back what are you supposed to do? Get right down on the ground and lay there with a submission artist that is horribly out of shape? Filho needs to get his head together whatever personal issues is dealing with just followed him into the octagon and he embarrassed himself.

Post #4   11/6/08 8:05:11PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Filho's striking is too basic and lack luster, I would think he gets beaten by everyone with a good to decent sprawl, with a stacked division like LHW it'll be hard for him to find his way in there. Not saying he can't do well, just saying that I don't think he'll ever hold the belt, at least not with the current landscape of the LHW division.

Post #5   11/6/08 8:18:53PM   

nippletits

Learning to Sprawl

nippletits Avatar

Career:203-148
Camp: The Bonus Hole
Chips:
chael not train? He did exactly what he had to do to win that fight. It may not have been the most exciting, in fact I may have slept through some of it, but Chael did get caught the last time he met with Paulo.
Not sure what Paulo is on, but he def did not look good. He didnt even look like he was in the cage with Chael.

After seeing Paulo in his last two fights, I am starting to think he needs to go hang out with Kimbo in ally ways to earn some loot...

Post #6   11/6/08 8:19:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
well shit it didnt seem that chael was doing as much striking as last time either, but who knows i may have fallen asleep during the fight.

Post #7   11/6/08 8:29:35PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

well shit it didnt seem that chael was doing as much striking as last time either, but who knows i may have fallen asleep during the fight.

Filho was horrible but sonnen wasn't good.... There was a lot he could have done Like punch him in the face just to name the most obvious

I would send either of these fighter to the main stage of the UFC maybe the could be unaired Fight Night fights

Post #8   11/6/08 9:37:10PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
yup, I'm pretty sure Filho made a complete joke of himself.

Not training for a fight is the dumbest thing you can do in mma, especially when you're going to be fighting a guy that was winning the first fight until he got caught... cleary Filho's head isn't on right

It's a shame he's so stupid... he has a lot of potential

Post #9   11/6/08 10:02:17PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Just imagine if Paulo was fighting franklin in that fight, who all the pride ball suckers think hed own without braking a sweat. His liver would be decimated by kicks, and his face would be about as messed up as Wandys after Mirko put that beatdown on him in the second fight.

Paulo is a great fighter, lets not even put that into doubt. but he hes terrbile striking, and average at best takedowns. I mean, imagine him against hendo? he wouldnt even come close to a takedown! He should fight Maia imo, that would be a very interesting match up.

Post #10   11/6/08 10:45:47PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
yeah i mean sonnen should have done more stand up because i think it was in the first where paulo was just laying on his back and sonnen was just standing there kicking his legs.

Well since paulo wasnt prepared for the fight and didnt make weight, I think that chael's mindset changed to less intense.

I guess we will see how they transition to the ufc, if paulo can battle his issues and continue to fight. I think chael will do alright like 4-3 some wins and losses.

Post #11   11/7/08 12:26:37AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Just imagine if Paulo was fighting franklin in that fight, who all the pride ball suckers think hed own without braking a sweat. His liver would be decimated by kicks, and his face would be about as messed up as Wandys after Mirko put that beatdown on him in the second fight.

Paulo is a great fighter, lets not even put that into doubt. but he hes terrbile striking, and average at best takedowns. I mean, imagine him against hendo? he wouldnt even come close to a takedown! He should fight Maia imo, that would be a very interesting match up.

You cant rate paulo on that perfomance alone(or his last 3 for that matter) .The man has some serious issues . 2 Years ago he had excellent takedowns. I would closely compare his game to jacare , accept paulo has a better chin . He didn't train for last nights fight and was facing a div 1 wrestler who is very underated himself . If you think last night was a typical paulo filho performance you need to go watch the pride bushido dvds . The man has some serious issues to work out .

Post #12   11/7/08 2:12:03AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Filho is an excellent fighter. He's always been a little weird, but he's at that age where mental problems come out, I personally think he's got a mental dis order and I wish him the best.

Post #13   11/7/08 2:17:31AM   

Bobby-B-Bonkers

banned

Bobby-B-Bonkers Avatar

Career:111-50
Chips:
Paulo will get destroyed at Light Heavy, (in my opinion), so does this mean we can look 4ward to Paulo and Chuck fight, instead of Anderson and Chuck??? I hope NOT!

Post #14   11/7/08 2:19:31AM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
It's obvious, the way he was acting, Filho is mentally sick. Some time ago he got medical attention for depression, but it looks worse than that to me. Fighting can build a lot of emotional pressure on you and if your mind isn't right, this can be very dangerous for your mental health. He definitely needs to stop fighting until he is fully recovered, and i hope he will.
I'm pretty sure he won't fight in the ufc's 205 division in the near future. First, it is more important that he get healthy and second, i don't think the ufc mangement takes fighters, that don't train.

Post #15   11/7/08 10:27:52AM