Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Brown On Taking The Title From Faber

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Mike Brown shocked a few people when he stopped the seemingly-unbeatable Urijah Faber in last night’s WEC featherweight title clash.

But one person who was not surprised was Brown himself. Speaking to Fighters Only earlier, he said that he felt very confident going into the cage, and knew that the belt was almost certainly his when he dropped Faber before pounding him out on the ground.

“I felt really great man, I was in a good place. Out back with all my teammates there, being at home... it was just a great weekend,” he said.

“I got in there and just fought. Caught him with a good shot and then just jumped on him and finished him off.”

When Faber dropped, he landed on his hands and knees with Brown glued to his side and working relentlessly for the finish.

“I knew he was hurt and I wanted to finish him, I was swinging hard," he recalled.

"But it’s kind of hard to punch somebody when they are on their belly because you are not allowed to hit the back of the head. So I had to look for the shots, I threw a lot of uppercuts under the armpit.”

While those underarm swings landed flush on Faber’s chin and prompted the referee to wave the fight off, they also took their toll on Brown.

Viewers saw him complain of a pain in his ribs as he rose to his feet and an x-ray later confirmed he had sustained some damage.

“I tore some cartilage in my rib in the fight when I was swinging at the end. I went to get it checked out and they said I will be out for four to six weeks,” he revealed.

The forced rest will not bother the new champion though – the long training camp for this fight means he welcomed the opportunity to bow out of training for a short while.

Brown now holds the crown in a stacked featherweight division which includes the likes of Leonard Garcia and the newly-signed Wageny Fabiano.

LINK

Post #1   11/6/08 1:14:10PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The weirdest thing about that whole fight is that mike brown finished just in time as the show was ending and just in time for me to tune into TUF.

Frank Mir was pointing out that Faber doesnt really have any weakness but on his fighter profile it kinda said that faber does some risky moves to try to get a finish. That is what mike brown took advantage of, faber with that wild elbow and brown with the counter punch to finish it.

So Mike Brown vs Leonard Garcia in Feb for the title?

Post #2   11/6/08 2:28:08PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Not to take away from Brown, but I think Faber did himself in with that fancy elbow attempt. I have a feeling Faber wins against Brown 9 times out of 10 and I'd like to see a rematch. But, I also want to see Garcia get a chance at the shot after upsetting Pulver.

Solution: Garcia vs. Faber for the shot.

Post #3   11/6/08 2:32:57PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:409-233
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Not to take away from Brown, but I think Faber did himself in with that fancy elbow attempt. I have a feeling Faber wins against Brown 9 times out of 10 and I'd like to see a rematch. But, I also want to see Garcia get a chance at the shot after upsetting Pulver.

Thats exactly what i said after watching the fights.

Post #4   11/6/08 3:11:31PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Congrats to Brown, its something to take out Faber. Faber will be just fine, he got caught and every champ needs to lose.

Post #5   11/6/08 3:58:01PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

I agree totally. Garcia vs. Faber would make for a great fight, and I think that this was a very GSP vs. Matt Serra scenario, Urijah didn't know what he was coming up against and Mike Brown shocked him with a good right hand, he was trying to be way too fancy and got caught. Thats what happens when you're too risky, not everyone can be Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida and just impossible to hit flush with a good punch, I have a feeling Faber works at a similar speed but just didn't expect a punch to hurt what me and my friends call "The Chin", I think if he didn't run into it, he wouldn't have been KO'd, but physics was the real victor.

Post #6   11/6/08 4:27:14PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
Wow he got caught and caught hard not only did Mike Browns punch hit him but he ran right into it.

Post #7   11/6/08 4:36:52PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
Ya it was a good wake up call for Faber. Also its a good up and coming rematch and to test Faber to see if he's really that good and can compete against everyone else who is hungry for that belt.

Post #8   11/6/08 4:50:58PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
MIke Brown looked good in this fight. He knew what to expect from Faber and shut him down. In a rematch I dont see Faber trying to pull out them moves again. But I got to say, that I see Faber losing the rematch too. Maybe it's just me though.

Post #9   11/6/08 4:51:35PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
When Urijah was tossed to the ground he instantly picked up the pace. It was pretty apparent he didn't like gettig tossed like that, and he was determined to make a statement. Turned out to be a big mistake, because Mike seemed to be looking for something wild to counter, and when he threw Anderson Silva's signature move he got hammered.

It'll be interesting to see if we'll see a more conservative Urijah from now on, because getting caught like that changes a fighter sometimes.

Until the TKO they seemed pretty evenly matched. Power versus speed. In th clinch Mike seemed much stronger and I think Urijah was surprised that he couldn't take him down with ease. When they meet again Urijah is going to have some tough obstacles to overcome.

Post #10   11/6/08 5:04:15PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,478-836
Chips:

Posted by StriderXero

MIke Brown looked good in this fight. He knew what to expect from Faber and shut him down. In a rematch I dont see Faber trying to pull out them moves again. But I got to say, that I see Faber losing the rematch too. Maybe it's just me though.

I agree, but I think I've become biased due to Frank and the other guy fawning all over Faber for every second of his fights. I just can't take the broadcast team complimenting one fighter so many times during a fight.

If I do look at it logically though, I come to the same conclusion. Faber couldn't handle the power and takedown defense of Tyson Griffin, and I think Mike has similar attributes.

Post #11   11/7/08 2:43:11AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

I think I've become biased due to Frank and the other guy fawning all over Faber for every second of his fights. I just can't take the broadcast team complimenting one fighter so many times during a fight.

for real its like watching brett favre in his prime or brandon vera at heavyweight.

Post #12   11/7/08 2:46:50AM   

Bobby-B-Bonkers

banned

Bobby-B-Bonkers Avatar

Career:111-50
Chips:
I'd like to see either Faber move up and fight Tyson Griffin, OR, stay at Featherweight and have Miguel Torres move up and fight him.....

I know these are both longshots, but I'd like to see it happen.

Post #13   11/7/08 2:47:01AM