Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Couture talks training for "worst-case scenario" (video)

Print  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
"Inside MMA" video: Randy Couture on "worst-case-scenario" UFC 91 training

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 05, 2008 at 4:25 pm ET

As UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture prepares for next week's UFC 91 main event with Brock Lesnar, the 45-year-old fighter is preparing for all scenarios.

But seeing how he's giving up 14 years of age, 40 pounds and an inch of height, Couture is preparing for one specific scenario more than others.

Couture discussed the fight and his "worst-case-scenario training" while a recent guest of HDNet's "Inside MMA." Thanks to our partnership with the weekly MMA news show, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) now present a clip of the strategy talk.

The Nov. 15 main event fight, which takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, pits a UFC hall-of-famer -- one who's fought for a title in 14 of his 24 professional fights -- against a UFC rookie who owns a mere 2-1 career record.

However, Couture knows that Lesnar, a former WWE superstar who was also an NCAA Division I national wrestling champion, isn't your typical three-fight vet.

"I've been putting my self in worst-case-scenario training," said Couture, who's filled his Las Vegas-based Xtreme Couture gym with heavyweight training partners. "You've got to be on the bottom. If this guy takes me down, I've got to be able to survive and get up and scramble and get out from underneath him. I can't lie down there and give up rounds."

However, the three-time Olympic Greco-Roman wrestling alternate still thinks his bread and butter -- dirty boxing -- can be a viable strategy.

"I still feel comfortable in the clinch and using cage tactics. I was there with Tim (Sylvia). They don't get much bigger than Tim, and Gabe (Gonzaga) was certainly a big, strong guy," said Couture, referring to his two most recent victories. "I don't think Brock is any different in that situation. I'm going to feel pretty comfortable putting him there if he gives me the chance to."

For more on the fight, and Couture's thoughts on why a fight with former PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko is unlikely ever to happen, check out the embedded clip.

Post #1   11/6/08 10:04:41AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:
Actually, Randy doesn't say that much about his training. Can't have expected him to, I guess. Bas is amusing, though, as always.

Post #2   11/6/08 10:32:28AM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

"I still feel comfortable in the clinch and using cage tactics. I was there with Tim (Sylvia). They don't get much bigger than Tim, and Gabe (Gonzaga) was certainly a big, strong guy," said Couture, referring to his two most recent victories. "I don't think Brock is any different in that situation. I'm going to feel pretty comfortable putting him there if he gives me the chance to."

i would have to think that brock would be ALOT stronger then tim and prolly gabe too. just a guess

Post #3   11/6/08 12:01:39PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

i would have to think that brock would be ALOT stronger then tim and prolly gabe too. just a guess

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think he isa few levels more stringer than those 2.

Post #4   11/6/08 12:27:45PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:
He may or may not be stronger in a sheer physical sense, but he's clearly a better wrestler than either Sylvia or Gonzaga. Couture was way over their heads in that department, and I don't think he'll enjoy the same advantage against Lesnar.

Post #5   11/6/08 12:41:02PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Don't let me down Old Timer!!!

Post #6   11/6/08 12:42:56PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:
I want Randy to win, but I really think that Lesnar is going to take this fight.

Post #7   11/7/08 7:33:37PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

I want Randy to win, but I really think that Lesnar is going to take this fight.

i have to agree. i dont think Randy can manhandle Lesnar like he did Gonzaga and Silvia.

Post #8   11/8/08 2:49:25AM   

Bobby-B-Bonkers

banned

Bobby-B-Bonkers Avatar

Career:111-50
Chips:
Randy ALWAYS had trouble with stronger wrestlers....keep this in mind also

Post #9   11/8/08 5:16:13AM