Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ask the Doc: Should rounds be extended to five minutes for female MMA fights?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
In this week's edition of "Ask the Doc," I want to respond to the many questions I get about extending the length of rounds for women's MMA bouts.

As most of you know, standard practice has been for women to compete with three, three-minute rounds (rather than the five-minute rounds found in men's MMA).

Should women be treated equally in this sense? I'm going to discuss the topic from the perspective of a doctor -- and a fan.

Let's start by dealing with any potential bias that I may have. I am not a huge fan of the current level of televised women's MMA.

But I truly believe that anyone who wants to compete should be afforded the opportunity. I just don't enjoy a bout that lacks a high level of skill. Man or woman, it makes no difference to me. If you suck, you suck, bottom line. Over time, you may improve -- and when you do, let me know, and I'll watch enthusiastically.

But not until then.

LINK

Post #1   11/5/08 8:23:18AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

There should be no difference in round length or number of rounds.

This isn't tennis.

Post #2   11/5/08 10:00:14AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Dr. Johnny Benjamin really shouldn't ever be drawing parallels to boxing, even if their valid if he want to survive in the shark tank that is mma news. Furthermore I think that the addition of 5 minute rounds would give Women's MMA more of a chance to mature. You don't get better by fighting with one glove tied behind your back every time, you get better by being taken into deep waters and pushing one's self. If someone gets injured in the ring/cage well then they knew that risk going in. The women fighting don't need you to be chivalrous towards them Dr. Johnny Benjamin. I didn't enjoy this article, it read like it was from an outsiders perspective who was looking in.

Post #3   11/5/08 10:50:23AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
womens mma?

Post #4   11/5/08 3:31:25PM