Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Leben test postitive for Stanzanol

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
Dave Meltzer is reporting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=An8vzcyJeVoY2TvzMQIaqxs9Eo14?slug=dm-espnmma110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Chris Leben became the first high-profile fighter suspended by the Ultimate Fighting Championships for failing a drug test, when results came back positive on Monday for the steroid Stanazolol in a test administered after his three-round loss to Michael Bisping on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England.

The UFC suspended Leben for nine months and fined him one-third of his undisclosed fight purse.

Several UFC fighters, including champions like Tim Sylvia, Sean Sherk and Josh Barnett, had been suspended and forced to relinquish their championships after positive tests administered by both the Nevada and California State Athletic Commissions.

Because UFC events held in the United Kingdom are not under the auspices of a commission, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, Marc Ratner, who for years headed the Nevada commission, performs many of the duties normally associated with an athletic commission for those events.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am obviously disappointed with Chris, who has made great strides getting his life back on track,” said UFC president Dana White. “To his credit, he has taken responsibility for his actions and is accepting the punishment that has been handed down. But as always, the UFC puts the safety of its athletes first and foremost, and we won’t tolerate anyone using performance enhancing drugs in our organization.”

“I’ve really done everything I can to turn my life around,” said Leben.

“And this is a huge setback for me. But it’s something I will have to deal with. During my time off from fighting, I want to speak to kids about the dangers of using performance enhancing agents and let them know it just doesn’t get you ahead in life. Of course, this is a hard hit for me monetarily, but more so this is embarrassing for me and for all my fans.”

UFC tested all 22 fighters at UFC 89 both before and after their matches.

White said that Leben admitted to him using the drug, also known as Winstrol V, but believed it had enough time to clear his system. Leben, 18-5, one of the company’s most well-known fighters stemming from his appearance on the first season of Ultimate Fighter, said he used the drug shortly after his win over Alessio Sakara in March. While usually clearing your system in about three weeks, Stanazolol can show up in tests for several months.

Post #1   11/3/08 4:21:32PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Leben is a cheater, shame on him, hope to never see him in the UFC again.

Post #2   11/3/08 4:27:46PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Makes Bisping's victory all the more sweet

Post #3   11/3/08 4:28:35PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
What a fake change of heart. He goes from attempting to cheat less than a few weeks ago to saying he wants to talk to kids about the dangers of using it; he's only sorry because he got caught. Props to Dana White and the UFC for the suspension and fine even though no athletic commission was in charge of this in England.

Post #4   11/3/08 4:41:22PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Just one that got caught out of many that are using.

Here I go again with my rant- close to 50% of pro athletes or more are using or have used at one point.

Glad to hear it's being caught, though. With him using Winny V it's no wonder he was so ripped. Sad day but an ultimate reality of professional sports

Post #5   11/3/08 4:44:06PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

even though no athletic commission was in charge of this in England.

Don't even start on that lol.

Post #6   11/3/08 4:46:05PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Wow. I saw a headline about a major suspension on Meltzer's site but you had to be a member there to access it. Kinda sad considering how he really seemed to be trying to turn things around after what happened with jail and everything, but now he's taken 2 steps back since that 1 step forward. Hopefully he can come back from this too.

Last edited 11/3/08 4:48PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Typos

Post #7   11/3/08 4:48:00PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Sad to hear this, Leben looked to be changing his way. Hopefully he keeps the same attitude that changed him for the better, but shame he used steroids.

Good to see the UFC testing the fighters in countries that dont have the drug testing in place. Shows how serious they are about cleaning up the sport, and by doing this it legitimizes that this is a true sport.

Post #8   11/3/08 4:55:11PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

What a fake change of heart. He goes from attempting to cheat less than a few weeks ago to saying he wants to talk to kids about the dangers of using it; he's only sorry because he got caught. Props to Dana White and the UFC for the suspension and fine even though no athletic commission was in charge of this in England.

your totally right. hes sorry because he was caught. too bad ROGER GODELL wasnt in charge of this case maybe i would never have to worry about watching a leben fight again, or hearing his lies again

Last edited 11/4/08 12:11AM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   11/3/08 4:55:12PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Wow. I saw a headline about a major suspension on Meltzer's site but you had to be a member there to access it. Kinda sad considering how he really seemed to be trying to turn things around after what happened with jail and everything, but now he's taken 2 steps back since that 1 step forward. Hopefully he can come back from this too.

seems to me like you watn to give him 100 second chances

Post #10   11/3/08 4:56:35PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:
Someone like Chris who's so obviously a little unstable shouldn't be taking stuff like steroids, he already showed he has enough roid rage without the roids when he was on TUF.

Post #11   11/3/08 5:00:56PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
First up be careful about what words you choose to describe your feelings on the situation, to me that's borderline fighter bashing. Keep the insensitive comments to yourself.

Secondly, not a hundred chances, I'm a fairly firm believer in "3 Strikes, You're Out". So this might be strike 2 with the prior arrest and jail time being strike 1. If he were to fail another drug test or get into legal trouble again, or at least something more serious than last time, he's out of UFC for good.

Post #12   11/3/08 5:01:12PM   

The_Omega

Learning to Sprawl

The_Omega Avatar

Career:79-68
Chips:
This is so disappointing. I had never been a fan of his due to his antics in the past, but I was slowly coming around to him since I thought he had cleaned his life up. Blatantly cheating has just ended the chance of me ever being a fan of his. It would be nice if he could set his life straight and take fighting seriously, but cheating is not the way to go to make yourself seem like a professional.

Post #13   11/3/08 5:12:39PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Makes Bisping's victory all the more sweet

Couldn't agree more.

Post #14   11/3/08 5:16:35PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

Posted by DCRage

seems to me like you watn to give him 100 second chances

you never needed a second chance at anything.....ever hear about casting stones???

ok i know the guy cheated and hes since been suspended and fined, what more should really be done to the guy? he is a professional fighter, not running for office or a priest, so lets not hold him to a standard that doesnt fit his lifestyle, or even one we wouldnt hold ourselves to. he screwed up, he is obviously sorry he got caught more than anything or he would have beeen talking to kids about the dangers of drugs beforehand, but how many of us on here are talking with kids about things we got caught doing that we arent supposed to? so go ahead and get mad at the guy, be disappointed in him, do what you have to do its your right, but take a good hard look in the mirror when doing so.

Last edited 11/3/08 5:31PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   11/3/08 5:25:45PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>