Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alves To Wait For Shot At GSP's Belt

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
For Alves, the seventh victory is the last step before a title shot. “I wanna get this belt and bring it to Brazil. The said that the winner of this fight would get a title shot, and now I have the option to wait (after Georges St. Pierre’s fight with BJ Penn) or do another fight, it’s my choice, but I think I’ll wait”, said Alves,

LINK

Post #1   11/3/08 1:45:14PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Makes sense to me. A match against a lesser opponent would probably be a bigger risk than it would be worth. I think a rematch with Jon Fitch is the only other match that makes sense for him, and I don't think Fitch would have a lot to gain from that right now. If Alves were to beat GSP, I could see Fitch being his first title defense.

Post #2   11/3/08 2:04:18PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,496-1,195
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Makes sense to me. A match against a lesser opponent would probably be a bigger risk than it would be worth. I think a rematch with Jon Fitch is the only other match that makes sense for him, and I don't think Fitch would have a lot to gain from that right now. If Alves were to beat GSP, I could see Fitch being his first title defense.

I agree but I would like to see the rematch with Fitch win or lose the fight with GSP.

He must not be too hard up for money if he is willing to wait that long for his next fight.

Post #3   11/3/08 2:13:14PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I really dont like fighters "waiting" it out for a title shot. It makes me feel like the fighter values challenging for the title, or being part of a main event more than they value being the best in the division. When karo started ducking fights because he felt like if he was inactive for a year he'd get a titleshot i actually got a warning from the mods for bashing him.

It always made sense that if the title needed a contender, you take whoever looks to be no1. If the title doesnt need a contender (like right now), then the top contenders should keep fighting until the title needs a contender. If it werent for penn, then alves would fight for the title, and he deserves it. I'm a huge alves fan and thinks he has the best chance at beating gsp right now. With that said, I dont respect his decision to wait until next summer before he fights next because he's afraid he might lose between now and then and then not get his title shot. People are gonna say its the strategic decision... but i honestly think its the cowards way. Fighters who are gonna duck top competition so they can ensure their title shot are focused more on being champ for a day than being the best in the world.

Alves should fight fitch. Its marketable because it'll be a great fight and because fitch is alves' last loss. If alves wins, then he's essentially cleared out the contenders at 170, and the timing will be right to fight for the title next. If he loses to fitch, then he isnt the no1 contender and considering theres a good chance fitch would've been his next defense, theres a good chance he only woulda been champ for a day.

Post #4   11/3/08 2:25:36PM   

WrestlersAssassin

MMA Regular

WrestlersAssassin Avatar

Career:153-86
Chips:
I guess Thiago is picking GSP to win, what he should have said is "a shot a BJ's new belt" this tells me he wants to fight GSP which I think he would win by how dominant he was against Hughes and Koscheck but BJ would probably submit him.

Post #5   11/3/08 2:28:41PM   

WrestlersAssassin

MMA Regular

WrestlersAssassin Avatar

Career:153-86
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I really dont like fighters "waiting" it out for a title shot. It makes me feel like the fighter values challenging for the title, or being part of a main event more than they value being the best in the division. When karo started ducking fights because he felt like if he was inactive for a year he'd get a titleshot i actually got a warning from the mods for bashing him.

It always made sense that if the title needed a contender, you take whoever looks to be no1. If the title doesnt need a contender (like right now), then the top contenders should keep fighting until the title needs a contender. If it werent for penn, then alves would fight for the title, and he deserves it. I'm a huge alves fan and thinks he has the best chance at beating gsp right now. With that said, I dont respect his decision to wait until next summer before he fights next because he's afraid he might lose between now and then and then not get his title shot. People are gonna say its the strategic decision... but i honestly think its the cowards way. Fighters who are gonna duck top competition so they can ensure their title shot are focused more on being champ for a day than being the best in the world.

Alves should fight fitch. Its marketable because it'll be a great fight and because fitch is alves' last loss. If alves wins, then he's essentially cleared out the contenders at 170, and the timing will be right to fight for the title next. If he loses to fitch, then he isnt the no1 contender and considering theres a good chance fitch would've been his next defense, theres a good chance he only woulda been champ for a day.

Why does Thiago have to keep impressing people yet everyone always has a scapegoat to why "he isnt that great"? will nobody acknowledge how good this guy is? or does he have to beat every top 10 before credibility is given? this is getting ridiculous the guy just beat 3 top 10s all of them were in the top 5 when he fought them and your saying he has to beat Fitch (who just lost) just because you dont want him to wait? thats asinine, dana shouldnt be letting BJ fight out of weight class with the belt in the first place and its Thiagos fault for the wait? Randy didnt have to win 1 fight (let alone he didnt beat 3 top 5's)before dana tossed him a freebie at Sylvia and just let Randy back in when Mir and Nog were tied up. Ridiculous

Post #6   11/3/08 2:34:42PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Fitch would have to go on a Koschek like schedule to get a title shot anytime soon.

I think Diego will be the one to challenge for the belt after Penn and Alves.

Post #7   11/3/08 2:50:15PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I really dont like fighters "waiting" it out for a title shot. It makes me feel like the fighter values challenging for the title, or being part of a main event more than they value being the best in the division.

But Thiago won't be considered the best in the division until he holds the belt, and he can't hold the belt until hes fought the champion, and the champion now is GSP, so how's he supposed to be considered the best in the division without fighting GSP?

Your argument makes absolutely no sense.

Post #8   11/3/08 2:55:13PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:
Alves just beat 3 high ranked opponents in a row, in dominating fashion. I dont think he needs another fight at all. He's done more than anyone else in the division and i have no problem with him waiting for his shot, which he earned.

Post #9   11/3/08 3:23:44PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,617-927
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
I think its a smart move on Alves's part too. He's worked hard to get where he's at. If he lost to lesser competition now that's all down the tube and he has to get back in line. As we all know, anything can happen in MMA and you have to sieze the opportunity to get a shot at the title while its there.

Post #10   11/3/08 4:23:29PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Smart move, but in a way it could be detrimental as he'll probably have to sit out for a whle and accumulate some ring rust. GSP usually likes to train at least 3 months for an opponent so he's probably looking at sitting out at least six months. I don't think there are really that many dangerous opponents for him so I'd like to see him stay busy in the meantime. Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't sort of thing.

I kind of liked Kenny Florian's attitude about fighting for a title. Yeah he could sit out, and wait for BJ, but he wants to fight top guys, whether it's Joe Stevenson, BJ Penn or whoever. He's not going to be payed more for winning a title or defending a title.

The title itself is really an arbitrary sort of thing. Beating top guys makes you #1 in my book, not just holding a title. I just don't think a future title shot should keep him from fighting the best guys in the division.

Last edited 11/3/08 6:21PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/3/08 5:11:01PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
i got no problem with that move, Thiago has definitly earned a title shot

Post #12   11/3/08 6:55:38PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
I hae no problem with Thaigo taking some time off to wait for his shot. He deserves a title shot more than anyone who isn't getting one.

I love kenny florian's style in everything. Him taking this fight with stevenson is just another boss move.

But i don't fault alves. If he were to take another fight, it'd be brownie points in my book, but he really doesn't need them. There are kind of extrenuating circumstances in this case. penn is jumping up to devision he hasn't been in for quite some time and getting an automatic title shot (he definitely is qualified, but it still bothers me). If he wasnt being gifted this shot, alves would have it for sure. So you can't really hate on him for adjusting to the situation the UFC has set up. He'll be back soon enough.

btw, kenny florian still finishes fights.

Post #13   11/3/08 7:06:37PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Yeah I feel Alves has earned his shot and then some. This is an important decision for him at this point is his career. Sure 'honor' and the competition and all that crap are important. However keep in mind that fighting is an occupation for these men and they do it to make a living. With that said it is stupid to risk all the work Alves has done in the last year and a bit on a fight that will essentially gain him nothing but respect. He's getting a main event fight next so with a business perspective in mind it would be just alpha male retarded to take a fight before the WW title fight . Best case scenario he wins and gains nothing, worst case he loses and loses everything. Hmmm....bet he had to think about that long.

Post #14   11/3/08 8:14:12PM   

The_Omega

Learning to Sprawl

The_Omega Avatar

Career:79-68
Chips:
Good for Alves. For one, the risk of any major injuries during a fight taking place before fighting for a title will not occur. He can still get hurt while training though, but so can anybody. Secondly, with this attitude of waiting for his title match, hopefully he's in the gym now training for a potential fight with both GSP and BJ Penn and not sitting around and waiting for the winner. I don't know Alves' training regiment, so he could be training right now, but there are guys around who relax for awhile after their fight and then just cram training in within the last couple months before their next fight.

GSP and BJ Penn are both top-of-the-line fighters, and Alves should be using this time now to be preparing for the both of them well in advance. Not taking a fight until his title match will ensure that his focus remains on GSP and Penn.

Post #15   11/3/08 8:34:16PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2