Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anthony Johnson on Kevin Burns, Steve Mazzagatti

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fighthype has an article up with Anthony Johnson in which he discusses his upcoming, and controversial previous, fight with Kevin Burns.

On the previous fight eye pokage outcome:

I was very surprised that they didn't overturn it. I don't know what they were thinking for not overturning it. If I was on steroids or some kind of illegal supplements or something like that, they would have been all over it, but the fact that I had surgery and my vision is clear and I didn't lose my eye, they're fine with that. Nothing seriously really happened. If I would've lost my vision, they would would've made something happen, but right now, they’re not worrying about nothing. They're trying to catch people that's on illegal stuff. They are thinking this is part of the sport and you get hurt like that, but it's more than just a sport. This is my life; this is my career. If something like that would've happened to Chuck Liddel, I guarantee you they would've been all over it, but it's me and, not saying that I'm a nobody, but you know what I'm saying. It is what it is and I'm not tripping.

LINK

Post #1   10/31/08 2:01:40PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
i totally agree....the bigger the star the bigger the microscope....jordan rules in basketball....bottomline, should have been a no contest, or a dq....if any decision would be made, should have been for a johnson win just like they do when he kick someone on the ground or in the junk.

Post #2   10/31/08 2:08:35PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
Agree.

Eye pokes are illegal, just like kicks to the groin, headbutts, or punches to the back of the head.

Even if unintentional, if the fight ends as the result of one of those things, it should be ruled a DQ..... at the very least a NC.

People will argue that the ref ruled it a TKO in the ring so it can't be changed. This is not true. They have overturned several decisions in the past after the fight was over.

Post #3   10/31/08 2:46:03PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Actually they way it should be, as it is in boxing. If a fights is stopped early because of an illegal blow it should be treated as the end of the fight and go to the judges score cards based on what happened prior to that. So Anthony Johnson should have gotten a UD Victory.

Post #4   10/31/08 3:30:09PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
Any way you possibly look at it, AJ should have won that fight and will win the next one.

Post #5   10/31/08 3:54:20PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
I'm not sure that johnson will win the rematch. i think that burns is tough enough to last until the later rounds, when johnson is going to be gassed. if burns stays an underdog bonus i'll for sure be taking him. probably by 3rd round sub, but it could be a split decision, winning round 3 and maybe 2.

either way, i'm pretty excited for this fight.

Post #6   10/31/08 7:19:56PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by ziegler3334

I'm not sure that johnson will win the rematch. i think that burns is tough enough to last until the later rounds, when johnson is going to be gassed. if burns stays an underdog bonus i'll for sure be taking him. probably by 3rd round sub, but it could be a split decision, winning round 3 and maybe 2.

either way, i'm pretty excited for this fight.

What makes you think that though? AJ clearly won the first two rounds, and was on his way to winning round 3 in my opinion.

Post #7   11/1/08 2:39:49PM