Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White ‘lukewarm’ to Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“I think the fight for Silva is one against Liddell on Jan. 31 at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White has been lukewarm on it so far, but it would be a fun battle and it certainly would be a fight that would have Silva motivated…. [White] didn’t seem all that interested. I had talked with him about it in a private phone conversation about 10 days earlier and he was no more interested in it then. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that Dana doesn’t seem enthused by the idea”

Yahoo!Sports reporter Kevin Iole talks about Dana White’s reaction to a potential showdown between UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell in a 205-pound showdown. “The Spider” has just five fights left possibly in his career, which means that the promotion will likely try and get the most out of its most talented fighter before he exits stage left. He recently topped Patrick Cote at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” on October 25 because of a freak knee injury that prevented the Canadian from continuing; however, Silva’s performance was puzzling and received an avalanche of criticism. As a result, he is eager to return to competition as soon as possible to prove that it was just an aberration and not an indication of his ability or representative of his respect for his opponents and the sport. Liddell has lost three of his last four fights, but is still perhaps the most recognized fighter on the roster, making a fight between Silva and Liddell more than likely a huge money maker. “The Iceman” is really the only high profile 205-pound fighter who is available to compete anytime soon besides maybe Keith Jardine.

LINK

Post #1   10/31/08 2:10:24AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
After reading that, Now I wanna see Silva V Jardine, It would be interesting to see how Anderson deals with Keiths wierd style, And Its a fight Jardine 'could' win too. I find that much more interesting than Silva V Liddell....

They should give Liddell an up and comer like Luiz Cane or even Sokou, I know that Liddell is their main boy, But maybe they should use him to make some more stars, Look what happened with Rashard, Suddenly he is a Feared Striker! lol

Post #2   10/31/08 2:59:48AM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
I'd be excited to see anderson fight anybody. but i dont think liddell is the best option. I think a LHW fight would be great, but if theres a fight at MW, i'd prefer to see that. I'm not a fan of champions moving weight classes, like bj penn is doing. I think it will do more harm than good. If silva does jump to 205 again, i still wouldnt say liddell. dont get me wrong, id love to watch that fight, but it think there would be better candidates. Luiz Cane would be a great fit. maybe even soko or jardine.

well, no matter what happens, things can only get better (than the cote fight). Can't wait to enjoy the twilight of anderson silva's career.

Post #3   10/31/08 9:05:56AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
dana's shivers to the notion of silva knocking lidell into retirement
he won't give silva his golden pet

maybe put lidell vs cane or someone
or even a jardine vs lidell 2
right now bad time for lidell no one to fight
he should just wait for shogun in the spring time/summer

Post #4   10/31/08 9:08:34AM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
I'm getting tried of the Chuck Wagon. Dana is protecting him so much. Its the start of boxing before we know it. Chuck should fight whom he wants too. Andy vs Chuck wouldn't be that exciting. Now R. Evans vs Andy Silva would be interesting.

Post #5   10/31/08 9:41:57AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
If Chuck had won his last fight I think this fight would make more sense, but moving up to figh a guy who has lost 3 of 4 seems less than idealistic. Granted he fought Irvin last time out but that's because he was the only guy who would step up.

Right now just about all the LHW's are tied up in other matches. If he's only going to fight a few more times I'd rather wait and see some legitimate fights rather than fighting for the sake of fighting.

Post #6   10/31/08 9:51:51AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Hello ... ??? Dana white ... chucks best mate being luke warm on the idea of putting his best mate liddell up against the greatest MW striker in the world after chuck has just been ko'd by a wrestler !!!?????
Now that may come as a big surprise to some of you, but haey, to me, i knew dana wouldnt even be thinking in the slightest about putting liddell in the octagon with the worlds biggest MMA striker in silva.
Chucks next fight will be against james irvine or houston or some one lower ranked like that. With 3 losses in 4 fights, he should be right at the bottom of the pile by now ... ???

Post #7   10/31/08 10:35:05AM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:

Posted by 4u2nv

I'm getting tried of the Chuck Wagon. Dana is protecting him so much. Its the start of boxing before we know it. Chuck should fight whom he wants too. Andy vs Chuck wouldn't be that exciting. Now R. Evans vs Andy Silva would be interesting.

How is Dana protecting him? His last four fights were against Rampage, Jardine, Wandy, and Evans. I'd hardly call that protecting him so much.

Although I do think it wouldn't make much sense to have someone who just came off a devastating loss fight Anderson.

Post #8   10/31/08 1:35:08PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,617-927
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
I'm sorry but I dont want to see Chuck vs A.Silva, I'm glad Dana doesnt either. Feed the spider only the best so it can grow.

Post #9   10/31/08 1:54:44PM   

TheCelica

Learning to Sprawl

TheCelica Avatar

Career:690-578
Camp: Death
Chips:
Let Machida fight the winner of Evans vs Griffin, and let A. Silva fight the winner of Jackson vs. W. Silva.

Post #10   10/31/08 2:09:00PM   

bzwez

Learning to Sprawl

bzwez Avatar

Career:1,541-948
Camp: Hit squad
Chips:
Chuck vs. Anderson is way more interesting than Jardine vs. Anderson, nobody cares about Jardine, anyway Anderson would fuc up either one!

Post #11   10/31/08 10:19:00PM   

bzwez

Learning to Sprawl

bzwez Avatar

Career:1,541-948
Camp: Hit squad
Chips:
It is all about the name; a fight with Chuck provides a lot of street cred among the common fan, which equals buchu bucks. Anderson would fuc Jardine up, anyway, and although I think he would ko chuck, it would be much more interesting and competitive. Their styles make for the exciting fights. Chuck has not been the counter striker of the past, him and Anderson would be fireworks, guaranteed!

Post #12   10/31/08 10:31:14PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
Im just waiting to find out what the main event for UFC 95 is gona be, when i buy my ticket I want it to be $250 well spent!

Last edited 10/31/08 10:33PM server time by Ben_Hutch
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/31/08 10:33:05PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
Chuck has been loyal to mma and he is one of the biggest reasons for the ufc's success in mainstream whether you want to believe it or not. Just like Tito was before him. Hollywood actors will come out to see Chuck knock someone out the same way Shaq and Korn would come out to watch tito lay some ground and pound.

I'd love to see Chuck Vs Machida, I think it would be a great fight for both people regardless of the outcome.

I don't want to see out of prime Chuck Liddell fight an in prime Anderson Silva. If Anderson knocks out liddell then what? It earns silva no props in the mainstream and hurts one of their biggest ppv sellers even more.

Post #14   11/1/08 6:42:07AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Sounds like a great fight to me! Liddell is the most recgonizable fighter, besides Ttio, and they are both past there prime. I don't think he wants Chuck to take a beating, bcuz he's hoping to promote a chuck comeback...and Silva is unstoppable. It seems to me, that Dana favors chuck, but any other fighter who gets beat 2x is automatically in affliction or strikeforce (or whatever league is still left, for that matter.) I would love nothing more than to see chuck win that fight, and have a comeback. Hopefully that fight will b ufc 100! In the Cote fight, silva wanted to show everyone, he could fight 5 rounds, because very few make it past the 1st or 2nd. Silva may have respect for Franklin and Cote as fighters or people. Silva may also be a humble guy, but behind class, he and everyone knows hes unbeatable for now. The way Silva got beat before was in a flying foot lock(of some type). I doubt we will see that rom Chuck...I love chuck's strikes, but he has taken, wrestling and kicking out of his own game...which is a mistake in my book.(check the gif to see chucks lastkick ko, and why he should still utilize his other skills) Unless chuck can regain that striking dominance he showed 2x against Randy and Tito...Silva will embarass Chuck, and Dana by destroying him. Silva is exciting, but the ease and lack of effort he utilizes when beating top guys, demonstrates even more how dangerous his strikes and long leg submissions are!

Post #15   2/3/09 10:46:02AM