Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mark Cuban's HDNet Purchases IFL Assets

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
For the $650,000 price tag, HDNet will be entitled to all intellectual property, including the IFL’s film, video, and image library; its five-roped competition ring and team trademarks; and proprietary rights, including its Web site. The transaction also includes any remaining broadcast contracts the IFL acquired during its two-year tenure, which includes a deal with FOX Sports Network.

An article up at Cage Potato provides speculation as to what this acquisition could mean in terms of HDNet's desire to promote MMA:

Not that the IFL didn’t put on some good fights, but how much is old fight footage really worth? With the exception of the really good bouts, watching old fights can be a lot like watching old college football games on ESPN Classic, which is to say it appeals to a very select audience, mostly the unemployed and the very, very drunk, either of whom are likely to think they’re watching live TV.

But HDNet seems too savvy to pay that much for a bunch of old fights that have already been aired on Fox Sports Net and MyNetwork, not to mention spread around the internet. So what do you have up your sleeve, HDNet? Don’t tell me you paid more than half a million dollars just to air Chris Horodecki highlights in between old episodes of Hogan’s Heroes. All right, I admit I’d watch that.

LINK

Post #1   10/31/08 2:05:33AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I thought this already happened some time ago>

Post #2   10/31/08 11:48:37AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
watching old fights is nothing like watching old college football games, one person does not change as much as a whole team. I could watch Shultz humilate Horodeski everyday for the rest of my life!

Post #3   10/31/08 1:07:06PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
The IFL had assets left?????

Post #4   10/31/08 1:12:12PM