Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

my reactions to attending UFC 90

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Posted by 4u2nv

Sad thing is Chicago is the closest town for me to see it in, unless it goes back to Ohio. But after seeing the fights and hearing ur exp Chicago aint for me.

Well the great thing is that is seems like whenever the Arnold Classic comes to Ohio each year, the UFC will be there too... this might become a tradition. I will definitely drive out there for it next Spring, since it was such a great experience over there!

As for Chicago, I would say it is still worth it if you only buy a $50 ticket, since that's almost the same cost as a payperview. And the fact that Allstate arena truly does not have a bad seat in the whole place (regarding the view) means you'll at least be close to the action, if not the f$%#@ drunkards!

But seriously, when are the commentators going to be broadcast on AM radio like the hockey games so that I can sit in the stadium using some Bose noise-cancelling headphones to CANCEL OUT the drunkards, and zone in to Rogan's voice!

Post #16   10/27/08 11:11:21PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Yeah I didn't care for the booing. I can even understand it some times but it was just out of control at this event. I don't think I have ever seen it that bad. Also where in the world did they get the some of their refs from.

The one ref that keep saying lets see some action like 2 sec after it hit the ground was driving me crazy. Just shut up and let them fight. If they stall for to long then fine stand them up. But for the love of god don't sit there and say the same thing over and over just because the fight is on the ground. He was saying this even when the guys were very active on the ground.

Post #17   10/27/08 11:52:59PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
Totally agree with what you said. My wife and I sat in section 202 and it was really bad. The constant drunks yelling to stand the fight up and quit being a "bitch" were quite uncalled for. There was also a comment during the McFedries/Leites match that I will never repeat. Heck, the guy next to me got so annoyed with the fans screaming in his ear that he left before the main event. I think that the UFC/Arena should be smart and stop selling alcohol once the main card starts. The security was also quite ridiculous in that they wouldn't let me bring in my SLR camera because the zoom was too large. This is something that has never happened before and when I questioned it, I was told by the cop, that the promoters don't like those cameras.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Is this pro wrestling or something? Was I going to get the only shot of Dana White signaling to Earl Hebner once Anderson had Cote in the Sharpshooter? It was a lame excuse by the cop but what can you expect you know. It was almost as bad as security telling me that I couldn't take a camera into the weigh ins. However, they did allow the camera in anyway. The weigh ins and meeting tons of fighters was awesome but the event will be forever remembered as the UFC 90: Belligerent Frat Boy Uprising.

Last edited 10/28/08 2:39PM server time by tberg420
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #18   10/28/08 2:38:15PM   

the_01

MMA Regular

the_01 Avatar

Career:487-358
Chips:
I have always said it, Alcohol is the Human's biggest mistake.

Post #19   10/28/08 4:48:38PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
the illinois refs sucked
i don't think they have reffed a mma fight in their life

Post #20   10/28/08 7:48:20PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tberg420

Totally agree with what you said. My wife and I sat in section 202 and it was really bad. The constant drunks yelling to stand the fight up and quit being a "bitch" were quite uncalled for.

Well that just confirms it... I was at section 210 which is directly across the stadium from you, and my friend was at section 206 which is in between us. All sections experienced similar drunken debauchery. My friend at section 206 is a female and the drunks over there were apparently singing some kind of "boobies song" every time the ring girl came out.

Maybe next time I'll bring my iPod and put the TUF theme song on repeat with some big oversized headphones so I can focus on the fights

Post #21   10/28/08 8:08:52PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Chips:
Here's my recent article that I wrote talking about my experiences. I hope that everyone can read it and support it.

LINK!!

Post #22   10/31/08 10:40:46AM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Chips:
Good article man!
A couple comments.......
You give suggestions about curbing the alcohol in the future... but I'll tell you it comes down to who the crowd is.... when I went to Ohio and Montreal, the people there respected the alcohol and didn't abuse it like the drunken fools in Chicago. Ohio and Montreal also showed respect in waiting in between rounds to get up.
But man you are from Indiana, you should be driving to Ohio for your fights, not Chicago! You should definitely go to Ohio this spring and also the attend the Arnold Classic on the morning of the event. You'll have a lot to write about for that one!

Post #23   10/31/08 11:35:32AM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mayo

Good article man!
A couple comments.......
You give suggestions about curbing the alcohol in the future... but I'll tell you it comes down to who the crowd is.... when I went to Ohio and Montreal, the people there respected the alcohol and didn't abuse it like the drunken fools in Chicago. Ohio and Montreal also showed respect in waiting in between rounds to get up.
But man you are from Indiana, you should be driving to Ohio for your fights, not Chicago! You should definitely go to Ohio this spring and also the attend the Arnold Classic on the morning of the event. You'll have a lot to write about for that one!

Yeah, thanks for the good suggestions. My wife and I attended the weigh ins for the Cincinnati and Columbus cards but couldn't afford the tickets. Its definitely something that I will look forward to this March.

Post #24   10/31/08 1:07:36PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2