Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

my reactions to attending UFC 90

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
Even though Chicago is my hometown, I was dismayed by the experience at Allstate arena, and the crowd was brutal as well. First off, the seats at allstate arena are so narrow that you feel squeezed in. I'm an average sized guy, I can't imagine how any "heavyweights" would be able to sit in these seats!

The crowd were a bunch of drunkards! I had several friends sitting throughout the stadium in various sections and they expressed the same experience. These drunkards wouldn't even wait for breaks in between rounds to get up. They would constantly be getting up for more beer or probably to go to the bathroom endlessly in the middle of fights! Everyone was doing it so nobody yelled at them, because I guess it was viewed as normal Later in the evening the police told the concession stands to stop serving alcohol because the whole stadium was getting plastered. I doubt any of them even remember the last few fights of the night.

On the plus side, the stadium was not visibly sold out and so there were numerous pockets of good seats together. The stadium security could care less if you moved around to better seats. Though I did not try to get down to the lower level. Nevertheless that stadium is so small that even if you were standing at the roof level and watching the fight, you had a good angle on the octagon. Next time I'm going to save money and just buy a $50 ticket for any seat that's available since I truly believe there's no such thing as a bad seat in that place.

Due to the intoxication level of the place, there were numerous drunk comments being shouted out throughout the night like "Finish him!", or my favorite when there was a rare quiet moment someone would yell "Rogan smokes blunts!".

Anyway I've also been to events in Ohio and Montreal, and I enjoyed their crowds and stadiums much better. Ohio was always extremely quiet like a library. It was like everyone there was a diehard knowledgeable fan who were intently studying the fights in silent observation. Montreal on the other hand was the best ever. An enormous stadium with 4 levels and the entire crowd chanting positively like they were watching their hometown sports team. Of course GSP was there that night, but the crowd was chanting positively during every fight. It was like one great unified party.

Its interesting that Dana says that Chicago is the payperview purchasing leader in the nation, yet they couldn't even visibly sell out the small Allstate arena. I have a feeling that the ppv stats are skewed due to the fact that almost every bar in Chicago shows the ppv every month (usually without a cover charge).

Anyway it was interesting to note that the drunk crowd at Allstate arena was booing Anderson Silva when he was playfully toying with Cote. I actually found that toying to be pretty entertaining. I do not feel it was disrespectful to Cote and I'd say it was definitely not disrespectful to the drunk fans at the Allstate arena. I watched the televised bio on Silva with Rachelle Leah and what I saw then was a very playful man. I think that that is simply what we saw again in the octagon last night, a playful man who was just being himself. Furthermore, when the fight ended on account of Cote blowing out his knee, the crowd booed because the intial instant replay did not zoom in on his leg. Of course we can't hear the commentators (I so wish that they would broadcast on a radio frequency like what happens for hockey games), so we didn't know what to think at the time. Later they showed a replay which zoomed in on his leg and we all understood. I really hope there's a rematch, because I really think Cote had a chance!

Last edited 10/26/08 3:39PM server time by Mayo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/26/08 3:37:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Long read didn't go trought it all but I couldn't belive all the booing. I was giving the city the benifit of the doubt its what they are used to doing at sporting events. I mean sure there are a few moments of happiness but you know the cubs are going to blow it everytime.

Sorry Fleek

Post #2   10/26/08 4:57:07PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,281-856
Chips:
Props for telling it like it was - the crowd were a disgrace IMO - no offence.

Post #3   10/26/08 5:08:12PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i went to chicago from cali
just got home, chicago sucked
i hated it there, to make matters worse my ticket for the event was stolen out of my room at a hotel i was staying at, had to go through hell to have ticketmaster replace it. the fights were boring decisions, and the silva fight was god awful. i can't believe i spent a grand for my trip to see silva act like a foul in the cage. and then the icing on the cake was cote blowing his god damm knee out. i ran out of there so fast at least i beat the traffic.
now i am hoping vegas in dec will be better cause just when i tough ufc 86 was a bor now comes ufc 90 joke. i am starting to just not go to live events.

Post #4   10/26/08 5:57:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Nice piece on the event. Props for writing that all out. I enjoyed it

Post #5   10/26/08 6:01:12PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
how funny was it when the crowd booed Jeff Samardja. Hilarious.

Last edited 10/26/08 6:06PM server time by nickcuc547

Post #6   10/26/08 6:05:51PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,514-780
Chips:

a rare quiet moment someone would yell "Rogan smokes blunts!".

Yeah thats not all he smokes
Joe Rogan talks about DMT
Joe Rogan Floatation Tank

Rogan rules
"You should all join my cult smoke DMT mother***kers"

Post #7   10/26/08 6:09:48PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

The referee that reffed the Maynard/Clementi fight should be fired and later shot in the dick by Butters from South Park. i was unable to watch the event live, so i just finished watching all of the fights. i seriously want to go to that guys house and while he is making love to his wife say, "Let's go gentleman, you gotta do something." i swear i was going to kill someone every time he spoke...thank god Rogan felt the same way and was vocal about it.

oh and o the crowd:

P.S. go castrate your first born sons and jump into a pit of molten tar. never show your presence EVER at a UFC again or i will personally kill every last one of you Rambo style

*end rant*

Last edited 10/26/08 6:50PM server time by jiujitsufreak74

Post #8   10/26/08 6:49:55PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

The referee that reffed the Maynard/Clementi fight should be fired and later shot in the dick by Butters from South Park. i was unable to watch the event live, so i just finished watching all of the fights. i seriously want to go to that guys house and while he is making love to his wife say, "Let's go gentleman, you gotta do something." i swear i was going to kill someone every time he spoke...thank god Rogan felt the same way and was vocal about it.

oh and o the crowd:

P.S. go castrate your first born sons and jump into a pit of molten tar. never show your presence EVER at a UFC again or i will personally kill every last one of you Rambo style

*end rant*

Hahahaha yeah I know that dude was pissing me off. Was it me or was that dude like less then 2 feet away from the fighters at all time. I know you have to be close tto see but he was like a split second away from getting ran into like 30 times. I dunno if it was because I was high but it was bugging the shit out of me the entire event.

I hope he won't be at any other events

Post #9   10/26/08 9:52:27PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein
I hope he won't be at any other events

He's probably an Illinois official

Post #10   10/26/08 10:09:05PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
The crowd seemed to boo everyone during their post-fight interviews with Rogan regardless of who they were, how exciting their fight was or if they won or lost, what a bunch of dicks.

Last edited 10/26/08 10:18PM server time by Ben_Hutch

Post #11   10/26/08 10:17:45PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,554-892
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
Interesting to hear from someone there, your experience is exactly the impression I got of the place from watching it on ppv.

Those idiots booing should count themselves lucky to be able to say years from now that they had the priviledge to see an MMA legend dance around in the ring. And like others have already pointed out, I dont think he was being disrespectful toward Cote, if anything he gave him too much respect. I think he was trying to be entertaining and give us more than 1 round.

Post #12   10/26/08 10:35:24PM   

reptile1

Learning to Sprawl

reptile1 Avatar

Career:1,632-894
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I was there and enjoyed it those morons who were booing gave us real Chicago MMA fans a bad name

Post #13   10/27/08 4:45:18PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
Sad thing is Chicago is the closest town for me to see it in, unless it goes back to Ohio. But after seeing the fights and hearing ur exp Chicago aint for me.

Post #14   10/27/08 4:49:16PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
All i heard was booing, with the odd "lets go gentlemen, gotta keep working" over the top.

Im still shocked at the way sherk was booed after puttng on an amazing (imo) fight. I really just cant get that mentality of paying so much to go to an event and then ruining it by just booing. I remember when i went to the event at newcastle, and when a fight was boring the crowd just entertained themselves with chants ect to keep the atmosphere alive. Saying that, we had 6 tko's, the war of the pauls, and BJ penn wrecking steveson, so i guess their was nothing to complain about . Happy times.

Actually, the more i think about it, the biggest boo of the night actually came when sherk entered the cage after B.Js fight . Totally different circumstances though.

Post #15   10/27/08 5:06:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2