Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Are CBS and Showtime Planning on Staying in MMA?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yesterday, MMA Payout noticed something important in the SEC report by EliteXC CBS/Showtime had declared ProElite in violation of the terms of their $6.3million loan. This creates a possibility that CBS/Showtime will seize all the assets of the company, including the fighter contracts.

Now Josh Gross is hearing a bit more talk along those lines:

Perhaps the most interesting bit of information from this mess deals with the contracts of ProElite's fighters. One of the managers I talked to said Elite might not be able to free fighters right away as CBS might have a right to the contracts. The network had a promissory note with Elite which didn't get paid. Like a lien on property, their only assets to collect are the fight contracts. This contradicts suggestions on Tuesday that fighters under contract to ProElite before it went belly up would likely be free and clear to negotiate with other promoters.

There's no evidence that the suits at CBS can run an MMA organization but maybe they'd let someone competent from within the EliteXC ranks rise up and run the show.

LINK

Post #1   10/23/08 1:20:22AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
If they seize the contracts I imagine it would be for the purpose of having organizations like the UFC and Affliction buy them out. I doubt they would actually try to set up their own promotion looking at how successful other upstart promotions have been. They most likely just want to see some profit from the whole thing.

Post #2   10/23/08 1:24:41AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Aether

If they seize the contracts I imagine it would be for the purpose of having organizations like the UFC and Affliction buy them out. I doubt they would actually try to set up their own promotion looking at how successful other upstart promotions have been. They most likely just want to see some profit from the whole thing.

Maybe not necessarily start a new promotion as such, but they could keep hold of the none exclusive contracts and just hold a card every so often for tv ratings

Post #3   10/23/08 1:32:31AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
And people laughed and mocked Dana when he said no way to what CBS was offering for a network deal.

Elite XC now folds after going into a deal that really offered them nothing more than the chance to try and sell advertising from non-televised sources, banking on the popularity of the show on network tv, while CBS sucked up the prime demographic ratiings and had the option to buy a percentage of Elite stock after each show.

Dana = Smart
CBS = Smart
Gary Shaw = Banjo player in Deliverence

Expect the Elite XC contracts to be honored by CBS once the fervor from the Kimbo debaucle dies down. (Start a new show, different name but use the existing contracts of the old EliteXC show since they basicly own the whole thing if they want it, to seperate themselves from the tainted EliteXC name.) They know this is a money maker and are VERY happy to have Shaw and Skala out of the equation

What really needs to happen? CBS says Hell no! to Elitexc, and walks away from mma. Zuffa signs up all the male MMA fighters that matter, leaving Kimbo to do ads for Kit-Kat while he is still in the spotlight. Zuffa also adds a female division to the WEC giving these amazinging scrappy and dedicated ladies a chance to shine on FOX/NBC/ABC after the show is picked up by eager execs who know a well run operation when they see one.

my dreams anyway.... lets see if they pan out.

Last edited 10/23/08 2:52AM server time by Bemin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   10/23/08 2:49:39AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
CBS really had a sweet deal with EXC. They paid them almost nothing... gave them loans to put them in debt, and bought a portion of the company.

I for one would love to see CBS (with the help of people who know the industry) try their hand at mma. I am all for free mma... and I am all for seeing fighters who don't have a contract with the UFC fight. How would that be bad?

Post #5   10/23/08 3:05:43AM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Affliction and CBS are in talks (negotiating possible contracts) now. We'll see how that goes, though I would rather watch them on CBS then pay for the PPV's. However, if its on CBS, they won't have time for the co-promotion of boxing/mma. They couldn't agree on a boxing match for the January show, but have a contract for 4 co-promo events next year. I'd rather them not have boxing.
I seriously doubt that Showtime will start their own league, but they will continue to sponsor, and throw money into other organizations. They may strike a deal with Strikeforce (depending on Strikeforce's deal with NBC), and then again, they may offer the WEC a better deal then what VERSUS is giving them.

The CBS/Affliction talks are intriguing. That would be interesting (and save me some money from not having to purchase the PPV's). The ratings of the last EliteXC event weren't bad and CBS made some money off of it. Because Elite didn't have enough money, CBS paid for the event and had the rights to the profits that it incurred, not counting the revenue from the commercials and other advertisements that paid for a position in that time slot.

What's really sad though, is that some crappy promotion will pick up Kimbo and try to ride the Kimbo money train for all they can, which right now, doesn't seem to be going much farther. It's running low on fuel. You got to say though, that Kimbo made as much money as he could, really quick. He got a half a mill for that last sorry excuse for a fight. That means he made $ 35,714 and 29 cents for each second of the 14 second fight. Can't blame the man for getting as much money as he could. I just hope he stays out of MMA though because he isn't even on par with a mid-level mma athlete.

Last edited 10/23/08 1:44PM server time by Branwest
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   10/23/08 12:26:17PM