Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Report that UFC 70 Might be on Spike TV**Its confirmed Free

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

www-WeLoan-us

Standup Guy

www-WeLoan-us Avatar

Career:258-161
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I’ve passed along a number of recent reports and even an interview in which Dana White hinted at the possibility. But according to Ivan Trembow of MMAWeekly.com, it’s now official: UFC 70 — one of the most-stacked UFC cards in recent history — will air on Spike TV.

The event, which takes place on April 21 and features an international cast of fighters, was originally expected to be a pay-per-view broadcast. Then came news that the event might possibly air on HBO as part of a pending three-event deal with the subscription-cable giant. However, despite the UFC’s optimism that a deal could be struck, negotiations stalled, and the UFC was stuck with few options.

As Trembow stated, UFC 70’s placement on Spike TV was the result of two factors:

The UFC couldn’t air an event on HBO without a deal in place, and
By the time the UFC realized a deal with HBO wasn’t going to happen in time for the event, it was too late to meet the pay-per-view advertising deadlines.
That left Spike TV as the only reasonable alternative, and the snafu resulted in one group of winners.

From MMAWeekly.com:

The winner in this unusual chain of events is clearly the fans, who will be able to watch a PPV-quality event for free on Spike TV.

Although the immediate results are obviously beneficial for fight fans, the long-term prospects of the UFC possibly airing anytime soon on HBO have met a major setback.

With a subscription to HBO running in the neighborhood of $5 to $15 per month depending on your local cable operator, fans could have had a thrifty way of watching the UFC. But based on recent happenings, fans probably shouldn’t get their hopes up.

As Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer stated:

HBO wants full control of the product, and to use its crew and its announcers and cover it like a network broadcast team would cover a major sporting event. UFC doesn’t want to give up its control of the product, wants its own crew to film it, and wants to use its own announcers, who are closer to pro wrestling announcers whose role is to build up the product as opposed to providing detached, objective commentary.

For the full report, check out Trembow’s story at MMAWeekly.com.

UFC 70, which is tentatively scheduled to air at an early time of 2 p.m. ET (due to the time difference with England), includes a fight card of:

UFC 70 — April 21 in Manchester, England (M.E.N. Arena)

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Congo
Andre Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum
Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice
Jess Liaudin vs. Dennis Siver
Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
Ryoto Machida vs. Forrest Griffin
David Lee vs. TBA

Last edited 3/13/07 9:19AM server time by www-weloan-us
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   3/9/07 8:41:10AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Wow!! That's awesome. Good find and I hope it turns out to be true. I'd heard there were some problems with HBO negotiatoins. Apparently HBO wants to do all the production including cameramen, effects, directing and even COMMENTATORS! That's got to be the deal breaker.

Here's the Link

It's about to 2/3's the way down. Just CTRL+F the word spike

Post #2   3/9/07 9:16:03AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
WOW. DUDE. Im bouncing off walls right now. If i get a confirmed source that this is true, ill probly cry with joy(i hope I dont though).

Post #3   3/9/07 10:02:55AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:

Posted by shawneth

WOW. DUDE. Im bouncing off walls right now. If i get a confirmed source that this is true, ill probly cry with joy(i hope I dont though).

It's on UFCjunkie and Sherdog too. No other sources though. Makes sense that two PPVs in the same month would be a bit much.

Question: Don't CC and Werdum have PPV percentages in their contracts? A lot of top guys do, so what does that mean for them?

Last edited 3/9/07 10:33AM server time by manfred
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/9/07 10:22:52AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Question: Don't CC and Werdum have PPV percentages in their contracts? A lot of top guys do, so what does that mean for them?

Good question... Im not exactly sure of the answer to that. They'll proby get extra money depending on how much many viewers there are.

Post #5   3/9/07 11:59:07AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
im pretty sure it was originally set to be on HBO so i dont think PPV percentages even come into play for this event

Post #6   3/9/07 12:03:37PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Chips:
heres another question. How will the UFC make money off this event? Will they have a shitload of commercials too? If so, the event willl be so long with commercials.

Post #7   3/9/07 12:29:08PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:
The fighters salaries is usually only 20-40% of what they make off the gate. Plus production, staff, medical, ect. they might only lose a little or maybe break even.

Post #8   3/9/07 1:49:25PM   

Sagat_GSP12

MMA Regular

Sagat_GSP12 Avatar

Career:36-25
Chips:
Between the endorsement money that will flood in because it's not a pay event and whatever movie and/or Spike show the plus throughout the entire event I'm sure they will make plenty of money. Due to the fighters they will be able to charge more for commercial time. It's just like a playoff game or the Super Bowl.

Post #9   3/9/07 1:55:39PM   

Broknmunky

MMA Regular

Broknmunky Avatar

Career:205-104
Camp: duXup
Chips:
This is awesome! I hope this comes thru!

Post #10   3/9/07 3:07:27PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Post #11   3/9/07 3:14:58PM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,652-935
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
thats hella good news if real, still everyone would have paid 40 dollars for the fights, maybe dana is feeling generous.

Post #12   3/9/07 3:42:30PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I'm thinking that maybe they did this because the event lacks an actual main event with a title fight. Though there are some good fights, casual fans won't know Machida, Werdum, and a lot of casual fans in the U.S. still do'nt know Cro Cop

Post #13   3/9/07 3:57:49PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Posted by shawneth

heres another question. How will the UFC make money off this event? Will they have a shitload of commercials too? If so, the event willl be so long with commercials.

Very good point! Commercials usually account for roughly 25% of a given time slot. That means that a 3 hour event would potentially have almost 1 hour of commercials mixed in... making it a 4 hour event! And the timeslot will be weird... 2pm EST.

Post #14   3/9/07 3:59:05PM   

Sagat_GSP12

MMA Regular

Sagat_GSP12 Avatar

Career:36-25
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

LMAO, that says it all.

Post #15   3/9/07 5:57:27PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3