Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ask the Doc: Dr. Benjamin on the anatomy of choke-outs and body shots

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So, let's say you're at a Brazilian jiu-jitsu class, and for whatever reason, decide not to tap out from a choke hold. Just what kind of damage can occur?

Also, what is about a nice shot to the belly – perhaps the dreaded liver shot – that creates such excruciating pain?

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) medical columnist and consultant Dr. Johnny Benjamin discusses both topics in his latest edition of "Ask the Doc."

Q. Dear Doc: I've been reading your articles ever since you began posting on MMAjunkie.com, and I really enjoy them. They are all very interesting and answer lots of questions I have been wondering. So, I've been doing a lot of rolling in jiu jitsu lately, and I let somebody put me to sleep while I was in a choke because I didn't want to tap. The question I have for you is really just how bad is it for the human body to let somebody choke you unconscious? (From Will Franzke)

LINK

Post #1   10/22/08 1:14:25PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,684-965
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
This guy's posts are always interesting. I didnt know that about the liver shot. I think one of the announcers, possibly Joe Rogan, once said that the pain was due to the toxins in the liver being released in response to the hit and I just always assumed that was true.

Post #2   10/22/08 4:32:23PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I felt like the guy writing the liver question was me. Same exact experiences for myself over the years pretty much.

Liver shots hurt.

Post #3   10/22/08 8:17:00PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
I never knew Barrack Obama was into mma....

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #4   10/22/08 9:35:39PM