Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Marcus Aurelio vs Hermes Franca: The Feud

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
American Top Team member Marcus Aurelio is facing off against his former student Hermes Franca who left ATT a while back. To say its not pretty is an understatement.

Aurelio's side of the story from Sherdog:

"I think it will be awesome, because there will be both guys trying to kill each other," Aurelio said. "He’s got to hate me, and I got to hate him. He’s not my teammate anymore. He’s not my student anymore. He’s not with us anymore. He got kicked out of ATT."

Hermes has a different take:

"I think my weakness is I’m so nice with everybody. For this fight, I’m not going to be nice. I can say we have [a] beef. I’m angry. I’m pissed. I want to kick his ass."

Inside Fighting has more background on the feud:

Both fighters grew up in the city Fortaleza, Brazil. The two became acquainted through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Aurelio teaching Franca - is his junior by one year.

Eventually, both moved to the U.S. and found a home at American Top Team in Florida. The nature of this move, however, is disputed as Aurelio has said that he brought Franca over while Franca contends that he came by himself and that it was fellow UFC fighter Wilson Gouveia who gave him the idea.

Whatever the truth is, the two remained in close contact with Aurelio being one of the four Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belts present when Franca was awarded his own black belt.

It was the awarding of another black belt, however, that helped lead to the end of their relationship.

While still with ATT, Hermes awarded current UFC fighter Kurt Pellegrino his black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Some of Franca’s ATT teammates did not feel the promotion was deserved. The divide was wide enough that Franca left to form his own team with Pellegrino at The Armory in Jupiter Florida.

“When I gave Kurt his black belt I was four years into my black belt,” Franca tells Inside Fighting.

“And I know exactly when a guy deserves a black belt. He wasn’t just a good fighter but Kurt’s a good teacher and a great fighter.”

LINK

Post #1   10/22/08 12:55:34PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
WAR HERMES & BATMAN!!!!

Post #2   10/22/08 12:59:39PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i give hermes credit for sticking up for his guy pelligrino. i see him knocking aurelio into the 20th row and maybe even having a few words about after.

Post #3   10/22/08 1:01:54PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
agreed. Franca takes the cake.

Post #4   10/22/08 2:41:19PM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
After watching that video I am pretty pumped for this fight. I was going to predict a 3rd round KO by Franco, but now I think he might KO him sooner. Maybe by like the 2nd round.

Post #5   10/22/08 3:27:14PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
i hope the fight lives up to the hype

Post #6   10/22/08 10:26:50PM