Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Where to Start?

Print  
Posted By Message

johnrambo

Learning to Sprawl

johnrambo Avatar

Career:156-113
Chips:
Alright everybody!!

I've a few questions for all you people...

I'm interested in starting in some MMA training, now I would like to know what would be the best type to start in?

I should tell you I'm getting on ;) i.e. not a teenager anymore.
I'm 28, 6ft 6in tall, and just over 14st (thats 196lb for the americans) :) I have a fast metabolism hence the weight.

I stopped training in Gaelic Football (like aussie rules or a cross between rugby and soccer) about 2 years ago. I am/was fast and had stamina when training for this so it shouldn't be too hard to get back to it.

So what style of MA would suit me the most?
When you guys train in your selected styles how much training do you put in...weights, fitness, etc.

(btw I work shift work so have 3 or 4 days off each week, workdays would not be possible to train (I do 12&1/2hr days/nights).

Cheers,
Rambo

Post #1   3/9/07 12:53:15AM   

MethodMan

MMA Regular

MethodMan Avatar

Career:58-26
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
With your height and weight and the fact you are more used to using legs than hands in a sporting context I would recommend stating out with Thai boxing for about 6 months to get a start on your stand up then take up some BJJ (no-gi if you can find it) make inverted armbars, triangles, and shoulder locks your bread and butter.

Post #2   3/9/07 7:52:36AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by MethodMan

With your height and weight and the fact you are more used to using legs than hands in a sporting context I would recommend stating out with Thai boxing for about 6 months to get a start on your stand up then take up some BJJ (no-gi if you can find it) make inverted armbars, triangles, and shoulder locks your bread and butter.

Its a big step to jump into Thai boxing. Thai boxing takes a lot more dedication and commitment than ordinary boxing or "american kickboxing." With that being said, I'd recommend taking some basic boxing/kickboxing classes until you get the hang of things, and once your ready to make a bigger commitment start training Thai boxing.

Post #3   3/9/07 7:28:35PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Career:11-12
Chips:
Wrestling. A lot of guys with your build aren't good at wrestling, so if you train it well you'll have a very important skill and a lot of people will have difficulty dealing with you.

Post #4   3/9/07 11:16:25PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Train at whatever interests you. Hopefully it all interests you as it does me.

Post #5   3/13/07 6:15:26PM   

doug1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Call these guys at www.mmadrills.com there program is Top Notch.

Doug

Post #6   4/10/07 8:53:28AM