Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Random drug testing Implemented in the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:514-322
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Six UFC 91 fighters, including the event's headliners, have passed pre-event drug tests administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The commission recently enacted year-round drug testing, and the NSAC has been testing fighters approximately a month before fight time.

In an email sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed main-event fighters Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar were tested, as were undercard fighters Amir Sadollah, Nick Catone, Jorge Gurgel and Aaron Riley.

UFC 91 takes place Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It airs on pay per view.

The NSAC's year-round testing was implemented earlier this year. MMA fighters are subject to drug testing at any time -- for just about any reason -- throughout the year, regardless of whether or not the fighter is scheduled for an upcoming event. However, the testing is usually reserved for scheduled fighters.

For more on the NSAC's new procedures, check out our interview with Kizer that followed the commission's official announcement.

Additionally, for the latest on UFC 91, including the latest fight card and interviews with the night's competitors, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

I don't know how many fans realize how big this is or the potential impact but if HGH and others are as rampant as a few fighters have came out and stated they are this could change the balance of fighters in the UFC, Im just glad Randy came back clean! Now all the people that assumed Couture was juicing can shut it.

mmajunkie

Post #1   10/21/08 4:26:58PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,980-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The random drug testing isn't new, it was implemented a while ago. BJ and Sherk were randomly tested before their fight at UFC 84, so this system has been in place for several events now.

Also, the other part of your post has already been posted and is on the front page of the News Share forum

Last edited 10/21/08 4:31PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/21/08 4:31:08PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

The random drug testing isn't new, it was implemented a while ago. BJ and Sherk were randomly tested before their fight at UFC 84, so this system has been in place for several events now.

Also, the other part of your post has already been posted and is on the front page of the News Share forum

Its obviously not new as in decided yesterday but it is new and a very overlooked topic that effects the UFC.

Sherk and BJ were not randomly tested, they were tested because they had a fight coming up thats not random.

I never cut out parts of articles I post although I did miss it's posting.

Last edited 10/21/08 5:32PM server time by slapshot

Post #3   10/21/08 5:24:48PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i would like to hear about all these random drug tests though

dont tell me u drug test randomly w/out me ever hearing about anyone getting randomly tested

Post #4   10/21/08 5:30:46PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i would like to hear about all these random drug tests though

dont tell me u drug test randomly w/out me ever hearing about anyone getting randomly tested

I wonder how much of that is them realizing if they did true random testing of everyone, 65% of them would come up dirty LOL.

Post #5   10/21/08 5:36:01PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It really isn't new. The NSAC has been doing this for at least the better part of this year, if not dating back to last year.

Post #6   10/21/08 5:42:13PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

It really isn't new. The NSAC has been doing this for at least the better part of this year, if not dating back to last year.

Nope not in the UFC they only did testing if you were set to fight last year. Random testing has only been in effect for two events so Id say thats not going to qualify it as a old rule.

Last edited 10/21/08 6:14PM server time by slapshot
2 total post edits

Post #7   10/21/08 6:05:04PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
great now we will never see nick diaz back in the ufc!

It makes sense but im not gonna be too big of a fan of seeing a fighter I wan't to see on the main card get suspended for testing positive for weed 6 months before his fight

Last edited 10/21/08 7:15PM server time by sam_rothstein

Post #8   10/21/08 7:14:12PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I think people are slightly confused on the topic of "random drug testing" anyway, though... I think this is great. I've always said that people would be insane to believe that at least 70% of fighters aren't on or haven't ever been on steroids throughout their lives. This moves MMA one step closer to being legitimized on a grand scale imo. So to NSAC which is doing a much better job than CSAC

Post #9   10/21/08 7:17:47PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
So is this only for fighters who hold a license in Nevada?

Post #10   10/21/08 7:23:15PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,980-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Posted by MMAcca

Its obviously not new as in decided yesterday but it is new and a very overlooked topic that effects the UFC.

Sherk and BJ were not randomly tested, they were tested because they had a fight coming up thats not random.

I never cut out parts of articles I post although I did miss it's posting.

According to Keith Kizer from the NSAC it was random.

''Keith Kizer, executive director for Nevada State Athletic Commission, said both Sherk and Penn were tested where they train in Minnesota and Hawaii, respectively, and passed the random test.

“It was good news. No positive tests,” said Kizer who gave the go-ahead for the drug tests to both fighters.'' LINK

Now that article i linked to is dated 30th April 2008........

Post #11   10/22/08 12:46:07AM