Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's Next for Kimbo Slice, Gina Carano and Jake Shields?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dave Meltzer ponders what's next for the three biggest players in EliteXC's roster:

Elite XC’s two biggest attractions, Slice and Carano, are unlikely to be moving to the sport’s highest-profile group. UFC president Dana White has repeatedly said he won’t use Slice, who made his reputation as a backyard streetfighter on YouTube videos but is not the caliber of even a mid-level MMA pro. White also has said he’s not interested in promoting women’s fighting, although Carano’s success as a draw may cause him to reconsider. Her match with Kelly Kobold two weeks ago ended up adding more new viewers than any MMA match on television in the U.S.

Several agents for fighters have been in contact all day with the UFC. Some, like welterweight champion Jake Shields, would be welcomed into the promotion.

Carano will likely be fighting in an ad hoc basis. She is too marketable and popular to never be used, but without a strong financial backer to build women's MMA or divisions she'll be forced to fight opponents in a one-off basis. Luckily for her, she doesn't have all of her eggs in one basket with her various ventures. She'll still have a public profile with or without MMA.

Shields is in an excellent spot and I would be surprised if he didn't go to the WEC or UFC (more likely the latter).

As for Slice, that's tougher to predict. He is exceptionally popular, but do major promotions like Strikeforce or Affliction - who realize how limited his talent actually is - want to follow in EliteXC's footsteps with meaningless match-making? Part of the impetus to put those matches together was simply to keep EliteXC afloat on the back of their most popular star. Does Strikeforce want to follow that precedent? I seriously doubt it, although I could imagine a world where Affliction tries that. While it's impossible to dismiss Slice's appeal, EliteXC offered the perfect hand-in-glove scenario for him to thrive. Unless promoters are willing to make the same accomodations, where does he go?

LINK

Post #1   10/21/08 1:09:25PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,496-1,195
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Ken Shamrock, scheduled as the opponent of Slice, got into a money argument with Elite XC officials before the show, and then, to blow off steam, did a training session in which he suffered a cut above his eye that required stitches. When he returned from the hospital, the Florida State Boxing Commission wouldn’t allow him to fight.

Maybe they were trying to get Ken to stay standing and weren't offering enough.

Last edited 10/21/08 1:23PM server time by Darnok
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #2   10/21/08 1:22:09PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Does this mean we won't get to see Frank Shamrock vs. Ken??

Post #3   10/21/08 1:43:30PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
Id love to see shields in the ufc. he'd be a great addition to the ww devision. I don't think he'd be anything too special, probably settling into a gatekeeper of sorts.

Slice has no business anywhere. Him getting finished by that little jab proved that. As much as he's been training, which i believe helped, it still doesn't make him anywhere near the level of the "professionals". His 15 minutes have lasted a long time, but i think hes down to the last couple.

Gina Carano is pretty hot.

That being said, its not likely the UFC could add a womens devision. There are not enough fighters to adequetly fill it. 20 years from now, we might be looking back and saying, "man, that gina carano was way ahead of her time." Maybe down the road, but for now, no dice

Post #4   10/21/08 1:47:57PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,039
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I would love to see WEC opening a woman division with Gina as their main contender. They should also have 3 X 5 minutes rd like the man.

I think Shields can fight in the ufc but he will not be top 5 or even top 10, i think they should grab him to make a fight with Condit in the WEC witch is pretty much the same caliber of Shields.

As for Kimbo, well the guy won a lot of money by being promoted like that i think he should retire as an ALMOST undefeated fighter !! lol
Otherwise i see Kimbo in the UFC !! well cleaning the bathroom of the UFC to be precise !!!

Post #5   10/21/08 1:57:04PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

I would love to see WEC opening a woman division with Gina as their main contender.

This could work very well, especially with WEC cutting LHW and MW.

Also, one off exhibition matches in the UFC for the women could work for now, taking advantage of Carano's pulling power until a talent pool can be established (if Dana even decides to sign Gina)

Post #6   10/21/08 2:13:07PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
ill sign gina

Post #7   10/21/08 4:41:08PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
The UFC should bring in Sheilds. As for carano ?????? Kimbo will have to take a hell of a pay cut to keep his career in motion. i could see Affliction throwing him in maybe?!!!?

Post #8   10/21/08 5:11:12PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
Shields is the only one I would like to see in the UFC. I would put him against Diego Sanchez or maybe Condit in the WEC.

WEC could maybe get curano just for a 1 fight contract to face Cyborg. They could re-evaluate their position after that fight. Personally, I don't think there is anyone else left to fight for Curano after Cyborg.

Kimbo.... I don't really care. He probably still has some marketing power due to his name, so maybe Affliction will sign him for a 1 fight deal to help pump one of their heavyweights.

Last edited 10/21/08 6:04PM server time by stock
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/21/08 6:04:12PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
if dana was smart cause he cut middle and light heavy he should add female fighters to wec to fight

i think shields, lawler and a handful of guys will be coming to the ufc young up and cummers like brett rodgers and dave herman would add more young youth in the heavyweight division

Post #10   10/21/08 6:59:28PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,452-827
Chips:
I'd love to see Brett Rogers and Bigfoot in the UFC. How about Brett rogers vs. Shane Carwin? And with LHW and HW divisions gone from the WEC they definitely have room for a women's division. It seems like it would be the perfect place for Gina and Cyborg.

I'd also like to see Kimbo fight just one decent heavyweight, someone like Hardonk. I don't want him to escape from MMA with any excuses about losing because of short notice.

Post #11   10/21/08 9:05:27PM