Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

- CBS RATINGS NOT ENOUGH, ELITEXC CLOSING UP SHOP

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i really dont know what to think about the ufc picking up kimbo. i wonder if dana will see kimbo as a cash cow and pit him against decent fighters to get ppv buys, or discredit him and let another company pick him up.

if i was dana i'd give him a 3 fight deal and match him up with carwin, hardonk and gonzaga

My money's on Affliction, they're not scared to look dumb.

Post #46   10/21/08 1:04:47AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Sigh, i can't believe so many people are ecstatic that a fledgling mma organization has gone down in flames... really for shame. Elite was a paycheck for many people and now that its gone, a good deal of people are gonna need to find new jobs, fighters included. I hope woman's MMA finds a home somewhere because it was something i really liked watching (although i hated the fact that it was 3 min rounds.. so stoopid!)Shaws for killing a good idea with a bad deal and bad management and to most of the playground for delighting in this misfortune... how would you feel if you were involved huh?

Post #47   10/21/08 1:26:12AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by nastshabast

Posted by loller90278

i really dont know what to think about the ufc picking up kimbo. i wonder if dana will see kimbo as a cash cow and pit him against decent fighters to get ppv buys, or discredit him and let another company pick him up.

if i was dana i'd give him a 3 fight deal and match him up with carwin, hardonk and gonzaga

My money's on Affliction, they're not scared to look dumb.

Yea, I would also go with Affliction for the simple fact that they have some really good Heavyweights with name recognition. I can see Affliction signing Kimbo and Seth P. and hyping it up as "the rematch." Personally, it's a fight that I dont want to see again and would rather watch better HWs clash on an event I paid 45 bucks for.

Post #48   10/21/08 1:31:55AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

Sigh, i can't believe so many people are ecstatic that a fledgling mma organization has gone down in flames... really for shame. Elite was a paycheck for many people and now that its gone, a good deal of people are gonna need to find new jobs, fighters included. I hope woman's MMA finds a home somewhere because it was something i really liked watching (although i hated the fact that it was 3 min rounds.. so stoopid!)Shaws for killing a good idea with a bad deal and bad management and to most of the playground for delighting in this misfortune... how would you feel if you were involved huh?

i view this as a positive for the sport because the general public is no longer going to be poisoned by the Shaws. i can look past the organization going under as long as it positively effects the sport, which imo it does. i hated that Elite XC was on CBS and i had Kimbo fans annoying the crap out of my every single day. it is good that we removed the cancer that was the Shaws and i don't feel bad at all for rejoicing.

Post #49   10/21/08 1:34:45AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

These guys aren't fighters and probably don't KNOW any real fighters. They are fans who have decided to be loyal to an organization. For many guys Elitexc was a paycheck. It was a chance to get in the "show" build a name, make money, and parlay that into training, private lessons for others, gyms, and bigger fights. I feel bad for all the "unknown" fighters who are working hard, developing, and working their way up the ladder and now don't have a place to showcase the talent.
Not EVERYONE can fight in the UFC. It's not a big enough organization. Too many fighters will be left off. The only positive is that there will probably be some promoters that buy up the assets of smaller shows like King of the Cage and keep it localized. Part of Elitexc's problem wasn't that they did a bad promotion, or did not have good product---it's that they overexpanded too quickly by buying up toomany promotions. That put them in the red and they never recovered. It wasn't "Kimbo" or "Shaw" that did that to them. that was their own misjudgement of expansion.

Listen the UFC only had 200 fighters under contract. BUT, they don't allow 200 fighters to fight per year. So, they have started cutting fighters and dropping guys off their contract lists. that is even worse for fighters. NOT good. Seriously, I don't know why guys would cheer something that will just make it harder for young fighters. THis ISN'T the MLB with a grip of teams, players, and minor leauge systems. It's a relatively small promotion when it comes to "leagues."

Last edited 10/21/08 2:10AM server time by EliasG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #50   10/21/08 2:05:37AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Posted by bullettdodger

These guys aren't fighters and probably don't KNOW any real fighters. They are fans who have decided to be loyal to an organization. For many guys Elitexc was a paycheck. It was a chance to get in the "show" build a name, make money, and parlay that into training, private lessons for others, gyms, and bigger fights. I feel bad for all the "unknown" fighters who are working hard, developing, and working their way up the ladder and now don't have a place to showcase the talent.
Not EVERYONE can fight in the UFC. It's not a big enough organization. Too many fighters will be left off. The only positive is that there will probably be some promoters that buy up the assets of smaller shows like King of the Cage and keep it localized. Part of Elitexc's problem wasn't that they did a bad promotion, or did not have good product---it's that they overexpanded too quickly by buying up toomany promotions. That put them in the red and they never recovered. It wasn't "Kimbo" or "Shaw" that did that to them. that was their own misjudgement of expansion.

Listen the UFC only had 200 fighters under contract. BUT, they don't allow 200 fighters to fight per year. So, they have started cutting fighters and dropping guys off their contract lists. that is even worse for fighters. NOT good. Seriously, I don't know why guys would cheer something that will just make it harder for young fighters. THis ISN'T the MLB with a grip of teams, players, and minor leauge systems. It's a relatively small promotion when it comes to "leagues."

Your assuming a lot of things in your post. For one a lot of the guys that post on here happen to be real fighters or x-fighters. I'm for one a X-fighter that works as a trainer part time in a gym as a boxing and wrestling trainer. You also accused a lot of the people of being loyal to one org when the fact is most of them are happy EliteXC is gone because they are loyal to MMA and think it will be better for the image of MMA. Now I'm not saying its a good thing EliteXC went under because competition is always a good thing. But EliteXC and the Shaw's were doing things that set the sport back years. Marketing Kimbo as the greatest HW ever for one or paying fighters to stand. Plus the way they showed MMA and marketed it wasn't in the best interest of the sport.

Also to say the Shaw's had nothing to do with the fall of EliteXC would be like saying Dana had nothing to do with how big the UFC is today. EliteXC went under because of poor management (which the Shaw's happen to be a part of) and poor deal making. Their CBS deal alone was costing them huge amounts of money every show. The Shaw's were a part of all of this. There other problem was ratings but I bet you anything they would have done much better if they would have marketed there real fighters and not focused so much on Kimbo. The have 4 top ten fighters on their pay role that they hardly even marketed. What they did is headlined Kimbo above top 10 guys.

Last edited 10/21/08 4:10AM server time by telnights

Post #51   10/21/08 4:09:28AM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Qoute From EliteXC:

"We have informed all members of staff of Pro Elite that as of Friday the company known as ProElite, the website ProElite.com and the parent company to EliteXC will stop trading. In further purchases, ProElite acquired a number of companies, including MMA promotions King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Spirit M, and Icon. Rumble on the Rock, the promotion owned by JD Penn, brother of JD Penn was actually only leased to ProElite.

We have struggled through hard times hoping that the massive TV deal we had in place would of brought us in new investors. Unfortunately the TV deal and the investment went sour due to the main star being voted off by all his fellow competitors , we will continue running Fighting Hurts until the end but it has not been the saving grace that we thought it would be."

Could someone possibly expand on this comment?

Voted off...huh???

Last edited 10/21/08 4:20AM server time by We_Todd_Did

Post #52   10/21/08 4:19:39AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I see good and bad behind all this.
Though I'm a little dissapointed we won't see Diaz VS Alvarez,or Carano vs Cyborg.

Post #53   10/21/08 5:41:27AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
All I have to say is Dana knows how to call it and thank God no more Jared Shaw. Atleast not in MMA

Post #54   10/21/08 6:43:49AM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Qoute From EliteXC:

"We have informed all members of staff of Pro Elite that as of Friday the company known as ProElite, the website ProElite.com and the parent company to EliteXC will stop trading. In further purchases, ProElite acquired a number of companies, including MMA promotions King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Spirit M, and Icon. Rumble on the Rock, the promotion owned by JD Penn, brother of JD Penn was actually only leased to ProElite.

We have struggled through hard times hoping that the massive TV deal we had in place would of brought us in new investors. Unfortunately the TV deal and the investment went sour due to the main star being voted off by all his fellow competitors , we will continue running Fighting Hurts until the end but it has not been the saving grace that we thought it would be."

Voted off...huh???

Yeah I was wondering about that myself, anyone known anything?

Post #55   10/21/08 7:59:34AM   

RNstanger

Learning to Sprawl

Career:247-170
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I must be out of it. But what ever happened to Cung Lee?

Post #56   10/21/08 8:53:00AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
everybody mention Lawler,Villa,Shields, etc...

no love for Feijao ?? I know the 205 is stacked but I think he can cut to 185, he'll never fight teammate A.Silva(or Machida) but the division still need people.

I would also pick B. Rogers and A Silva(if cleared) just to add to that young talent pool at HW.

Post #57   10/21/08 8:55:14AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Qoute From EliteXC:

Voted off...huh???

Yeah I was wondering about that myself, anyone known anything?

I'm pretty sure it's a metaphor.

Post #58   10/21/08 9:18:43AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I was so sick and tired of hearing about how Kimbo was the greatest and then how SP was Rocky, I am glad Elite is gone. Maybe somebody with some brains will startup a small org and pick up some of these fighters.

If Pro - Elite goes under what is going to happen to all of the other small orgs they bought up. I would be very sad to see them disappear.

So now Yahoo is saying that Ken was having a money argument with Elite just before he got cut.

Ken Shamrock, scheduled as the opponent of Slice, got into a money argument with Elite XC officials before the show, and then, to blow off steam, did a training session in which he suffered a cut above his eye that required stitches. When he returned from the hospital, the Florida State Boxing Commission wouldn’t allow him to fight.

Yahoo

Last edited 10/21/08 1:19PM server time by Darnok
2 total post edits

Post #59   10/21/08 11:19:24AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by EliasG

Posted by bullettdodger

Your assuming a lot of things in your post. For one a lot of the guys that post on here happen to be real fighters or x-fighters. I'm for one a X-fighter that works as a trainer part time in a gym as a boxing and wrestling trainer. You also accused a lot of the people of being loyal to one org when the fact is most of them are happy EliteXC is gone because they are loyal to MMA and think it will be better for the image of MMA. Now I'm not saying its a good thing EliteXC went under because competition is always a good thing. But EliteXC and the Shaw's were doing things that set the sport back years. Marketing Kimbo as the greatest HW ever for one or paying fighters to stand. Plus the way they showed MMA and marketed it wasn't in the best interest of the sport.

Also to say the Shaw's had nothing to do with the fall of EliteXC would be like saying Dana had nothing to do with how big the UFC is today. EliteXC went under because of poor management (which the Shaw's happen to be a part of) and poor deal making. Their CBS deal alone was costing them huge amounts of money every show. The Shaw's were a part of all of this. There other problem was ratings but I bet you anything they would have done much better if they would have marketed there real fighters and not focused so much on Kimbo. The have 4 top ten fighters on their pay role that they hardly even marketed. What they did is headlined Kimbo above top 10 guys.

So, listen "trainer" my post has nothing to do with how Proelite ran their company. I agree with you, their real problem was that they bought too many promotions and overleveraged themselves. Without millions in debt, they could have survived this economic downturn and CBS's reluctance to jump in with both feet into the MMA broadcasting world. My post isn't about that though. People on here are cheering that a company that employs many people and many many fighters just went out of business. Are you telling me that you have kids that you are "training" right now that you can look in the eye and be happy for them that their professional opportunities got smaller?

I agree with you that the Shaws were bad for the sport and that Kimbo was elevated much higher than he should have been--but you are giving too much credit to Kimbo and the Shaws if you think THAT is destroying the credibility of MMA. It brings interest and viewers. Viewers that eventually become more invested in the sport.

My point is that I know guys signed to contracts who now have nothing. I know guys in talks to get 3 fight contracts that have...nothing. I know guys in KOTC that are wondering if that has dried up too. I feel for the guys looking to eek a living out doing this, running small gyms and fighting shows trying to get on bigger shows who now see that yet another opportunity for exposure has dried up. Now there are even more out of work fighters vying for fewer and fewer spots on shows that can give them exposure and extend their careers beyond their fighting careers. You should know this if you used to fight and train young guys now. It's THAT much harder to get on.

Clap clap clap. That's a good thing!!! ???

Post #60   10/23/08 2:38:20AM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4