Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

shinya aoki

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Mr_Evans

Learning to Sprawl

Career:159-87
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I think the term "prodigy" would apply well to Shinya Aoki. His ground wizardy is simply astonishing. as someone stated earlier, he is very methodical in his approach in the same fashion as Fedor.

With that said, his ability to stand and trade is obviously lacking given the time and attention given to his submission skills.

His submission game is at the upper echelon of MMA fighters, now all he needs to do is bring up the other attributes to an above average level or higher, and I see him upsetting Gomi in a more spectacular fashion than what Aurelio did the first time.

Post #16   1/31/07 4:51:15AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I agree. I think Melendez or Aoki will beat him this year, which will only make Gomi come back stronger. I would dig a Penn vs Aoki. Ground wizardry at it's best.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #17   1/31/07 5:25:30AM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Mr_Evans

I think the term "prodigy" would apply well to Shinya Aoki. His ground wizardy is simply astonishing. as someone stated earlier, he is very methodical in his approach in the same fashion as Fedor.

With that said, his ability to stand and trade is obviously lacking given the time and attention given to his submission skills.

His submission game is at the upper echelon of MMA fighters, now all he needs to do is bring up the other attributes to an above average level or higher, and I see him upsetting Gomi in a more spectacular fashion than what Aurelio did the first time.

I have Shinya as the next lightweight champion. The problem is, he really needs to adapt his standup.

He has gotten far due to his ground game, but he can't live on it forever.

I think Jacare will do to the middleweight division, what Aoki is currently doing to the lightweights.

Post #18   1/31/07 5:26:25AM   

amik

MMA Regular

amik Avatar

Career:71-38
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
future champ without doubt.

If he improves his stand up will be able to be soon a champion.

Post #19   1/31/07 8:25:07AM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:
He's a beast, he's very good off his back which is bad for a lot of people. I think he needs a few years before he will be good enough to win the title but I can definately see it happening unless another fighter like him emerges.

Last edited 1/31/07 9:15AM server time by D-Boy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   1/31/07 9:15:25AM   

Vudu_Apostle

Learning to Sprawl

Vudu_Apostle Avatar

Career:12-9
Chips:
Shinya Aoki is young and needs time to become well-rounded but I think he is still a top talent at lightweight in PRIDE. I would like to see him face Ishida, that would give him tons of recognition.

Post #21   2/17/07 9:16:03PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I'm a big fan of Aoki. He has a great ground game and I still think about that gogoplata he submitted Hansen with. If he put on a little muscle and improved his striking, he could possibly be the best welterweight in the world. He should also ditch those skin tight pants.

Post #22   2/17/07 9:30:50PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by nate22

It's hard to see how he will reign for a long period with guys like Melendez coming up at the same time. The LW GP is a really exciting prospect for this year, cannot wait.

Couldn't agree more. No matter how good anyone looks, this is the most competitive division in mma, IMO, noone in any promotion will "reign supreme" for any long period. It's just way to competitive. LWGP will definitely be the thing to watch this year.

Post #23   2/17/07 10:01:29PM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:
You're all a bit late to get on the Aoki bandwagon...

Post #24   2/17/07 10:49:56PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i jumped on the first time he fought kikuchi wearin that pink shirrrrttttttt

Post #25   2/18/07 12:59:40PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2