Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GEORGES ST. PIERRE READY FOR PENN; IS SILVA NEXT?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
silva would beat gsp bad. hendo took him down in round one but didn't do anything. if gsp took him down he wouldn't do any damage and after they stood up gsp would get knocked out! remember this post and you will see.

Post #16   10/11/08 4:14:05PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:

Posted by MHughes4prez17

^ agreed

Silva still has to get through Cote first

Not going to be a problem

Post #17   10/11/08 4:43:12PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:
An in shape GSP had a debateable win against a out of shape Penn. I thought BJ won. Now both fighters are improved but I think BJ has made the most improvements and he's focused finally. GSP has been KTFO Penn has not. Not to mention BJ rearranged GSP"s face last time and his boxing is much better. Can you tell I'm pulling for BJ. Either way great fight. Now as for Silva I don't see anyone beating him but out of the 2 I see BJ with the best chance due to his ground skills. The dark horse out of the UFC though is Machida who I think would pose big problems for everyone mentioned and I think he could beat them all. He already beat penn by decision. Great future of fights coming and I'm glad to be a fan

Post #18   10/11/08 4:58:05PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

I don't see a way BJ beats St Pierre. BJ's striking can't really touch GSP, He probably can't sub him from bottom, BJ can't take him down.

GSP's size and conditioning wins imo. BJ comes in shape but with a bunch of fat, not muscle. BJ would have to cut GSP really bad or get in top position and getting top position doesn't seem likely.

GSP unanimous decision. The Spider isn't guarrenteed a win by any means either. His only weakness is TD def. Silva would probably win, and by a finish, but no guarrenteed win.

You did see GSP face after the first round during there first fight right? The only reason BJ lost that fight was because he gassed.

Post #19   10/11/08 5:00:29PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
All the people in this post and others talking about how they believe Anderson Silva would beat every MW and LHW and most HW to me is ludicrous. Don't get me wrong Anderson is by far the best MW in the world and is definitely top three p4p fighter in the world at the moment, but that doesn't make the guy indestructible like people are making him out to be. He has beaten Rich Franklin twice convincingly which is very impressive, but anyone can have someone's number, you see it all the time in any fighting sport. Yes, he beat Hendo, but Hendo did win the first round and had the right game plan, he just made a mistake and paid for it. Beating Marquardt and Irvin in the fashion he did was impressive as well, but beyond that beating a fat a** Travis Lutter and Leben don't impressive me too much. So if you look at it, he has four very impressive wins and to me even though me moved up to fight Irvin (who is decent but not a top ten LHW by any means), I would call that a semi-impressive win. The guy has been on a great run, but he is by no means unbeatable. Watch the video of Ryo Chonan putting one of the most awesome submissions in mma history on him back in 2004. If he forgets all this retirement talk, and beats Cote, Hendo in a rematch as well as Marquardt and fights his good buddy Filho and wins, as well as beating Bisping and Okami. And I would love to see him fight Lawler and Lindland as well. If he defeats all these guys and maybe a few LHW's in the top 10 or 15 then I would jump on the no one can beat Anderson Silva band wagon. But sorry to tell you that that would not happen. Everyone has off nights and before long if he continues to fight Anderson will have his and I wouldn't be surprised if that day comes sooner than later. I believe Hendo could beat Anderson as well as Lindland, and everyone else I mentioned besides maybe Cote and Okami has a chance of beating him. But as I said earlier, I do believe Anderson is one of the greatest fighters in the world at the moment, just please stop referring to this guy as he is unbeatable or whatever.

Post #20   10/11/08 5:36:20PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:
Lindland no waySilva been impressive in every single fight he has been in without question.He's a class act and no other is in his league right now. He'll probably retire before he loses. And he didn't just beat Franklin, and Leben , and Irvin. He DESTROYED them. As far as the band wagon goes you don't ever have to get on it's your choice but the man is the best there is and there is no argument for that. I think people give more credit to GSP then they do Silva

Last edited 10/11/08 5:58PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   10/11/08 5:56:38PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
GSP is a different fighter than the first time he fought Penn (I agree with the judge's decision, I thought GSP won the first match). Granted, Penn is more motivated and training properly now and wants revenge, but I don't see him beating GSP. I think that GSP will win and it won't go to a decision. It would be something if he subb'ed Penn.
I would like to see GSP/Silva but because the WW division is so stacked, there's almost always someone in line for a title shot. I would, though, like them to squeeze this fight in, 3 months after GSP/Penn. I wouldn't completely count out Rush like some of you are doing. Silva has SLAUGHTERED everyone in his path so far, but GSP is young, amazingly talented and athletic and would at least make it an intersting fight. He has improved every facet of his game. After not ever wrestling in college, he's now the best wrestler in the WW division (in appyling it to use in the cage). His jits has improved, as has his standup. I would pick Silva, but GSP may do better than many ppl think, and it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that GSP would upset him.
Also, Lindland would NOT beat Silva. I'm sorry, but I just can't see that happening, IMO. Silva would also beat Filho. With that said, I don't think that Silva could beat all LHW's. I believe he could take some, but not some of the upper echelon.

Last edited 10/11/08 6:23PM server time by Branwest
3 total post edits

Post #22   10/11/08 6:17:12PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by decken

Posted by seanfu

I don't see a way BJ beats St Pierre. BJ's striking can't really touch GSP, He probably can't sub him from bottom, BJ can't take him down.

GSP's size and conditioning wins imo. BJ comes in shape but with a bunch of fat, not muscle. BJ would have to cut GSP really bad or get in top position and getting top position doesn't seem likely.

GSP unanimous decision. The Spider isn't guarrenteed a win by any means either. His only weakness is TD def. Silva would probably win, and by a finish, but no guarrenteed win.

You did see GSP face after the first round during there first fight right? The only reason BJ lost that fight was because he gassed.

Good point, I saw the first one. But I forgot how long BJ's reach is. But watching it I didn't see a robbery. Just a close possible draw.

I still see a GSP win though, I like both but BJ couldn't do to Fitch what GSP did. Not that that alone decides, but it gives a little perspective to the standup. Sean Sherk was shorter, shitty standup, and WAY short arms.

Anyway, just watch, I don't think I'm wrong on this one.

Post #23   10/11/08 6:36:04PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by JoeySteel

Once again, hysteria is spread via the web. NO WAY is GSP beating BJ, and no way GSP would touch Silva.

Silva does not see judges. He finishes the BEST at 205 - Hendo, I would even put Irving in the top 15, both finished in first 2 rounds.

GSP should not move up and be embarrassed. He will lose to BJ, but it will be a good fight.

Silva should fight for the 205 belt now. I have NO doubt he can beat any MW, LHW and maybe some of the best HW out there, but I am not sure about that. I don't even care what Silva says, sure ANYONE can lose MMA, but Silva is the best in the world, NO DOUBT in my mind.

GSP is young and incredible, but he is no SIlva. BJ is my favorite fighter, but he is no Silva.

I want to ask GSP how he really sees that fight going?

Everybody want go to heaven, nobody want go die.

LMAO !!

What a joke !!

First , GSP will destroy BJ, he will make him quit and force him to ask the referee to safe him !!

Second, BJ started to look good and in shape at 155 against a HUGE top level fighter PULVER !! and an ultimate fighter winner who got protected like Cristal in all of his ufc fight before BJ !! who the hell was thinking that Stevenson was going to be dangerous for BJ ??? you ???
And then BJ beat " not on roid " Sherk in a boxing match with 1 feet reach advantage !! be serious man, GSP destroyed Sherk on his feet and on the ground way easier than BJ did and GSP was at this time like 10% of what he is now as a fighter !!
BJ is not going to beat GSP at 170 or at any weight you can think of !! are you really watching MMA man ?? not sure, Santa Barbara is not MMA man !!

And third, Silva look like if he was having no takedown defense against Lutter, how can you seriously think GSP will have troubles to take him down ??
GSP's game plan to face Silva will not be to eat punches until death, he will take Silva down, GNP on him, and if Silva stand up he will take him down again ,and again, every time Silva will have to work hard to stand up if he can and will become weaker and weaker, GSP is a cardio machine, he will not gass after rd 1 like Hendo or Lutter , he will bring the fight to Silva and control the action with his speed and wrestling ability, Silva never faced a complete athlete on top of the food chain like GSP .
I say GSP by UD since i don't really know how Silva will look after rd 2.
Silva destroyed guys who let him control the action and just asked to be punch, only Lutter did try to fight his own way and almost succeed.
GSP vs Lutter would be the easiest fight GSP would ever have.

Last edited 10/11/08 7:26PM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #24   10/11/08 7:15:33PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by prozacnation1978

no way silva is next

silva will face okami next with gsp facing winner of alves/sanchez fight

the ufc needs to keep giving fighters their shots their are a alot of fighters who should be getting title shots

Okami is fighting Lister, I think the UFC made a good choice in making that fight first, if Okami wins I know he'll get a title shot but Dean Lister has some of the best Jiu Jitsu around, Okami will have to win in a dramatic fashion to get his title shot, he's gonna have to prove that knocking out Evan Tanner wasn't a one time thing because he isn't popular right now. I don't even care about GSP/Silva to be honest, we all know how that would turn out it just seems like a waste of time that could be used for Silva to fight people who actually pose a threat, who the only person I think poses a threat right now to Silva would be Fedor (god I wish this fight would happen, they're only like 10 pounds away from each other!)

I think the UFC does everything they can to give their champions time as a champion, which may be kind of stupid because it doesn't make time for the real contenders at 185 for Silva or 170 for St. Pierre, Silva I think could still make some amazing fights with people like Demian Maia, Gegard Mousasi, Jacare, or Denis Kang to name a few. St. Pierre would probably make for good fights with Swick, Alves, Penn, and Jake Shields.

are u watching the same ufc fights the rest of us are?

Okami had the title shot, he was injured.. they didnt rearrange things because they thought okami was boring.

We all know how gsp vs silva would turn out? a waste of time? you think fedor is the only person to pose a threat? Are you serious? Silva has never faced anyone like gsp before.

Silva's weakness is takedown defence... what's gsp's successful takedown percentage? highest in all of mma... something like that? Gsp has better striking than any of silva's competitors...ever.. by far. Gsp has shown how effective a high profile bjj black belt is against him on their back and has also shown some of the most effective ground and pound in the organization. To top that all off, he's a highly intelligent fighter from one of the premier camps and always comes in with a game plan and sticks to it.

Do i give gsp an automatic win? no... but giving silva an automatic win is just ignorant.

And the name drops you gave for mw contenders? really?!

Despite some impressive wins in his last few fights, you could make more of a case for leben fighting bisping then maia...

Mousasi.. horrible matchup, not under the ufc

Denis kang.. lost last 3 of 5.. probably not even top20 right now

jacare.. lost to mousasi.. what do you think silva would do to him?

ur ridiculous... only person in the division who stands a serious chance right now of beating silva is henderson, and thats if, and only if he can stick to a game plan.

And jake shields... come on now.. the doode just lost his top10 ranking in most peoples minds because his takedowns look worse than lutters and he spent 3 minutes in the mount with the guy on the bottom laughing at him.

gsp should fight penn because its an mma fan's wet dream... regardless of the outcome, both fighters should go back to their division, dominate some more.. and when there is no clear contender for gsp and no clear contender for silva, they should go at it.

My prediction: georges st pierre rd3 submission set up via ground st. pound.

I'm almost crying !! , I would say GSP UD just to have 25 minutes of GSP's action and also to show to some amateur mma fans what MMA mean !!

Last edited 10/11/08 7:30PM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #25   10/11/08 7:24:30PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:

Post #26   10/11/08 7:25:29PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by JoeySteel

Once again, hysteria is spread via the web. NO WAY is GSP beating BJ, and no way GSP would touch Silva.

Silva does not see judges. He finishes the BEST at 205 - Hendo, I would even put Irving in the top 15, both finished in first 2 rounds.

GSP should not move up and be embarrassed. He will lose to BJ, but it will be a good fight.

Silva should fight for the 205 belt now. I have NO doubt he can beat any MW, LHW and maybe some of the best HW out there, but I am not sure about that. I don't even care what Silva says, sure ANYONE can lose MMA, but Silva is the best in the world, NO DOUBT in my mind.

GSP is young and incredible, but he is no SIlva. BJ is my favorite fighter, but he is no Silva.

LMAO !!

What a joke !!

First , GSP will destroy BJ, he will make him quit and force him to ask the referee to safe him !!

Second, BJ started to look good and in shape at 155 against a HUGE top level fighter PULVER !! and an ultimate fighter winner who got protected like Cristal in all of his ufc fight before BJ !! who the hell was thinking that Stevenson was going to be dangerous for BJ ??? you ???
And then BJ beat " not on roid " Sherk in a boxing match with 1 feet reach advantage !! be serious man, GSP destroyed Sherk on his feet and on the ground way easier than BJ did and GSP was at this time like 10% of what he is now as a fighter !!
BJ is not going to beat GSP at 170 or at any weight you can think of !! are you really watching MMA man ?? not sure, Santa Barbara is not MMA man !!

And third, Silva look like if he was having no takedown defense against Lutter, how can you seriously think GSP will have troubles to take him down ??
GSP's game plan to face Silva will not be to eat punches until death, he will take Silva down, GNP on him, and if Silva stand up he will take him down again ,and again, every time Silva will have to work hard to stand up if he can and will become weaker and weaker, GSP is a cardio machine, he will not gass after rd 1 like Hendo or Lutter , he will bring the fight to Silva and control the action with his speed and wrestling ability, Silva never faced a complete athlete on top of the food chain like GSP .
Silva destroyed guys who let him control the action and just asked to be punch, only Lutter did try to fight his own way and almost succeed.

Can I have some of what your smoking

Post #27   10/11/08 8:29:04PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Porch28

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by JoeySteel

LMAO !!

What a joke !!

Can I have some of what your smoking

here we call it MMA knowledge , i think it is unavailable where you live man !! lol

Post #28   10/11/08 8:56:33PM   

WrestlersAssassin

MMA Regular

WrestlersAssassin Avatar

Career:153-86
Chips:
GSP has little to no chance against Anderson, I dont even think he'll do very well against BJ. Dont get me wrong I like GSP but he needs to stop wanting this beating from Anderson and stick to WW.

Post #29   10/11/08 9:30:47PM   

Tito02

Learning to Sprawl

Career:197-123
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
if yout think gsp i s gonna run through bj super mma fans your wrong it dont matter at what weight. there both amazing fighters. so give credit were credit is due, bj has a different level of jits than any of the other black out there that gsp has faced and his stand up is awesome. gsp is on a whole other level right now he is in his prime guy has an amzaing shot and has a very good base very hard to sub and stand up is nasty as well but if there someone who can expose him its bj will find out. and as far as silva running through gsp give me a break nobody is gonna run through gsp to much talent for anybody to say that BS. and i also think hendo would beat silva in a rematch just my thought nothing against anderson he's awesome but not unstopable.

Post #30   10/11/08 11:06:09PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3