Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GEORGES ST. PIERRE READY FOR PENN; IS SILVA NEXT?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre won his fight with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn by a razor’s edge.

Their UFC 58 battle was another example in a running debate amongst mixed martial arts fans – should the most damaged fighter be declared the loser? St. Pierre definitely lost in that department – he spent a night in a Las Vegas hospital, badly banged up – but two judges ruled he had come out ahead on points, giving him the 29-28 nod.

Two-and-a-half years removed from that important bout, St. Pierre wants to eliminate all the "what ifs." In a recent video interview with MMAWeekly.com, he spoke about fighting Penn for a second time.

“I’m a different fighter than I used to be,” he said. “And he is as well. This time, I want to take him out. I don’t want to go to a decision. I want to finish him.”

The fight is not signed yet, but St. Pierre thinks it will be sometime in the next week.

He left for Albuquerque, N.M. to get some training in with Greg Jackson’s camp. Right now, he’s gathering information from a variety of sources before putting it all together in an MMA-only environment.

LINK

Post #1   10/11/08 8:09:12AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Hard to image BJ getting finished, but if there anybody that can do it though, its GSP. Should be a great fight.

Post #2   10/11/08 8:34:43AM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:
wow, GSP is hyping the fight already...and its working for me, i'll have goosebumps when they ring the bell for the first round of this one

Post #3   10/11/08 10:01:55AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
no way silva is next

silva will face okami next with gsp facing winner of alves/sanchez fight

the ufc needs to keep giving fighters their shots their are a alot of fighters who should be getting title shots

Post #4   10/11/08 11:05:40AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,994-1,016
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
WAR GSP !!!

Post #5   10/11/08 11:20:35AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
This is a great fight as everyone knows but I hope BJ smashes him. Maybe I'm just jealous of GSP's natural ability or that he's Canadian (just kidding). Can't wait to see it WAR BJ!!!!!!

Post #6   10/11/08 12:25:45PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
There are still contenders at 170 to start mentioning A. Silva within GSP's discussions. It seems like it's going that way (already beat Fitch) but 170 is still stacked.

Last edited 10/11/08 1:06PM server time by Ordep
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/11/08 1:05:36PM   

JoeySteel

MMA Regular

JoeySteel Avatar

Career:1,364-991
Chips:
Once again, hysteria is spread via the web. NO WAY is GSP beating BJ, and no way GSP would touch Silva.

Silva does not see judges. He finishes the BEST at 205 - Hendo, I would even put Irving in the top 15, both finished in first 2 rounds.

GSP should not move up and be embarrassed. He will lose to BJ, but it will be a good fight.

Silva should fight for the 205 belt now. I have NO doubt he can beat any MW, LHW and maybe some of the best HW out there, but I am not sure about that. I don't even care what Silva says, sure ANYONE can lose MMA, but Silva is the best in the world, NO DOUBT in my mind.

GSP is young and incredible, but he is no SIlva. BJ is my favorite fighter, but he is no Silva.

I want to ask GSP how he really sees that fight going?

Everybody want go to heaven, nobody want go die.

Post #8   10/11/08 1:15:59PM   

MHughes4prez17

Learning to Sprawl

MHughes4prez17 Avatar

Career:934-660
Camp: Team Herbster
Chips:
^ agreed

Silva still has to get through Cote first

Post #9   10/11/08 1:26:48PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

no way silva is next

the ufc needs to keep giving fighters their shots their are a alot of fighters who should be getting title shots

Okami is fighting Lister, I think the UFC made a good choice in making that fight first, if Okami wins I know he'll get a title shot but Dean Lister has some of the best Jiu Jitsu around, Okami will have to win in a dramatic fashion to get his title shot, he's gonna have to prove that knocking out Evan Tanner wasn't a one time thing because he isn't popular right now. I don't even care about GSP/Silva to be honest, we all know how that would turn out it just seems like a waste of time that could be used for Silva to fight people who actually pose a threat, who the only person I think poses a threat right now to Silva would be Fedor (god I wish this fight would happen, they're only like 10 pounds away from each other!)

I think the UFC does everything they can to give their champions time as a champion, which may be kind of stupid because it doesn't make time for the real contenders at 185 for Silva or 170 for St. Pierre, Silva I think could still make some amazing fights with people like Demian Maia, Gegard Mousasi, Jacare, or Denis Kang to name a few. St. Pierre would probably make for good fights with Swick, Alves, Penn, and Jake Shields.

Post #10   10/11/08 1:44:41PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
The only fight on the horizon that interests me as much as GSP vs. BJ is Silva vs. Jackson 3. So these next few months are going to be good. Excellent job making matches UFC!

Post #11   10/11/08 1:52:05PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
in my mind this will be the biggest fight ever.

Post #12   10/11/08 2:23:16PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Both fighters are way better than when they last fought each over. I think GSP will be able to take BJ down, avoid subs and GnP a UD. I also think his fight with Silva would be fairly close. My money would be on Silva though.

Post #13   10/11/08 3:22:15PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by prozacnation1978

no way silva is next

Okami is fighting Lister, I think the UFC made a good choice in making that fight first, if Okami wins I know he'll get a title shot but Dean Lister has some of the best Jiu Jitsu around, Okami will have to win in a dramatic fashion to get his title shot, he's gonna have to prove that knocking out Evan Tanner wasn't a one time thing because he isn't popular right now. I don't even care about GSP/Silva to be honest, we all know how that would turn out it just seems like a waste of time that could be used for Silva to fight people who actually pose a threat, who the only person I think poses a threat right now to Silva would be Fedor (god I wish this fight would happen, they're only like 10 pounds away from each other!)

I think the UFC does everything they can to give their champions time as a champion, which may be kind of stupid because it doesn't make time for the real contenders at 185 for Silva or 170 for St. Pierre, Silva I think could still make some amazing fights with people like Demian Maia, Gegard Mousasi, Jacare, or Denis Kang to name a few. St. Pierre would probably make for good fights with Swick, Alves, Penn, and Jake Shields.

are u watching the same ufc fights the rest of us are?

Okami had the title shot, he was injured.. they didnt rearrange things because they thought okami was boring.

We all know how gsp vs silva would turn out? a waste of time? you think fedor is the only person to pose a threat? Are you serious? Silva has never faced anyone like gsp before.

Silva's weakness is takedown defence... what's gsp's successful takedown percentage? highest in all of mma... something like that? Gsp has better striking than any of silva's competitors...ever.. by far. Gsp has shown how effective a high profile bjj black belt is against him on their back and has also shown some of the most effective ground and pound in the organization. To top that all off, he's a highly intelligent fighter from one of the premier camps and always comes in with a game plan and sticks to it.

Do i give gsp an automatic win? no... but giving silva an automatic win is just ignorant.

And the name drops you gave for mw contenders? really?!

Despite some impressive wins in his last few fights, you could make more of a case for leben fighting bisping then maia...

Mousasi.. horrible matchup, not under the ufc

Denis kang.. lost last 3 of 5.. probably not even top20 right now

jacare.. lost to mousasi.. what do you think silva would do to him?

ur ridiculous... only person in the division who stands a serious chance right now of beating silva is henderson, and thats if, and only if he can stick to a game plan.

And jake shields... come on now.. the doode just lost his top10 ranking in most peoples minds because his takedowns look worse than lutters and he spent 3 minutes in the mount with the guy on the bottom laughing at him.

gsp should fight penn because its an mma fan's wet dream... regardless of the outcome, both fighters should go back to their division, dominate some more.. and when there is no clear contender for gsp and no clear contender for silva, they should go at it.

My prediction: georges st pierre rd3 submission set up via ground st. pound.

Post #14   10/11/08 3:26:08PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I don't see a way BJ beats St Pierre. BJ's striking can't really touch GSP, He probably can't sub him from bottom, BJ can't take him down.

GSP's size and conditioning wins imo. BJ comes in shape but with a bunch of fat, not muscle. BJ would have to cut GSP really bad or get in top position and getting top position doesn't seem likely.

GSP unanimous decision. The Spider isn't guarrenteed a win by any means either. His only weakness is TD def. Silva would probably win, and by a finish, but no guarrenteed win.

Post #15   10/11/08 4:03:00PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3