Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alcohol and TUF

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

the_01

MMA Regular

the_01 Avatar

Career:487-358
Chips:
As an athlete, I am positive that alcohol and sports dont mix. We all know the many dangers alcohol can cause the human body and brain. It is a central nervous system depressant, even when used in small amounts. Alcohol is reported responsible for:

* 30% of road accidents
* 44% of fire injuries
* 34% of falls and drownings
* 16% of child abuse cases
* 12% of suicides
* 10% of industrial accidents

As well as deaths, short-term effects of alcohol result in illness and loss of work productivity (e.g. hangovers, drink driving offences). In addition, alcohol contributes to criminal behaviour - in Australia, for example, over 70% of prisoners convicted of violent assaults have drunk alcohol before committing the offence and more than 40% of domestic violence incidents involve alcohol.

In every season of TUF, we see how alcohol brings out the worst in fighters. Drunken fighters act stupid and bring shame to the sport. Personally, I disagree with the fact that the UFC offers alcohol to the fighters in TUF (A whole room full of it). I think they are working in opposite directions. So, I hope the UFC does not offer the fighters alcohol, keep them clean and healthy if you want the best fighters to be on your show. Show the world that mma fighters are the best athletes in the world and not a bunch of thugs.

The least to say, alcohol and sports dont mix. Thank you.

Post #1   10/10/08 4:13:24AM   

JohnnyNapalm

MMA Regular

JohnnyNapalm Avatar

Career:22-14
Chips:
Booze can be used to good effect. Just imagine if you're Tito and you're trying to work up your courage to get on Jenna

Seriously though, after a long training run on a hot day a cold beer (Kilkenny - Irish Cream Ale) is the cure for recovery. Many athletes down a beer after a work-out. There's degrees to everything and it's when you get excessive that it can hurt more than help. Moderation.

As for booze and TUF - that's for dramatic effect. Remember when Leben got liquored-up? Of course, we all do. Remember when Bisping didn't get liquord-up? Exactly.

Booze + TUF = drama = ratings = $ = smile on Dana's face.

Last edited 10/10/08 4:35AM server time by JohnnyNapalm
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/10/08 4:26:39AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I think the main thing is to DRINK RESPONSIBLY!

Post #3   10/10/08 4:29:34AM   

buckndro

MMA Regular

buckndro Avatar

Career:580-376
Camp: Chicago Top Team
Chips:
Well all comes down to self control, being locked up in house for month or so doing nothing but fighting and living with other fighters stuck in a house you sometimes want to sit back an relax an have cold one, just of matter of handling your Alcohol. And as it goes for the show it equals more ratings as they said which makes more money.

Post #4   10/10/08 6:53:03AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Like Dana said in the last episode, they are all adults and it's their own choice/responsibility to drink responsibly or not. I think it is actually a good thing because again as he said you get to find out who is mentally prepared for the big leagues. Guys like Junie and Jesse Taylor might be able to get through the season without causing too many problems while sober, but then what happens when they get into the UFC and start drinking at after-parties? Fighters represent their company in and outside of the ring, I think it's actually a good thing for them to find out if someone is a raging alcoholic with a vicious temper and no sellf-control beforehand. Junie may well have the potential to win the whole thing and would surely cause a lot of trouble publicity-wise for the company if they were unaware of his problem.

Grown men sometimes want to have a drink after a day of hard work. Alcohol can actually be very healthy in small doses. Wine is full of anti-oxidants and a glass of wine a day is healthy. Alcohol isn't just inherently bad or bad for you, it's up to the person drinking it to exercise self-control. It can be a bad or a good thing depending on the person using it.

Inanimate objects can't be good or bad, people can. Alcohol and sports don't mix badly, alcohol and alcoholics do.

_EDIT_
Also, there's a difference between "causing" and "being involved with" to say that alcohol "causes" child abuse or suicide is ridiculous. Many suicidal people are also alcoholics because depression and chemical dependency go hand in hand. It's not like people are vomiting rainbows and sunshine all day then they pick up a bottle of jack daniels and suddenly they want to off themselves.

Otherwise loving parents don't generally start beating their children just because they're drunk. People with anger and control issues beat their children, they simply become less inhibited when alcohol is involved. It may work to amplify certain negative traits already present but there's no way you can say that it causes them.

You're confusing the cause and effect. People with emotional problems are more likely to do all of the things that you listed, they are also far more likely to be involved in substance abuse. Their personality traits lead to both problems, alcohol itself doesn't cause them to happen.

Last edited 10/10/08 8:07AM server time by aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   10/10/08 7:54:29AM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
I understand why there is alcohol in the house. It leads to more drama, which is better tv. but, i don't like watching people blow their chance because of stupidity spurred by alcohol. I liked junie browning when the show first started. he was my favorite LW, as I'm sure he was with a lot of people. Now i can't wait until he is off the show. Anyone that arrogant has no business in the UFC. Everything he did in the last episode was selfish. He disrespected his opponents, his teammates, his coaches, and dana white. That type of childish behavior will catch up to him, hopefully soon. There are plenty of other fighters who wouldn't waste a chance that should have been there instead of him. Thank god efrain took out shane nelson. at least one of them is done now. and as nog said, junie is next for sure.

Post #6   10/10/08 9:25:01AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Beyond the drama added by alcohol, it's a way to weed out the weak ones. Plus like above, if they pull that shit in a bar then the UFC looks bad.

Post #7   10/10/08 1:01:37PM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
my big thing is, they say they cant hav e TV, radio, books, magazines, or ANY contact with family, because they should focus %100 percent on fighting. They then STOCK the house full of alcohol.
i hpe this has someting to do with the shows spike producers, and little to do with ufc management, but im sure there has to be some kind f agreement.

I like to defend dana white as much as pssible, but after wednesday's episode, it was impossible.

Post #8   10/10/08 2:25:27PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Beyond the drama added by alcohol, it's a way to weed out the weak ones. Plus like above, if they pull that shit in a bar then the UFC looks bad.

Thats what I was thinking other than the ratings. The show is ment to be an interview where they can watch how each guy conducts himself in and out of the cage. That includes his self disipline with alcohol

Post #9   10/10/08 3:08:39PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by MFOTHER

my big thing is, they say they cant hav e TV, radio, books, magazines, or ANY contact with family, because they should focus %100 percent on fighting. They then STOCK the house full of alcohol.
i hpe this has someting to do with the shows spike producers, and little to do with ufc management, but im sure there has to be some kind f agreement.

I like to defend dana white as much as pssible, but after wednesday's episode, it was impossible.

Well, Dana is a producer, but I don't think he is the main one. Either way, he is the president of the UFC, if he and the owners want their product associated with drunken behavior, especially after all they have done to legitimize it, then that is a big mistake. The only thing I see convincing them that it is ok are dollar signs in their eyes. I guess they assume that the money and fighter exposure of TUF more than compensates for the negative image of MMA.

As for wanting to drink alcohol. Personally, the times when I was into full training mode (i.e. working out 5-9 times a week heavily), I really watched what I ate and drank because what I put into my system had a direct effect on my performance. Now, that tells me something about some of the people on the show. Either they have no self control or they are not dedicated enough to what they claim they want to be their careers. I don't care what people say, you cannot function a 110% when you are drinking (alcohol) every day and these guys should be putting in a 110% if they really care about making a career in MMA.

What makes it funny is that they ball their eyes out when they get kicked out. That's plain pathetic. It's a pathetic way to act and it's pathetic that those types of people are selected for the show, when there are many more suitable representatives for MMA out there from which to choose.

Every time I mention MMA to someone they either reply regarding something from the early 90's or something from TUF. The bad image that TUF has put on MMA makes me reluctant to even talk about the sport to anyone other than known fans. I know it's ignorant to base an opinion on MMA solely from what they see on TUF, but to be honest, with what I have see on TUF since Season 1, I can't say I blame them for generalizing.

Post #10   10/10/08 5:36:05PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by the_01

As an athlete, I am positive that alcohol and sports dont mix. We all know the many dangers alcohol can cause the human body and brain. It is a central nervous system depressant, even when used in small amounts. Alcohol is reported responsible for:

* 30% of road accidents
* 44% of fire injuries
* 34% of falls and drownings
* 16% of child abuse cases
* 12% of suicides
* 10% of industrial accidents

As well as deaths, short-term effects of alcohol result in illness and loss of work productivity (e.g. hangovers, drink driving offences). In addition, alcohol contributes to criminal behaviour - in Australia, for example, over 70% of prisoners convicted of violent assaults have drunk alcohol before committing the offence and more than 40% of domestic violence incidents involve alcohol.

In every season of TUF, we see how alcohol brings out the worst in fighters. Drunken fighters act stupid and bring shame to the sport. Personally, I disagree with the fact that the UFC offers alcohol to the fighters in TUF (A whole room full of it). I think they are working in opposite directions. So, I hope the UFC does not offer the fighters alcohol, keep them clean and healthy if you want the best fighters to be on your show. Show the world that mma fighters are the best athletes in the world and not a bunch of thugs.

The least to say, alcohol and sports dont mix. Thank you.

And this is why i say legalize marijuana

Post #11   10/10/08 7:21:36PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think this last wed episode was one of the best i have seen ever
junni is just crazy redneck, he has to get the boot next week.. i would be shocked if he doesn't

Post #12   10/11/08 11:16:57AM   

ObsoleteMan

MMA Regular

Career:483-265
Chips:

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by seanfu

Thats what I was thinking other than the ratings. The show is ment to be an interview where they can watch how each guy conducts himself in and out of the cage. That includes his self disipline with alcohol

If that was true, why isolate them in the house? Either the point is (as they say) to isolate these guys, give them nothing to do but train, train, and on their off time, train some more, to see who can really make it in this sport, or the point is to make a reality show targeting the 18-30 demographic that also likes MMA.

If it's the former, there's not a single reason to give them alcohol. If they don't need TV, magazines, video games, etc, because they're distractions, what exactly is all the hard liquor for? I would almost understand having beer or wine, but tequila/gin/vodka? No one (that age, anyway) likes vodka for it's taste, they like to get ****** up off it. If they were trying to see how they conducted themselves in and out of the cage, putting them with people they don't know, in a completely foreign isolated environment they have no control over is a very bad way to do it. Like JT Money. Seemed fine in the house, didn't drink too much, didn't start fights, nothing. Gets out in Vegas? Biggest asshole embarrassment to the UFC possible, within a day.

If it's the latter, it only makes sense that they're giving them alcohol. Since every third promo they cut for this show is a variation on "and things REEALLY get crazy. *quick cut to broken furniture/shoving match/thrown object* Find out next time on.. The Ultimate Fighter". Why is the drinking always in the promo? The point of a promo is to attract viewers, so they clearly think that's a big draw for ratings. You lock up these young alpha personalities, and you deliberately don't give them a damn thing to do with their free time, except drink, and sit back and watch the fireworks.

It's ALL about the ratings, and I'm sure Dana White is aware of it. I mean, technically, I guess ratings are good for the sport. More money, more exposure, viewer attachment to the fighters drive PPV buys, etc. Of course, like Rush said, I'm worried about what exactly the effect of the publicity is.

Post #13   10/11/08 12:26:56PM   

metaray

Learning to Sprawl

Career:12-5
Chips:
Alcohol should not be allowed in the house, obviously. They know exactly what they are doing by allowing it.

Post #14   10/12/08 2:31:37PM   

AlfredBorden

Learning to Sprawl

AlfredBorden Avatar

Career:171-126
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:
They're grown men... many adults can drink and not act like 14 year olds trying to fight everyone. Its just some people cant handle a few drinks, the rest of the guys shouldnt have to suffer...

Post #15   10/12/08 9:37:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2