Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Marc Goddard Retires From MMA and Becomes UFC Referee

Print  
Posted By Message

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
For the majority of you who don't know him, Marc was supposed to be fighting his final fight last weekend, but pulled out due to his close friend and fellow fighter Ross Mason nearly being killed, he's helping Ross' wife and children get through this very difficult time, Leon Roberts who many of you may have seen on Cage Rage is also now becoming a UFC referee................it's a nice and almost moving read :

"As the title says really. I am now completely 100% retired from active MMA competition. I have enjoyed mixed success over the years and owe thanks to a whole host of different people, too many to name without fear of forgetting anyone.

I can not wait to take up 100% committed to my refereeing and coaching role in helping others. I will still obviously be teaching, training and compete actively with sub grappling.

From 18th October onwards I will be refereeing at UFC events and I am both deeply honoured and feel real achievement. Good things come to those who wait and the story of me being in before UFC 70 in Manchester to be decided at the last minute no now bears absolutely no significance. I am personally thrilled and can not wait to really get going.

I never said or set out to be the best 205lb fighter in the world but rest assured I will be setting my stall well and truly out to prove to be the best MMA ref in the world, this is something I know I can and will be without a doubt. Espacially now being granted the opportunity and honoured to be given the platform to do so.

This was confirmed for me a few weeks ago but it was always the intention to make Saturdays fight my last and hopefuly retire a champion, alas we all know what happened there and the fight not happening certainly does not matter now.

Even more good news is that I am not alone, as it was confirmed last week that my good friend Leon Roberts will be joining me as the second British representative as a referee. When ever I have been unable to make a show I have always asked Leon to step in for me and I think that he has proved just how good he is and I was so glad when I learned that the UFC had picked Leon too. I am both excited and thrilled for us both and we aim to show just what we are made of.

I have met some real gems in this game and will continue to do so no doubt i really look forward to the future and seeing you all out there and the stars of the game coming through as well as the sport developing here as it should.

Obviously in light of the weekends events I had wished to make this announcment in happier times but that just goes to show that you never know whats coming next, thats why I will be taking this opportunity with both firm hands !

Thankyou to all that wish me well and for those that may not I am sorry for the reason that may have not to, but as I said due to the weekends events may I kindly request that any negatives be refrained from here or at least hate on me via PM.

Sorry if i have been long winded. Love to you all, see you in the cage - peace, Marc."

Cage Warriors Forum Link

Last edited 10/6/08 2:09PM server time by Ben_Hutch
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #1   10/6/08 2:03:56PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
Theirs no such thing as a "UFC" referee... The state athletic commission owns them

Post #2   10/6/08 3:12:59PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Chips:
Well saying "UFC Referee" is a bit easier than saying "Marc Goddard will be hired by the State Athletic Comission to Referee in UFC Events", besides, that wouldn't even fit in the Title.

Post #3   10/6/08 3:18:19PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
"Marc Goddard retires from fighting to become a Referee for MMA" that could have worked, but w/e

Post #4   10/6/08 3:33:15PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Chips:

Posted by HumanTarget

"Marc Goddard retires from fighting to become a Referee for MMA" that could have worked, but w/e

Marc Goddard has been a referee for years, he's one of the most highly respected referee's in UKMMA so stating he "become[s] a Referee for MMA" wouldn't be news at all.

Post #5   10/6/08 3:52:11PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by HumanTarget

Marc Goddard has been a referee for years, he's one of the most highly respected referee's in UKMMA so stating he "become[s] a Referee for MMA" wouldn't be news at all.

Just trying to be clever Mr Target?

Post #6   10/6/08 3:56:16PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well done Marc

Working with the SACs will allow Marc to realise his dream, as he takes charge of some of the best fighters on the planet.

There's been a lot of spotlight on bad refereeing decisions these last few months, i hope Goddard takes this chance and becomes one of the best there is.

Post #7   10/6/08 4:02:46PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by HumanTarget

Just trying to be clever Mr Target?

Lol well 'HumanTarget' tried to be cleaver, so i had to give him a taste of his own medicine, he was asking for it

Post #8   10/6/08 4:12:51PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Mmmm....

Post #9   10/6/08 4:14:45PM