Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

ALMEIDA OUT; DAN MILLER WILL FACE MATT HORWICH

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
An undisclosed injury has forced Brazilian Jiu-jitsu ace Ricardo Almeida out of his scheduled fight at UFC 90 in Chicago. Stepping in to replace him is highly touted middleweight prospect Dan Miller, who will now face Matt Horwich on Oct. 25.

The fight has been verbally agreed to by both fighters and should be signed shortly according to sources close to the situation, as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com

Miller was signed to the UFC recently after a stint in the International Fight League that saw him crowned the last-ever middleweight champion for the now defunct promotion.

Ironically enough his opponent, Matt Horwich, was the first ever IFL middleweight champion, but lost the belt during his first title defense a few months later.

Miller made an impressive debut in the Octagon by submitting veteran fighter Rob Kimmons by rear naked choke in the first round of their match-up at the UFC Fight Night event in mid-September.

LINK

Post #1   10/4/08 6:37:21AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
dang i wanted to see him fight almeida. oh well

Post #2   10/4/08 6:53:25AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
this does nothing for me, didn't these two already fight in the ifl, i was hoping these two would get to prove themselves in the ufc, not face guys they already fought in a defunct organization.

Post #3   10/4/08 12:15:07PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think I like this.....it's cool to bring in some of the ex-IFL fighter's to the UFC, but it should have been the big names. They are starting to pull on guys who only had a couple of fights there, aren't a big name, had only marked success, and doesn't do anything for the fans who happen to even know of the IFL and it's fighters. I don't think I want to see any IFL match ups in the UFC!

Post #4   10/4/08 12:22:46PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I don't think I like this.....it's cool to bring in some of the ex-IFL fighter's to the UFC, but it should have been the big names. They are starting to pull on guys who only had a couple of fights there, aren't a big name, had only marked success, and doesn't do anything for the fans who happen to even know of the IFL and it's fighters. I don't think I want to see any IFL match ups in the UFC!

I disagree, Dan Miller is no joke and I think he has a lot of potential. He won't be the guy to beat A. Silva, but who will? Anyways, Dan is a very talented fighter and I see him giving a lot of 185 lbers. fits. So, I don't mind seeing two former IFL fighters fight in the UFC. Because, Dan is destined for big things and this is an interesting match-up IMO. I like it more than I did before TBH, because I saw Ricardo fighting a cautious fight and only trying to win on points. Here I see an up and comer who wants to put on a show for the fans and I see him doing just that!

EDIT: No, they have not fought before...

Last edited 10/4/08 12:46PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   10/4/08 12:41:36PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by wolfman

Posted by jae_1833

I disagree, Dan Miller is no joke and I think he has a lot of potential. He won't be the guy to beat A. Silva, but who will? Anyways, Dan is a very talented fighter and I see him giving a lot of 185 lbers. fits. So, I don't mind seeing to former IFL fighters fight in the UFC. Because, Dan is destined for big things and this is an interesting match-up IMO. I like it more than I did before TBH, because I saw Ricardo fighting a cautious fight and only trying to win on points. Here I see an up and comer who wants to put on a show for the fans and I see him doing just that!

miller is definitely a talent, and so is horwich, but the problem is nobody knows this and they already fought in a b level org, this fight is slowing down the process of them making a name for themselves, and getting a much more interesting matchup to see how good they really are. throw one of them at kendall grove, ed herman to see if they really belong fighting with the big guys.

EDIT: check that they didn't fight in the ifl, but i still stand by the rest of my statement.

Last edited 10/4/08 12:48PM server time by nickcuc547
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/4/08 12:47:54PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by wolfman

Posted by jae_1833

I disagree, Dan Miller is no joke and I think he has a lot of potential. He won't be the guy to beat A. Silva, but who will? Anyways, Dan is a very talented fighter and I see him giving a lot of 185 lbers. fits. So, I don't mind seeing to former IFL fighters fight in the UFC. Because, Dan is destined for big things and this is an interesting match-up IMO. I like it more than I did before TBH, because I saw Ricardo fighting a cautious fight and only trying to win on points. Here I see an up and comer who wants to put on a show for the fans and I see him doing just that!

miller is definitely a talent, and so is horwich, but the problem is nobody knows this and they already fought in a b level org, this fight is slowing down the process of them making a name for themselves, and getting a much more interesting matchup to see how good they really are. throw one of them at kendall grove, ed herman to see if they really belong fighting with the big guys.

EDIT: check that they didn't fight in the ifl, but i still stand by the rest of my statement.

I agree with what you are saying, but remember that Ricardo was injured and they needed a fighter to step up and fill in. So, of course he won't be a fighting a big name, he is just filling in. Anyways, I'm sure after this fight people will start to recognize Dan Miller a little more. I'm sure if he gets past Matt he will get a big name or TUF name if you will. Be patient people.

Post #7   10/4/08 1:26:49PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I think this is a great replacement. Dan is a GREAT fighter to replace big dog and this fight will be great.

These guys have never fought btw but Miller beat the guy who beat Horwich for the title. Miller is a great fighter all in great ground game and a great wrestler. I wouldn't say he he could never beat Anderson though it would be hard i think the fight would def. great.

Post #8   10/5/08 11:37:02PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Career:2,577-1,445
Camp: TKO
Chips:
miller can be champion someday

Post #9   10/7/08 12:11:17AM