Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA is the MOST Physically Demanding Sport in the World

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JimmieDD

MMA Regular

Career:-
Chips:
http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/mma-is-the-most-physically-demanding-sport-in-the-world/

What do you guys think of this?

You think MMA is the worst? I have heard water polo is ridiculous.

I would say MMA is one of the hardest to trian for for sure.

Post #1   10/2/08 11:29:52AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
I would say body building ranks up there with MMA in that every muscle in the body has the be strong lean trained and ripped. Weight cutting is just the same.Of course MMA has more physicality

Post #2   10/2/08 11:39:55AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
dude who wrote the article IMO is an MMA nuthugger... there are lots of sports that are just as physically demanding.. I used to play hockey nad was a golaie.. I played soccer.. if your standing around your not playing the game... these guys may not be running all out but are moving almost non stop for at least an hour.. (again I played goalie true I got to stand around a bit. ) Do not get me wrong.. MMA is hard but the training is no more or less then any top athlete in any sport.. look at a gymnyst.. the only difference is MMA training (along with boxing) requires you to get hit.. so yea it may require more physical punishment but it is not more physically demanding..

Post #3   10/2/08 12:15:04PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
For starters it was written by an MMA website, they probably had a slow blog month or something.

I think the thing to remember is at least now MMA is being accepted as a sport where the athletes have to train seriously and cant be bar brawlers (aka tank).

Post #4   10/2/08 12:41:28PM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar

Career:263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
Not even close if you are talking only about endurance. The 4 deserts series of ultra marathons would be the most grueling endurance feat I can think of (providing that you actually try to win each race by running it). Each race is a 250km footrace (Records are under 25 hours that's 10km/h for 25 hours!) in the 4 greatest deserts on earth, the Sahara in Egypt, the Gobi in China, the Atacama in Chile and the ultimate test, the "Last Desert" in ANTARCTICA. In terms of strictly endurance, MMA doesn't even compare.

As an all around physical sport though, yes I would agree, MMA takes on average more skills, endurance, strength, timing, speed, co-ordination and strategy than any other sport on earth that I can think of. Nothing else I can think of requires such a large combination of skills and abilities. (and no football doesn't match up, after each 10 second play you have a 20 second rest, never mind halftime, quarter breaks, and you only play offense or defense so that cuts in in half. I played football and trained MMA. Way more tired after an average MMA workout than a hard football practice even with the full equipment, hockey too.)

Last edited 10/2/08 1:50PM server time by the_hungry_lumberjack
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   10/2/08 1:45:52PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:
I would say american football is the most demanding and hardest to train for. You are wearing upwards of 35 pounds of equipment all day long in 100 degree weather, while inside the uniform your body temp is somewhere around 115- or more degrees. You have to do everything that MMA does and more to prepare for a game.

Anyone who has ever played "Head Coach" SUCESSFULLY will understand the demands that each player is placed under, regardless of position. You run in all that hot equipment, you workout with weights, you run drills, you are constantly being hit and hitting another player, you are constantly using every muscle in your body to push, pull, tackle, run, throw, jump, hit, juke etc. All while wearing a uniform AND helmet which keeps the heat inside and on your head.

Anyone who has ever worn a football uniform knows exactly what I am talking about. I have never seen a bonifide 400 pound MMA fighter that could fight another 400lb MMA (lineman) for 2 hours and still be standing at the end of the game. Most MMA guys are lucky to last 25mins in the octagon without looking like they are about to fall over and puke. Ive never seen an MMA fighter regardless of size don 35lbs of equipment for 2 hours and get hit in every part of his body by MULTIPLE men who are running full speed and hitting with the intent of knocking his opponents head off. I've never seen an MMA player get paralyzed from a brutal hit yet Ive seen a few in Football. Broken bones are all part of the game in football, and player play with breaks, sprains, tears, etc etc whereas an MMA figter gets a sprained wrist and calls off the fight.

MMA fighters do train alot, and spend alot of time in the gym, but we are talking about how physically demanding the sport is, and until MMA fighters don 35lbs of equipment in 110 degrees (regardless of outside weather) then I would have to give the nod to famerican football players.

Football players do everything an MMA fighter does and more (BTW Ive heard where receivers and defensive back practice MMA grappling to help tackle better or avoid being tackled or having tha ball stripped.

anyway thats my personal opinion from having played football for 3 years, and having studied jiu jitsu for a little over 2 years.

Last edited 10/2/08 1:48PM server time by bigkat
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/2/08 1:46:08PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
Football? Soccer?

Ive seen people who would seem very physically fit come in my gym. They gas FAST! Triathlon runners dont stand a chance. MMA is defenity the most demanding. Your taking punishment NON stop.

Post #7   10/2/08 2:52:11PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by BIGKAT

I would say american football is the most demanding and hardest to train for. You are wearing upwards of 35 pounds of equipment all day long in 100 degree weather, while inside the uniform your body temp is somewhere around 115- or more degrees. You have to do everything that MMA does and more to prepare for a game.

Anyone who has ever played "Head Coach" SUCESSFULLY will understand the demands that each player is placed under, regardless of position. You run in all that hot equipment, you workout with weights, you run drills, you are constantly being hit and hitting another player, you are constantly using every muscle in your body to push, pull, tackle, run, throw, jump, hit, juke etc. All while wearing a uniform AND helmet which keeps the heat inside and on your head.

Anyone who has ever worn a football uniform knows exactly what I am talking about. I have never seen a bonifide 400 pound MMA fighter that could fight another 400lb MMA (lineman) for 2 hours and still be standing at the end of the game. Most MMA guys are lucky to last 25mins in the octagon without looking like they are about to fall over and puke. Ive never seen an MMA fighter regardless of size don 35lbs of equipment for 2 hours and get hit in every part of his body by MULTIPLE men who are running full speed and hitting with the intent of knocking his opponents head off. I've never seen an MMA player get paralyzed from a brutal hit yet Ive seen a few in Football. Broken bones are all part of the game in football, and player play with breaks, sprains, tears, etc etc whereas an MMA figter gets a sprained wrist and calls off the fight.

MMA fighters do train alot, and spend alot of time in the gym, but we are talking about how physically demanding the sport is, and until MMA fighters don 35lbs of equipment in 110 degrees (regardless of outside weather) then I would have to give the nod to famerican football players.

Football players do everything an MMA fighter does and more (BTW Ive heard where receivers and defensive back practice MMA grappling to help tackle better or avoid being tackled or having tha ball stripped.

anyway thats my personal opinion from having played football for 3 years, and having studied jiu jitsu for a little over 2 years.

Rugby dominates football
to much rest in football along with pads while rugby is the same thing but without pads and no rest seeing as it 2 40 min periods of continuous play. every sport offer unique ways of training the body so topic tends to go in circles

Post #8   10/2/08 2:56:47PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
i think it does come down to mma n rugby though

Post #9   10/2/08 2:57:44PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Soccer players go hard for 90 minutes in 11 different position.

Post #10   10/2/08 3:11:57PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I'm the type of athelete who plays all sports.. most of which i've played varsity.

Soccer: Unless you're a midfield, all you need is decent cardio because you're doing a lot of jogging or walking. If you are midfield, then ya you need some serious cardio to be able to play at a professional level... but cardio and fast twitch muscle is all you need.

Football: This is a fall sport. How often does an NFL team play in 100 degree weather? And could you find me a medical reference of a player's core temperature of being 115? As mentioned in the above post... plays are short, the breaks inbetween allow players to get their rest. If thats not enough you get a rest period on every call, if thats not enough you get timeouts, if thats not enough you get breaks at the quarter, if thats not enough you get a rest at halftime, if thats not enough you get subs, and if thats not enough, a balanced game will have you on the field around 40% of the time. Do football players train hard and are in peak physical condition? you're damn right they are... but dont get into things like taking hits and having to wear gear because hockey makes a far better argument.

Rugby: Never played... always wanted to. From watching, its nonstop, and its physical... but apart from the occasional bursts of speed, i find that the pace is not as quick as other sports. I've seen a lot of people who are not in great shape play rugby well at a varsity level. But i've never played so i cant comment too much on this.

MMA: I've said for a few years now that mma athletes are the best conditioned athletes in the world. World class body builders will have better muscularture, world class marathon runners will have better cardio, world class running backs will have better agility, and world class boxers will have better hand eye cordination but in what sport are you useless when you're not in the top 1 percentile of all of these categories? and thats not mentioning skill or talent... with football a player's job is so specialized that your kicker doesnt even punt.. in a marathon... all you gotta do is run. With mma you're need to be highly specialized in more than one discipline to even compete... if you wanna be a champion you need to dominate all aspects.

No sport requires such a high level of cordination, cardio, intelligence, agility, strategy, strength, power, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, ability to sustain damage, and focus... not to mention the requirement of such a diverse but highly developed skill set

Post #11   10/2/08 4:14:36PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
In terms of how Demanding/physically difficult they are, Rugby ***** all over Football (NFL) all day long, there's no way anyone can say otherwise.

And that's coming from a big NFL fan.

Post #12   10/2/08 4:25:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Oh God not this again.

Post #13   10/2/08 5:04:45PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I'm the type of athelete who plays all sports.. most of which i've played varsity.

Soccer: Unless you're a midfield, all you need is decent cardio because you're doing a lot of jogging or walking. If you are midfield, then ya you need some serious cardio to be able to play at a professional level... but cardio and fast twitch muscle is all you need.

Football: This is a fall sport. How often does an NFL team play in 100 degree weather? And could you find me a medical reference of a player's core temperature of being 115? As mentioned in the above post... plays are short, the breaks inbetween allow players to get their rest. If thats not enough you get a rest period on every call, if thats not enough you get timeouts, if thats not enough you get breaks at the quarter, if thats not enough you get a rest at halftime, if thats not enough you get subs, and if thats not enough, a balanced game will have you on the field around 40% of the time. Do football players train hard and are in peak physical condition? you're damn right they are... but dont get into things like taking hits and having to wear gear because hockey makes a far better argument.

Rugby: Never played... always wanted to. From watching, its nonstop, and its physical... but apart from the occasional bursts of speed, i find that the pace is not as quick as other sports. I've seen a lot of people who are not in great shape play rugby well at a varsity level. But i've never played so i cant comment too much on this.

MMA: I've said for a few years now that mma athletes are the best conditioned athletes in the world. World class body builders will have better muscularture, world class marathon runners will have better cardio, world class running backs will have better agility, and world class boxers will have better hand eye cordination but in what sport are you useless when you're not in the top 1 percentile of all of these categories? and thats not mentioning skill or talent... with football a player's job is so specialized that your kicker doesnt even punt.. in a marathon... all you gotta do is run. With mma you're need to be highly specialized in more than one discipline to even compete... if you wanna be a champion you need to dominate all aspects.

No sport requires such a high level of cordination, cardio, intelligence, agility, strategy, strength, power, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, ability to sustain damage, and focus... not to mention the requirement of such a diverse but highly developed skill set

How many hockey players have collapsed and died on the field from heat exhaustion from weasring their uniforms while on ice? How many mma fighters have died from practicing in 35 lbs of equipment? None.

http://www.rgp.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v10n3/story4.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94034620

The heat issue inside a football uniform is highly known, and all it takes is a simple goolge search to educate yourself. Why do you think that they are looking for ways to cool the uniforms so that it is bearable. I didnt say they had to play in 100 degree weather, I said they are over 100 degrees REGARDLESS of weather. I said 115 degrees, and I was wrong on that number which was an estimate, but it is common knowledge that the players perform at over 100 degrees constantly, regardless of a little 2 minute break they get ona time out. MMA fighters get a break every 5 minutes regardless, and all they have to do is kick someone in the nads and they get 5 min break, MMA doesnt even compare to american football. And rugby, try it with 35lbs of pads AND a helmet on where your bodyheat cant escape, and then tell me rugby is harder...thats laughable.

Post #14   10/2/08 5:14:58PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,507-865
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
As a sign of how physically demanding MMA is, look at how many fights get called off or pushed back every month because someone is injured from training. These guys are pushing themselves to the max to be the best in all areas possible because one, you cant rely on a teammate who is more skilled in one area, and two you're not going to have a very fruitful career if you cant hang at the top level. It might not be the most physically demanding, but as the sport progresses fighters are required to squeeze more and more out of their performance. No way you can compare that to football or soccer.

Post #15   10/2/08 6:39:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2