Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Medical beat: Do MMA fans want a sport -- or sanctioned street fight?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I write articles about sports from a medical perspective. I have been described as "a passionate fan that just happens to be a doctor." I like this description and find it to be reasonably accurate.

I am not trying to preach to anyone or act as some sort of "moral authority." I am not the all-knowing definitive voice of anything. I aspire to use my training/knowledge, professional (and personal) experience and humor to offer a fresh perspective.

Do the hardcore fans want MMA to be a sport or sanctioned street fight?

LINK

Post #1   10/1/08 1:15:23PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
SPORT

SPORT

Last edited 10/1/08 1:40PM server time by Darnok
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/1/08 1:40:02PM   

dust

Banned

Career:453-247
Chips:
People who love it as a sport are in the minority thanks to TUF.

Post #3   10/1/08 1:52:25PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
i've always liked it as a sport.. honestly in the early days it did not appeal to me as much as it does now.. did I watch it back then? Heck yea.. but did I love it... No not really.. and I kinda stopped watching for awhile as it seemed to me to be more sanctioned street fight then martial arts... Now the Art is coming back into it in my eyes and I am enjoying more.. some of these athletes are freaking amazing and the one dimensional guys do not last long in this sport.. They may call boxing the sweet science... but MMA is pure poetry in motion...

(gods that was a bit corny)

Post #4   10/1/08 2:07:37PM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
what a stupid queston of course real mma fans want it as a sport its the Kimbo fans that want a sanctioned street fight.

Post #5   10/1/08 3:09:48PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i think anyone on this web site will have the common sense to reply sport.

Post #6   10/1/08 3:22:16PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
"Do the hardcore fans want MMA to be a sport or sanctioned street fight? I ask this question in all sincerity."

I would say that anyone who wants a "sanctioned street fight" is by definition not a hardcore MMA fan.

"Just read the comment sections or forums on the most popular MMA websites. They are full of the hardcore faithful equating the 'purity' of MMA and a street fight."

Then they're idiots. You can't call yourself a hardcore football fan and then say that it should more like rugby. That makes you a fan of rugby.

A street fight isn't MMA, nor vice-versa. Just ask Kimbo.

Post #7   10/1/08 3:46:22PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
It's in your blood as a male to fight.
sorry.
If you have to categorize it, that's fine.

Post #8   10/1/08 6:10:02PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
There has to be rules that protect the fighter. That's why the refs are sanctioned by state Health Departments, and there are doctors at ringside. You can't gouge someone's eyes out or kick the groin, etc. I am a fan of the sport and one of the above posts interests me. I too have watched the UFC and Pride from the beginning and I really enjoyed them. But in 1995 I didn't love the sport like I do now and even 8 years ago. Sometimes the "Kimbo-type" fans piss me off. Even Kimbo will tell you there's a huge difference between street fighting and MMA. I think "Kimbo-type" will be a new term for street fighting fans and fans of street-fighting styles in MMA. Anyways, there will always be arguments about rules, like the PRIDE vs. UFC argument, but there isn't much of an argument on the side of being no rules. That's because all hard-core MMA fans know that rules are necessary. No one wants to see anyone die in the cage or ring. Though that may happen, most of these guys are trying to support families and need to be protected.

Post #9   10/1/08 6:22:40PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by hodge

what a stupid queston of course real mma fans want it as a sport its the Kimbo fans that want a sanctioned street fight.

imo its less barberic then boxing and im and have always been a boxing fan but they stand in fornt of each other for 12 rounds and hit each other in the face lol
mma is more so much more and any REAL fan will say the same

Post #10   10/1/08 6:30:32PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Chips:
Is that the only difference between calling this a sport vs a street fight, rules? Then why do people look down on either one? Their horse too tall?

If you compare it to football then, are the kids playing in the park something to scowl about because when I was a kid there were NO RULES. You could get really ****** up, but no one cared, no one complained. Smash bang tackle scrape bleed maybe fight.
Hell, we played British Bulldog before school every day when I was in 5th and 6th grade. There was no 2 hand tap bullshit. We played on blacktop too. BAM! No one cared and no one complained becuase it is in our nature to fight and be aggressive and to deny that because what? Society seems to think that ignoring this basic fact of human nature makes it wrong or makes it go away but it NEVER WILL.
I want to fight you and I will fight you anytime you want to push it. So does everyone else in every country around the world. Look at all the wars that have been fought. Why do you suppose that is? People want to fight each other, and watching a fight makes you want to fight even more.

Denying it makes you either a coward or a liar, in my eyes anyway.

WAR EVERYONE!

Post #11   10/2/08 8:28:32AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by aaa9erh8er

Posted by hodge

imo its less barberic then boxing and im and have always been a boxing fan but they stand in fornt of each other for 12 rounds and hit each other in the face lol
mma is more so much more and any REAL fan will say the same

WTF does "barbaric" mean? I know what you are trying to imply, but if some dudes want to bash each other in the face for 20 minutes with pillow fists, how dare anyone imply that it's somehow wrong. It's not.
I should have the freedom to smash my head on a wall or shoot drugs in my veins if damn well please and it's totally unfair for anyone to judge me to the point of telling me I shouldnt do that to myself if I want to do that to myself.
Society be damned.

and as far as this "fan vs non fan" insanity I constantly read around here, who is the judge of that? How many fights do I have to watch to be a "real fan"? Where's the line? It's a fallacy and doesn't exist. You guys throw around words like "fan" and "babaric" like they have some sort of higher grounded meaning on which to stand and nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited 10/2/08 8:35AM server time by saemskin
2 total post edits

Post #12   10/2/08 8:32:08AM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,516-872
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:

Posted by saemskin

and as far as this "fan vs non fan" insanity I constantly read around here, who is the judge of that? How many fights do I have to watch to be a "real fan"? Where's the line? It's a fallacy and doesn't exist. You guys throw around words like "fan" and "babaric" like they have some sort of higher grounded meaning on which to stand and nothing could be further from the truth.

haha, I always find that funny. Some people like to think only a select few are deserving of being fans of the sport. Oh and you have to be training MMA to be a real fan, its not like football or basketball where you dont get trashed for having an opinion about the sport because you dont play either of them yourself.

Last edited 10/2/08 9:24AM server time by Solidus

Post #13   10/2/08 9:23:21AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I want it to be a sport for sure.
If I wanted street fights,I would go watch felony fights are something along those lines.

Post #14   10/2/08 10:05:00AM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
There have been studies stating that MMA is safer than boxing and football. In boxing you repeatadly take punches in the face and body throughout several rounds. In mma, the fights are no more than 5 rounds (nowadays) and you don't take the repeated punishment as a boxing match. The term "punch drunk" is real. It takes a serious toll on your mental well-being as well as your physical well-being when your punched over and over and over in one sitting. There has to be rules or states wouldn't sanction it. As fans, sometimes we want to see someone really get hurt. We want blood. However, you have to realize that the fighters need to be protected. Although many of you may laugh or argue, but this is an art/science. You can be extremely tough, but if you aren't smart, someone will find a game-plan to beat you. It takes mental strength on top of physical prowess.

Post #15   10/2/08 10:14:55AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2