Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Can Ken Shamrock Save EliteXC?

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ken Shamrock has been in more matches that have shaped the history of mixed martial arts than any other fighter.

This long and winding road leads to what may be his final exit on Saturday night when Shamrock headlines against Kimbo Slice on CBS in yet another pivotal night in the sport’s history.

A bad prime-time television rating, coming off the heels of poor numbers for a July card, would likely doom Elite XC’s future on the network. And it wouldn’t be a positive as Showtime makes a final decision on whether to purchase the company, which is running low on funds with more than $56 million in losses over the past two years.

“Several times in my career I’ve been put in this position where the company needed a rating or a buy rate and I’ve always come through,” said Shamrock, 44.

Shamrock still has the ability to talk up a fight, but can his body match his mouth? Shamrock says his accumulated injuries, such as knees that couldn’t hold up to the kind of training needed to fight top-level competition at his age, and a shoulder that had to be surgically replaced, are fine and he’s finished a good camp. Those who have trained with him say he’s strong, fast and hits hard.

LINK

Post #1   9/30/08 2:17:24PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,391-816
Chips:
Kimbo by KO - Round 1. Not sure that saves anything but it will make Kimbo seem more legit. Kimbo - please fight/beat someone who A) has some sort of MMA skill set and B) isn't waaaaaaay past his prime - then I will believe.

Post #2   9/30/08 3:56:47PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Ken Winning would be good for Elite XC I beleive as well as good for his carear..

Post #3   9/30/08 4:01:55PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Ken Winning would be good for Elite XC I beleive as well as good for his carear..

Are you serious? If Ken wins it would kill EliteXC. They're praying Kimbo knocks Ken out in highlight reel fashion. If Ken still had a descent shot I would pick him because if they're on the mat Ken would sub him in under a minute. Unfortunately injuries have taken their toll and Ken is in a very similar situation to his brother. He can't really shoot anymore so he stands and bangs. Unfortunately for Ken his brother is a lot better at it.

Post #4   9/30/08 6:01:08PM   

Matimus

Banned

Matimus Avatar

Career:341-187
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by The-Don

Are you serious? If Ken wins it would kill EliteXC. They're praying Kimbo knocks Ken out in highlight reel fashion. If Ken still had a descent shot I would pick him because if they're on the mat Ken would sub him in under a minute. Unfortunately injuries have taken their toll and Ken is in a very similar situation to his brother. He can't really shoot anymore so he stands and bangs. Unfortunately for Ken his brother is a lot better at it.

I agree

Post #5   9/30/08 8:09:00PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
If your looking to Ken Shamrock as your saving grace your companies future does not look too bright

Post #6   9/30/08 8:10:07PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Unless Ken has about $60 mil in his back pocket, I don't see any way he can save Elite XC.

Post #7   9/30/08 9:28:13PM   

tlangley

MMA Regular

tlangley Avatar

Career:425-240
Chips:
Kimbo wins plan and simple

Post #8   10/1/08 12:14:55AM   

JoeySteel

MMA Regular

JoeySteel Avatar

Career:1,364-991
Chips:
no. But Kimbo can.

My prediction.
He is gonna display the worst ground game in the history of MMA, but will refuse to submit, allowing Ken to break ever bone in his body.

The ref refuses to call the fight, saying Kimbo is intelligently defending himself.

Dan Migliotta, the ref, finally calls the fight, as Ken gets up near the end of the 3rd round to rest and falls on his face and starts bleeding from his nose.

The fight is immediately called. Kimbo declared the winner, but Dan has to hold his boneless body up to accept the accolades and watch Shamrock sulk into further obscurity,

Kimbo is then eleted the first black president of the US, and first woman vice president, as he reveals he has both sets of genitalia.

Keep it up Kimbo. HOPE.

Post #9   10/1/08 1:14:48AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by JoeySteel

no. But Kimbo can.

My prediction.
He is gonna display the worst ground game in the history of MMA, but will refuse to submit, allowing Ken to break ever bone in his body.

The ref refuses to call the fight, saying Kimbo is intelligently defending himself.

Dan Migliotta, the ref, finally calls the fight, as Ken gets up near the end of the 3rd round to rest and falls on his face and starts bleeding from his nose.

The fight is immediately called. Kimbo declared the winner, but Dan has to hold his boneless body up to accept the accolades and watch Shamrock sulk into further obscurity,

Kimbo is then eleted the first black president of the US, and first woman vice president, as he reveals he has both sets of genitalia.

Keep it up Kimbo. HOPE.

Now that is reaching.........

Post #10   10/1/08 1:34:00AM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,703-1,429
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

If your looking to Ken Shamrock as your saving grace your companies future does not look too bright

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Post #11   10/1/08 10:47:21AM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
I don't think Ken will be any type of saving grace for EliteXC. After his Cung Le fight i saw a small glimare of spark left in him foro this sport but he's no Randy Couture and has a huge winning future and can claim to be one of the best in his weight division in the world like Randy could. It's just another trashcan for Kimbo to beat up on. Only difference is this was a popular model that has a step on pedal to raise the lid for you. EliteXC has a lot of problems with getting good fighters and paying way to much for junk. Next it'll be Kurt Angel vs Kimbo! remember u heard me say is first!!!

Post #12   10/1/08 12:05:27PM