Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gegard Mousasi: I'm Fighting Vitor Belfort, Fedor to Fight Josh Barnett Both at Affliction's January Show

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
if it was me, i'd make these match ups:

fedor vs barnett
aleks vs arlovski

Post #16   9/30/08 6:16:11PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I think Gegard will run right through Belfort.......Belfort should have owned Terry Martin, but he didnt impress me much in that fight, and Gegard is dominating his opponents right now so i see first round stoppage Mousasi....

Post #17   9/30/08 7:46:07PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

I think Gegard will run right through Belfort.......Belfort should have owned Terry Martin, but he didnt impress me much in that fight, and Gegard is dominating his opponents right now so i see first round stoppage Mousasi....

I agree. Mousasi should have a noticeable size advantage. I think he'll dominate the fight, taking it to the ground and submitting or pounding him out. It's Mousasi's fight to lose.

Post #18   9/30/08 8:04:28PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by wrona666

I agree. Mousasi should have a noticeable size advantage. I think he'll dominate the fight, taking it to the ground and submitting or pounding him out. It's Mousasi's fight to lose.

i'm pretty sure vitor is leaps and bounds ahead on the ground game than mousassi. gegard is a kicboxer turned MMA'er.

Post #19   9/30/08 10:11:31PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
If affliction makes Mousasi vs. Belfort, Fedor vs. Barnett, and Arlovski vs. Aleks workout then this card could potentially rival Affliction: Banned, except the fights won't be lopsided this time

Post #20   9/30/08 10:54:42PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by gartface

Posted by wrona666

i'm pretty sure vitor is leaps and bounds ahead on the ground game than mousassi. gegard is a kicboxer turned MMA'er.

He caught Denis Kang in a triangle, and if I'm not mistaken Denis Kang is a BJJ black belt.

Post #21   9/30/08 11:04:43PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by gartface

Posted by wrona666

Leaps and bounds? Vitor has a whopping 2 victories by submission compared to Mousasi's 8. I understand that Vitor comes from a BJJ background but what does that mean? Matt Serra is a black belt and he was dominated on the ground by GSP. I don't think Vitor has the advantage in anything here. Mousasi is the superior wrestler and at this point in their careers the superior striker. While I don't see him submitting Vitor, I don't see him getting submitted either. Mousasi by TKO 2nd round

Post #22   9/30/08 11:43:22PM   

TruestSoulSoljah

Banned

Career:-
Chips:
2 of my favorite fighters ever. Gegard and Vitor. This is a tough one to call. So true. I think most will pick Mousasi, and for good reason. I am gonna take Vitor UD. Because I think both of these guys will be good enough to go back and forth and I dont think neither will dominate the other. Gegard is gonna have to fight smart to respect Vitor's power. And Vitor is much more well rounded than you think. He was great against Dan Henderson, and has given Allistair Overeem a run for his money. Those are incredible statements. Vitor is actually underated at this point. And he's got Randy Cotoure in his corner. Which is effing awesome and shows how much class both these guys carry. I think it will be an even fight, Vitor will have some craftiness due to his expierience I think he will do enough to get the decision win.

Post #23   10/1/08 12:15:16AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by wrona666

Actually, Vitor is a pretty big 185er. Remember, he always looked pretty beffy at 205 and he looked pretty big against the admittidly short Martin. I don't think Gregard will sub him. I've seen too many old school Abu Dhabi matches with Vitor in there to think that he doesn't know how to defend a sub. Gregard does appear to have the better wrestling, and him working with Red Devil is only gonna make him a lot better.

I think Gregard wins this one by grinding Vitor into the mat and taking away his will to fight. But if it stays on the feet... all bets are off. Gregard can strike, but Vitor still has those quick hands.

People talk about Old Vitor and that he is a disapointment. Here is a list of people Vitor has lost to:
Randy Couture x2 by TKO
Kazushi Sakuraba in his prime by a close decision
Chuck Liddell by decision
Tito Ortiz by split decision
Alistair Overeem x2 one sub by guillotine and one decision
Dan Henderson by decision

That's some quality opposition to lose to.

BTW... about Vitor's performance against Martin... he knocked him out with a broken hand.

Post #24   10/1/08 1:13:14AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If only there was a 'can't choose between the 2' option

This fight is too close to call for me. I hope it get's confirmed.

Great piece of matchmaking.

Post #25   10/1/08 1:30:55AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2