Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: Karo Parisyan inks eight fight contract extension

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I love the UFC. I love Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, they’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and that’s the truth. I don’t kiss ass. I had a meeting with them last week they gave me a new, eight fight contract and the deal is I’m happy with them, I’m happy with the UFC. But the deal is there is a lot of stuff even Dana can’t control. He can’t control a lot of the referees. A lot of the judges are from the commission so he can’t control all those guys. It’s very hard. He can control [them] a certain amount of time [and] a certain amount of people, but not everything.

-UFC welterweight Karo Parisyan sounds off on RawVegas.tv about some of the questionable judging in recent memory including Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson at EliteXC ‘Primetime’ back on May 31. During the clip, “The Heat” reveals he’s just signed a new, eight fight contract extension with the UFC. Not only does that sound like an unusually large number for UFC contracts, it’s timing is a bit bizarre considering Parisyan’s recent admission of panic attacks and his last-minute exit from his fight against Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida at UFC 88 ‘Breakthrough’. Maybe the UFC loves him as much as he claims to love them.

LINK

Post #1   9/30/08 1:22:00AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I think we're gonna start to see a lot of longer fight contracts because of how the sport has grown, but also because of how ufc contracts are constructed. Take houston alexander's contract for example, he signed a 5 fight contract if i remember correctly... but he's also had 3 straight losses, and dana has been quoted saying something along the lines of if he loses to schafer, he's gotta find another promotion to fight in until he can fight at this level. Just because karo has 8 fights on this contract doesnt mean he'll be around for another 8 fights. There are probably several clauses in the contract saying that if karo loses 3 straight, he's out. I dont see karo even acknowledging that 3 straight losses is even a possibility for him. I personally never felt that karo deserved a title shot and hated him for trying to wait it out for a title shot... i personally never thought he was that exciting of a fighter either, but he's definately top10. If the ufc can hang onto a top10 welterweight for 8 more fights while he's winning... why not?

I suspect that we'll see more and more of these new contracts through the next year. It seems like the fighters who bitch and moan about the contracts will be more likely to sign something short term, but fighters who prefer competition over salary and are ok with what the ufc pay will probably sign something very similar to what karo has signed here. Koscheck will be a good example if i'm right

Post #2   9/30/08 1:41:53AM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i dont wanna see him fight 8 more times in the ufc

Post #3   9/30/08 2:44:28AM   

Matimus

Banned

Matimus Avatar

Career:341-187
Chips:
he says "control them" like Dana is Don King or something.

Post #4   9/30/08 6:40:40AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
He's Armenian...his English probably isn't tip-top shape. Cut the dude some slack. The UFC would be smart to hold onto any top 10 fighter in any division. Isn't the name of the game to have the best fighters in every weight division?

Post #5   9/30/08 8:23:44AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Whether you like his fighting style or call him boring. He is still a worthwhile opponent for any new comers. He is the perfect example of gatekeeper.

Post #6   9/30/08 10:41:12AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
he needs to lay off the donuts..

Post #7   9/30/08 10:50:45AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Whether you like his fighting style or call him boring. He is still a worthwhile opponent for any new comers. He is the perfect example of gatekeeper.

I completely disagree, respectfully of course, I feel he is too young and has yet to meet his potential to be considered a gatekeeper in my eyes. Maybe I just have a different interpretation of the word. To me a gatekeeper is someone like Chris Lytle, a person who has reached his peak, and is a measuring stick for the division's newcomers.
I think with Karo now having a training camp (or at least last I heard he still did) with Greg Jackson, he'll actually start training for fights and perhaps tap into his potential.
But I will say if he doesn't start improving soon, you'll be right, and he'll become a gatekeeper.

Last edited 9/30/08 10:51AM server time by gartface
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/30/08 10:50:55AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by brooklynbadass

he needs to lay off the donuts..

This has relevance how?

Post #9   9/30/08 11:06:52AM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
This news sucks i dont like Karo or Manny but i suppose its always fun to see them get knocked out ala Rob Emerson and Thiago

Post #10   9/30/08 2:04:11PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hodge

This news sucks i dont like Karo or Manny but i suppose its always fun to see them get knocked out ala Rob Emerson and Thiago

Why waste your time posting on this then?

Post #11   9/30/08 2:44:52PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i dont wanna see him fight 8 more times in the ufc

Why his fights are normally exciting.

Post #12   9/30/08 2:48:06PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I'm glad he'll stay with the UFC. I'm a fan of anyone with a Judo background. I don't think he's a gatekeeper either. The guy's 25 years old and he can continue to improve if he can just get over the mental hurdles. I will say his striking has significantly improved as of late.

Post #13   9/30/08 4:16:20PM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
Why in the world would they sign him to an 8 fight contract? WTF!!?

Why not 2 to 3 fights MAX, and spend the extra cash at getting some talent which is out there to bring in.... i.e Melendez, Thompson, Eddie Alvarez.... Diaz...ANYONE lol
Why would you even risk him getting another injury like he just did. To me this is poor business management.

Last edited 9/30/08 5:05PM server time by Rampageownedyou
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   9/30/08 5:03:41PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Why in the world would they sign him to an 8 fight contract? WTF!!?

Why not 2 to 3 fights MAX, and spend the extra cash at getting some talent which is out there to bring in.... i.e Melendez, Thompson, Eddie Alvarez.... Diaz...ANYONE lol
Why would you even risk him getting another injury like he just did. To me this is poor business management.

...You act like signing Karo to an 8 fight deal means that a multi billion dollar company can't sign other talent...It's a two way street, that talent has to want to come to the UFC.

Post #15   9/30/08 5:10:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2