Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Serra: Hughes Is A One Trick Pony

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Time to start stirring the pot again...in their never-ending war of words, Matt Serra has taken another shot at Matt Hughes, this time calling him a "one trick pony".

Article

Post #1   9/29/08 12:26:45PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Its not like serra brings a full toolbox to a fight. He rarely uses his Jits offensively, i mean i cant even remember the last time he won by sub. His striking is pretty sloppy, hes just got decent power. I think Hughes one trick is stronger than anything serra can bring to the table. Hes just going to get taken down, and grinded. He might use his Ground game to stop matt passing, but i think where going to see 3 rounds of hughes battering serra from serras guard.

Post #2   9/29/08 1:05:06PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Its not like serra brings a full toolbox to a fight. He rarely uses his Jits offensively, i mean i cant even remember the last time he won by sub. His striking is pretty sloppy, hes just got decent power. I think Hughes one trick is stronger than anything serra can bring to the table. Hes just going to get taken down, and grinded. He might use his Ground game to stop matt passing, but i think where going to see 3 rounds of hughes battering serra from serras guard.

true that, serra is a joke, just likes to talk to hear his own voice.

Post #3   9/29/08 1:29:03PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Serra's BJJ is top notch. In his fight against BJ ,it was pretty much BJ keeping it standing probably because he wanted nothing to do with Serra's ground game. I see Serra sweeping Hughes and gaining top position or submitting him from the bottom. He could possibly KO him too. Either way as long as no Judges sre involved Serra gets the W!

Post #4   9/29/08 1:30:55PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Aaronno9

And yet you have him ranked as a top 10 welterweight

Post #5   9/29/08 1:33:00PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by Aaronno9

Serra's BJJ is top notch. In his fight against BJ ,it was pretty much BJ keeping it standing probably because he wanted nothing to do with Serra's ground game. I see Serra sweeping Hughes and gaining top position or submitting him from the bottom. He could possibly KO him too. Either way as long as no Judges sre involved Serra gets the W!

I didnt say his Jits sucked or anything, im just saying its quite rare he uses it offensively. He hasn't had a submission victory in years.

Post #6   9/29/08 1:47:14PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Its true he is a one trick pony, but he is pretty damn good at that one trick.....I see Hughes on top of Serra the whole fight and winning a decision victory....

Post #7   9/29/08 1:55:31PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by Aaronno9

I didnt say his Jits sucked or anything, im just saying its quite rare he uses it offensively. He hasn't had a submission victory in years.

That is true but if you look at the caliber of opponents he has had they have great take down defense and/or great sub defense.At that point you have to stand and trade

Post #8   9/29/08 2:05:09PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
its not like serr asaid anything that wasnt true, matt has one thing and thats his wrestling, now people have learned takedown defense and other martial arts and they have passed hughes up. hopefully he retires after serra smashes him.

Post #9   9/29/08 2:06:30PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Time to start stirring the pot again...in their never-ending war of words, Matt Serra has taken another shot at Matt Hughes, this time calling him a "one trick pony".

Article

Better than only one significant victory in his career

Post #10   9/29/08 2:15:54PM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
I see the UFC cutting Serra pretty quick after he loses to Hughes

WAR HUGHES

Post #11   9/29/08 2:27:42PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Hughes = one fo the greatest if not the greatest champion in UFC history

Matt Serra = The only reason people are talking about him is because he won a reality show and got an auto title shot which everyone knows should have never happened and was a joke in its self.

Serra has good BJJ........that's it
Hughes has great wrestling and gnp.....that's about it

Hughes has very good sub defense so I really see no way Serra is going to win this fight.

Post #12   9/29/08 2:32:09PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Aaronno9

And yet you have him ranked as a top 10 welterweight

i'll give credit where it's due, he beat gsp and deserves to be up there. i think he's a joke of a person with his tough guy know it all attitude. and ya, i do think there are more than 10 guys in the ww division that can beat him, but he is two fights removed from a win over gsp so i can't rank him out of the top 10.

Post #13   9/29/08 3:10:44PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Matt Serra = The only reason people are talking about him is because he won a reality show and got an auto title shot which everyone knows should have never happened and was a joke in its self.

yes, it shouldn't have happened, yet he still won. so ask GSP if it was a joke

Post #14   9/29/08 4:07:16PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
im glad spike showed gsp vsa serra 2 on unleashed the other night

it's always good to see matt serra take 20somethin shots to the ribs.....

but i dislike hughes more, so i hope serra beats him

Post #15   9/29/08 5:03:29PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2