Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC starting to merge with UFC?

Print  
Is this good business for...
UFC 7 21%
WEC 1 3%
Both Organizations 17 50%
Neither benefit 5 15%
Bad For UFC 1 3%
Bad For WEC 3 9%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Career:1,656-1,095
Chips:
"We're going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights,” UFC President Dana White told The Canadian Press last April. “We'll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into the UFC. We're still trying to figure that out."

Is this really necessary? IMO, it makes sense to move the light-heavyweights over because the WEC's talent pool isn't that deep in the division. The only middleweight that makes sense is Paulo Filho, seeing as how he's one of the few middleweights in the world that could possible give [Anderson] Silva a run for his money..

WEC Gets Lighter

Post #1   9/29/08 12:00:03PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
It doesn't matter which organization its good for they are both Zuffa owned. Adding the best few fighters from WEC's bigger divisions can't hurt UFC though.

LHW - Brian Stann, Steven Cantwell (probably won't last long but Stann can sell)

Middleweight - Paulo Filho, Chael Sonnen (I think both are really good)

Welterweight - John Alessio, Carlos Condit (I LOVE Condit I think he'd be fine)

Post #2   9/29/08 12:41:00PM   

JasonSmolinski

Learning to Sprawl

JasonSmolinski Avatar

Career:159-90
Chips:
We need Brock Larson in the UFC. Although he'd be in a crowded division, he's always exciting to watch. He's like a mini Shane Carwin.

Post #3   9/29/08 12:57:12PM   

americanbulldog

Learning to Sprawl

americanbulldog Avatar

Career:302-170
Chips:
They better not take the ufc light weights and welters away. I doubt they will. I dont see why they are moving the lightweights and middle weights to the ufc. None of them stand a chance against the champs in the ufc. Brock did impress me but we will have to see how he does in the ufc.

Post #4   9/29/08 1:20:06PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
both orgs, now the wec can dish out some cash to some good featherweights and bantamweights, because we all know those are their two top divisons. plus the ufc getting fihlo is worth it alone, never mind them getting a couple of other decent fighters.

Post #5   9/29/08 1:31:36PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Its good for the ufc. I mean, the whole thing is supposed to be keeping the small guys in the wec and the big guys in the ufc, so the ufc takes all the top LHW and HW from the wec, but the wec isnt getting any WW or LW from the ufc. Not that im complaining about that or anything, WECs most exciting divisions arent used in the ufc anyways.

Post #6   9/29/08 1:49:35PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Neither are going to benefit. The LHWs that move to the UFC are oinly going to get over shadowed and there are only 2 good MWs over there. The rest will once again be overshadowed by Bisping Hendo Leben Anderson Okami and those guys. Now all they have done is taken exciting fights from an entire other broadcast that gets lots of viewers and scaled it down to less shows with less fighters and more of the same matchups. And the guys that have come from the WEC are going to get stuck on prelims with the eception of a few of them.

All in all Zuffa just limited TV time for fighters and is now probly going to provide 2 or 3 cards less a year.

Bad bad move Zuffa

Post #7   9/29/08 2:50:55PM   

DvS

MMA Regular

DvS Avatar

Career:32-26
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, Rob McCullough needs to move to the UFC, he would be a huge threat in the LW Div.

Last edited 9/29/08 3:59PM server time by dvs
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/29/08 3:58:07PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Regarding one of the above comments, the UFC won't let their WW and LW divisions go. However, the WEC will focus on the 145 and 135 pounders, which I think is smart. I believe only some of the heavier fighters will make the move to the UFC. Obviously Paulo Filho, possibly Chael Sonnen (especially if he beats Paulo in their upcoming fight ), and Stann is still young and is a money draw (although he better improve his conditioning and ground game), and Carlos Condit. There are others that may get a one or two fight contract such as Razor Rob and Jamie Varner, but the WEC may keep the LW division. They may even keep the WW division. It may be WW's and under.
It''s also possible that they may start a 125 pound division. There are some really small fighters who only fight at 135 because there isn't a smaller division. The WEC will keep these smaller divisions and build them up. They'll try and get more Japanese fighters as well. They'll, if not already, be the organization to watch for the Feather- and Flyweight divisions. Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber will continue to own their respective divisions, for the immediate future. I think this is a great idea. I don't want to see Paulo fight against fighters, besides Chael, that aren't on his level. He needs to be in the UFC, as does Condit. This will ensure that the weight classes, from 135 up to HW, and maybe one day SHW, will be the best competition and best collection of fighters in the world, in every division.

Post #9   9/29/08 5:12:53PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by DvS

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, Rob McCullough needs to move to the UFC, he would be a huge threat in the LW Div.

He would not be a huge threat at all imo. He would be destroyed by anyone of the top ten LW's in the UFC imo.

Post #10   9/29/08 5:15:04PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,496-929
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by DvS

He would not be a huge threat at all imo. He would be destroyed by anyone of the top ten LW's in the UFC imo.

i'd even go so far as to say anyone in the top 20 of the ufc's lw division would plow through him

Post #11   9/29/08 10:08:10PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Career:2,643-1,506
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by DvS

anybody with a decent ground game will destroy him

Post #12   9/29/08 11:55:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by mrkennedy

Posted by DvS

anybody with a decent ground game will destroy him

His takedown defense is pretty decent, but I agree that he wouldn't last long in the UFC.

For those hating on the LW division of the WEC, though.. keep in mind that Jamie Varner only lost by sub to Hermes Franca in the UFC after taking it to him for a good 3 and a half rounds. Nobody has mentioned Cowboy Cerrone, either. He's a 29-0 undefeated kickboxer and not a bad JJ practicioner, either.

Also, Chael Sonnen and Paulo Filho will be instant top 10 competitors once they get into the UFC. Carlos Condit's striking and sub game are on par with most anybody in the UFC's welterweight division, too. The WEC has some very game and skilled competitors. Anybody who thinks otherwise will soon be treated to the truth

Post #13   9/30/08 12:02:13AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,496-929
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
people keep bringing up carlos condit in the context that he is moving into the ufc
from my understanding it's only the mw and lhw divisions that are getting dissolved which keeps condit firmly planted in the wec

Post #14   9/30/08 12:06:44AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I think its good for both UFC and WEC. because UFC is gonna get a few good fighters. from the LHW and MW division. Stann, cantwell, Sonnan, Filho.
I dont think they will bring the WW up though. because I dont think the mw and LHW divisions do much for WEC. people watch WEC for the smaller weight classes. BW-WW.
However im not sure if stann will be very good in ufc. IMO he's one dominsional, he only has striking right now, and his striking didnt look very good in his last fight against Cantwell

Post #15   10/1/08 12:51:19AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2