Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo Slice unconcerned by Ken Shamrock’s ground experience

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If only one man is standing when the bout ends between Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Ken Shamrock, it's a good bet it will be Slice.

While critics have been quick to discount Slice's development as an all-around mixed martial artist, there's no denying that, on his feet, Slice has the ability and the power to knock out whomever is in front of him. And when all the pre-fight picks are in ahead of the Slice versus Shamrock main event match-up on EliteXC CBS Saturday Night Fights on Oct. 4, the consensus will undoubtedly be Slice by KO.

Conventional fight wisdom suggests that the only avenue for victory for Shamrock goes through a submission. The 44-year-old UFC Hall-of-Fame fighter hasn't stopped an opponent with strikes in more than eight years and has looked less and less at home in stand-up mode with each passing round. For Shamrock, the equalizer in the fight will be getting Slice horizontal, a position in which James Thompson was very effective against Slice back in May.

The Bas Rutten-trained fighter was out of his element while pinned on his back, up against the cage against Thompson. It showed a vulnerability that hadn't been exposed in his first two fights, but Slice prefers to look at the upside of overcoming that poor second round.

LINK

Post #1   9/28/08 12:48:09PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Kimbo should take this easily. Tho I'm hoping to gawd that Shammy breaks his leg. C'mon Ken, fight smart. Pull and Inoki and just go for leglocks. I know you got one last one in ya for the guy trained by someone you leg locked a number of times.

Post #2   9/28/08 2:01:32PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I got a feeling Shamrock is going to try and trade punches........Short painful night for Shamrock if that is the case.....He should shoot straight for the take down if he has any sense at all.....

Post #3   9/28/08 2:10:21PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Shammy will probably try and bang with Kimbo and end up on the wrong side of a KO highlight reel. If he can get control on the ground however (highly doubtful) a submission win (leg locks as above mentioned) could definately be there!

Post #4   9/28/08 2:21:43PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
This is Kimbo's fight to lose....

He should win, But I sher hope he loses by KO in the second round..

My thoughts on Kimbo goes like this...

You beat people up on the internet and got a reputation for being tough and having alot of punching power.... I say BS

If you had power and were tough you would have KO'd people in the first minute of the internet fights not in 5-10 min....

Your opponets were off the streets and your fights were bare knuckled any person that had power would have got the job done faster...

After Shammmy please fight the big guy with the mo-hawk so we all can witness power

Post #5   9/28/08 2:33:17PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

You beat people up on the internet and got a reputation for being tough and having alot of punching power.... I say BS

If you had power and were tough you would have KO'd people in the first minute of the internet fights not in 5-10 min....

Your opponets were off the streets and your fights were bare knuckled any person that had power would have got the job done faster...

After Shammmy please fight the big guy with the mo-hawk so we all can witness power

The guy was homeless at one point, he has to make money somehow. Just like with EliteXC hyping him, the people that video taped his street fights were the ones that hyped him up. The dude is very humble, and I'm tired of him getting ragged on for stuff beyond his control.

Post #6   9/28/08 2:46:24PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
to be honest with you i don't think he has much to worry about. shamrock is a shell of his former self, and you have to give kimbo some credit because he hits hard, even if he has a long long way to go in other areas. but shamrock is giving up too much size in this one, kimbo will knock him out, early.

Post #7   9/28/08 3:11:54PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by Kracker_Jap

The guy was homeless at one point, he has to make money somehow. Just like with EliteXC hyping him, the people that video taped his street fights were the ones that hyped him up. The dude is very humble, and I'm tired of him getting ragged on for stuff beyond his control.

Post #8   9/28/08 3:14:33PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
how did kimbo stay in shape if he was home less cuz he is jacked and you dont get that way overnight

Post #9   9/28/08 3:38:30PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
he was a hs football player when Hurricane andrew came in his sr. year and destroyed everything--his home, his hs, everything. So, he didn't get to get looked at his sr. year for college football and he was h omeless with his mama. Just like alot of poor folks after andrew.
He found out he could make some scratch as a bouncer so then some guy who was a bully and connected wtih drug dealers challenged him to a fight and the owners of the club that he bounced up put up the money for a backyard fight. He won and that was the beginning of the legend. Not like he was some thug going around beating people up like a barfighter. When he found out he could make some money doing it, he jumped at the chance. better money than bouncing..and you don't get paid off of youtube.

I'd do it to. Some hat on him for a lot of reasons.

Why? Don't know. Same reason some people hate on guys for having nicer cars than them I guess.

that answer your question?

Post #10   9/28/08 3:47:23PM   

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
I can understand all of the hate around him but I just don't understand why people can't just give him a chance. Right now he is getting cans for opponents but what if he actually can become a sound MMA fighter? All I am saying is give the guy some credit, I mean if you were in his position, wouldn't you do the same damm thing? I know I would so props for him to get where he is now, considering where he came from.

Post #11   9/28/08 5:08:39PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

he was a hs football player when Hurricane andrew came in his sr. year and destroyed everything--his home, his hs, everything. So, he didn't get to get looked at his sr. year for college football and he was h omeless with his mama. Just like alot of poor folks after andrew.
He found out he could make some scratch as a bouncer so then some guy who was a bully and connected wtih drug dealers challenged him to a fight and the owners of the club that he bounced up put up the money for a backyard fight. He won and that was the beginning of the legend. Not like he was some thug going around beating people up like a barfighter. When he found out he could make some money doing it, he jumped at the chance. better money than bouncing..and you don't get paid off of youtube.

I'd do it to. Some hat on him for a lot of reasons.

Why? Don't know. Same reason some people hate on guys for having nicer cars than them I guess.

that answer your question?

I didnt know all that, i always thought kimbo was just a general low life. Kinda changes my perspective of him a little.

Post #12   9/28/08 6:05:11PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Never thought he was a low life and the fact that he was homeless or he could be humble definatly does not change my opinion of how hard the guy hits

Last edited 9/28/08 6:56PM server time by Kracker_Jap
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   9/28/08 6:55:05PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
I never had a problem with Kimbo himself but as I always say, Shaw makes me and everyone else root for him to lose. "He's the best striker in the world", is the most ludicrous comment I've ever heard because he showed that his stand-up wasn't even that great against JT. I call BS on his knockout power too.

Post #14   9/28/08 8:13:55PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,109-1,190
Chips:
Best case scenario: They both come out strong swinging for the fences and catch each other with hard haymakers. Double KO.

Post #15   9/28/08 9:10:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2