Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BRIAN STANN TO TEAM JACKSON FOR UFC DEBUT

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
As Brian Stann readies himself for a move from the WEC to the UFC starting with a Dec. 10 UFC Fights for the Troops showdown against old foe Steve Cantwell, the former Marine will prepare for the bout with Greg Jackson and his team in New Mexico.

The fight between Stann and Cantwell will be the third in a series of fights that has seen each of them pick up a TKO victory.

Following a disappointing performance in his last fight, Stann had a conversation with Greg Jackson that convinced him the team in New Mexico was the best place for him to continue to learn and prepare for future fights.

“I met Greg here in Atlanta and we really just hit it off right off the bat. He was just really excited about the possibilities of training me and I think for any fighter that makes you excited,” Stann said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. “For me that was just flattering and motivational at the same time. So I went down there and I was down there for a while and I just really gelled. There’s no egos. It’s just a lot of good guys that are helping each other to our common goals, and I really, really liked it.”

LINK

Post #1   9/28/08 6:26:11AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well this takes away the possibility of half of his fights at LHW in the UFC

Post #2   9/28/08 11:28:38AM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
Im just really not sure that even a great camp can save him. I think his last fight exposed him for what he is, a fighter with great power who can throw simple boxing combos and is unable to adapt his gameplan mid-fight. Doesnt sound like a winning strategy in the UFC.

Post #3   9/28/08 1:03:45PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
No it doesn't, however up until his last fight with Cantwell he was still a fully active U.S. Marine.....for those of you who don't know this even our officers (which Stann was) work a good 10-12 hours a day during the week. That does not include field operations that can take up to a month at a time and occur constantly. Being a professional, and highly decorated, warrior like Stann was is not easy! To be a professional Marine takes a LOT of your time! So from one Jarhead to another "Semper Fi Sir!", and good luck!!

Post #4   9/28/08 1:38:12PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
This is good news for Stann, Jackson has shown the knowledge to be able to turn raw talent into top comtenders in the UFC

Post #5   9/28/08 1:53:20PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
stann doesn't know much on the ground, jackson could be the perfect fit for him to mold into a strong complete fighter.

Last edited 9/28/08 3:36PM server time by nickcuc547
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/28/08 3:13:05PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

Im just really not sure that even a great camp can save him. I think his last fight exposed him for what he is, a fighter with great power who can throw simple boxing combos and is unable to adapt his gameplan mid-fight. Doesnt sound like a winning strategy in the UFC.

Do you bother to research fighters before you talk about them? Stann is extremely inexperienced. For somone who only has 7 pro fights under his belt he's a solid fighter. Cantwell is extremely more experienced. In addition, Stan had no formal training under real solid coaches until about a month before that fight. He went 6-0 on PURE ATHLETIC ABILITY. A solid camp with good instruction will turn him into a legitimate competitor at 205.

Post #7   9/28/08 3:48:41PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

Well considering Jackson is known for providing his fighters with excellent gameplanning, this is probably the best place for him. He will get good work with the team and a gameplan. Can't see how that won't help.

Post #8   9/28/08 5:04:51PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
awsome step in the right direction for stann, war stann

Post #9   9/28/08 5:15:04PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

The guy is full of raw talent with a good fight camp he should be a legit fighter......I don't know what you think your talking about, but the dude has no formal training and was good enough to go 7-0 in the beginning of his career.......To me that is the sign of a true contender....

Post #10   9/28/08 5:17:35PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Jackson is a GREAT coach. He'll take Stann's areas of weakness, conditioning and his ground game, and improve them ten-fold. We should definately see some of these improvements in December, but it will take a little longer for any substantial difference.
Everyone keeps forgetting how young Stann is. He can still be molded into a great fighter and Jackson is the perfect person for the job. He'll be around other great LHW's such as Rashad and Jardine, and get to work with others like GSP. This is a great move for Stann and if he improves his conditioning, I believe he'll take fight number 3 against Steve Cantwell.

Post #11   9/29/08 5:37:32PM