Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lightweight MMA weekly ranking missing sean sherk

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i know sherk has been injured for a while so unable to fight but how can they completely drop him from the 10 top ranking, is it just me or is this madness

and not only that, there isn't a single other ufc lightweight in it...is the ufc lightweight division that bad

Post #1   3/6/07 7:08:20PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
I agree 100%

Post #2   3/6/07 7:11:35PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I find it funny how Sherk was Rated #5 WW and then dropped to a #9 LW. Its very stupid. He has to be one of the strongest guys in the divison physically speaking. The guy is a monster. I think he could beat Gomi ina flash by TKO.
Not to mention he has a win over Diaz fairly recently. I think that should count for something.
Look at his record he only loses when he gets overpowered by the likes of GSP and Hughes ( the 2 biggest and strongest WW in the world).

Sherk should be a top 5 LW in a flash. I dont understand how people cannot consider him there.

Post #3   3/6/07 7:11:53PM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:
The ufc have just brought the lightweight division back. Sean Sherk may be the champ but come on he only beat Kenny Florian. How should that propell him into the top ten.
His record at WW shouldn't factor in either, it only counts in that division. Give it time wait until after the franca fight, see if he can get past the BJ's of this world. If he can he'll shoot up the rankings

Post #4   3/6/07 8:45:00PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Well since Diaz was barely top 10 at welterweight ,and beat a buy most had top 2 at lightweight, it makes sense to me that he should be highly ranked at lightweight. I understand the arguments about Sherk only having one fight at lightweight but I'm ranking him near the top personally. he is the champ of one of one of the big 2. When BJ starts winning there I will probably think he is #1. Since he's not I decided to leave him off after a lot of thinking. Still, I wish some of Japan's more established lightweights came over and fought him so we could end the specualtion and know for sure. I still think Aoki is #1 right now.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   3/6/07 8:57:08PM   

Huckit

MMA Regular

Huckit Avatar

Career:36-30
Chips:
sherk is a ball of muscle he will take gomi down and pound him out

Post #6   3/6/07 8:58:09PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Well since Diaz was barely top 10 at welterweight ,and beat a buy most had top 2 at lightweight, it makes sense to me that he should be highly ranked at lightweight. I understand the arguments about Sherk only having one fight at lightweight but I'm ranking him near the top personally. he is the champ of one of one of the big 2. When BJ starts winning there I will probably think he is #1. Since he's not I decided to leave him off after a lot of thinking. Still, I wish some of Japan's more established lightweights came over and fought him so we could end the specualtion and know for sure. I still think Aoki is #1 right now.

agreed, and although i havn't seen much of melendez (neither has the world IMO) i'd like to rank him very high, probably better than sherk.

Post #7   3/6/07 9:12:02PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I 've seen 6 Melendez fight's and am always impressed by his pace. If you go to youtube, or daily motion you might be able to find some more, Hope that helps

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #8   3/6/07 9:17:15PM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think to place Sherk high is to give the lightweight title more prestige than it deserves at this moment. i think it should be allowed to develop and maybe in the next 2 or 3 fights we can assess his position. i like Sherk, he's tough as hell and he may well run through his competition, but i'm not psychic so i'll wait and see if it actually happens before i'll call him a dominant lightweight.

I don't think beating diaz should be a factor. Same as Hendo's ranking at MW shouldn't be affected by his win over wand. just my opinion.

but yeah i'd love to see the likes of Sakurai in the ufc right now.

Post #9   3/6/07 9:33:44PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Heh, no worries... he's number 1 on my list.

That reminds me... I was thinking about how I like this sites rankings, but thought to myself its a shame it's like all the others, ending at number 10. Maybe since we have such a good resource (the actual fans) MMAPlayground should have top 25 rankings instead of top ten. Since the sport is growing and not every fighter is ever going to be number 1 or even crack the 10 we can still see where they stand. Just a thought.

Post #10   3/6/07 9:34:22PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Eh I don't think Aoki is #1..if anyone it should be Mach.

Post #11   3/6/07 9:35:06PM   

Great-Ajax

Learning to Sprawl

Great-Ajax Avatar

Career:331-248
Camp: Team Homewrecks
Chips:
If sherk beat only beat gomi he'd be ranked in the top five, if diaz only beat kenblow he would not be ranked. it's not that hard to figure out.

Post #12   3/6/07 9:54:23PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
gomi, when in shape is the best, sherk belongs around bottom of top 10

Post #13   3/6/07 10:52:43PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Yeah, I also believe that Sherk is very underrated in the lightweight division.

This guy is physically dominating. He is pretty one-dimensional, but I do not think that anyone in the lightweight division (aside from Penn now, if he remains a lightweight) can consistently stuff his takedowns and prevent him from gnp.

It just boggles the mind why he was ranked so low. I see Sherk as a lesser version of Hughes IMO.

Post #14   3/6/07 11:13:17PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMA

Yeah, I also believe that Sherk is very underrated in the lightweight division.

This guy is physically dominating. He is pretty one-dimensional, but I do not think that anyone in the lightweight division (aside from Penn now, if he remains a lightweight) can consistently stuff his takedowns and prevent him from gnp.

It just boggles the mind why he was ranked so low. I see Sherk as a lesser version of Hughes IMO.

I think the Hughes comparison is an apt one. He also doesn't t suffer delusions of grandeur about his standup the way Hughes does. His boxing is very crisp and he always keeps his hands up, but it's just a tool to get him close enough for the takedown IMO. I love Hughes, but I think Sherk actually fight's smarter. They are similiar in wrestlng ability, with Hughes having the sub edge, and Sherk having the standup edge . At least that's how I see it. I do wish Sherk used his elbows a little more , but his short arms limit him, they also make him harder to sub though. I would favor Sherk in a fight in the octagon over any lightweight but Penn and Aoki.

The Iron Code

Post #15   3/7/07 4:02:55AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2