Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Is free agency in the future for Gilbert Melendez?

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez is ready to get back to the top of his weight class, but with only one fight left on his current contract, he is welcoming his upcoming free agency.

Melendez has had a very successful career to this point, but the California based fighter has now dropped two out of his last three fights and he’s looking to get the best option for his future.

“I have one fight left with Strikeforce. I really do like Strikeforce, I think they’re a great organization and they took care of me,” Melendez told MMAWeekly.com “But I have other goals too, other dreams. I do want to get my payback against Josh (Thomson) and (Mitsuhiro) Ishida, that’s awesome that they’re there too, but I’m just going to make sure I do really good on my next fight and then I’m going to weigh out all my options.

“It’s going to feel good to be a free agent after this fight and see what I can do.”

The next Strikeforce show is set for Nov. 21, but Melendez says it is up in the air if he will end up on that card or not.

Link

Last edited 9/26/08 7:22AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   9/26/08 7:01:03AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,296-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think he needs to go to the ufc
great fight vs him and bj penn or roger huerta

Post #2   9/26/08 9:32:59AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
penn would tool him, but i think gil would take huerta and many other lw. he would be a great addition, but i don't see him getting the belt.

Post #3   9/26/08 9:45:54AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Yes great addition to the UFC but not an instant chapion by far he has shown to many chinks in the armor...... I see him being right above the fighter that Guida was when he came in

Post #4   9/26/08 11:09:15AM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Yes great addition to the UFC but not an instant chapion by far he has shown to many chinks in the armor...... I see him being right above the fighter that Guida was when he came in

I agree. While I like Gilbert, I also realize that he could very well hump and dump his way to many boring decisions inside the Octagon.

Post #5   9/26/08 4:45:24PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He has a lot of similarities to Guida with less stamina but bigger and stronger. I recognize him as top lightweight, probably on the fringe of the top ten. I have to say though he's not the most exciting fighter to watch. If you like watching wrestlers take people down and keep position then cool, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited 9/27/08 12:11AM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/27/08 12:11:02AM