Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

HDNet Emerges as IFL Buyer

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mark Cuban’s HDNet channel has emerged as the frontrunner for all of the remaining assets of the International Fight League, which filed for bankruptcy Sept. 15.

Forms were filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting that the publicly owned IFL be given permission to sell its remaining assets to the network. The forms also requested that HDNet be given every consideration as a potential buyer as the IFL’s assets go to the auction block through Oct. 23.

HDNet has offered a buying price of $650,000 for all intellectual property, including the IFL’s film, video and image library; its five-roped competition ring and team trademarks; and proprietary rights, including its Web site. The proposed transaction also includes any remaining broadcast contracts the IFL acquired during its two-year tenure, which includes a deal with Fox Sports Network.

HDNet Fights broadcasts a multitude of MMA events, including Strikeforce, Affliction and Japan's Dream promotion. The company’s CEO, Andrew Simon, was not immediately available for comment.

Link

Post #1   9/25/08 7:10:57PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
This doesn't surprise me. We will probably see a lot of IFL replays on HDnet now.

Post #2   9/25/08 7:27:16PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

This doesn't surprise me. We will probably see a lot of IFL replays on HDnet now.

True.

Post #3   9/25/08 7:31:56PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Finally Mark Cuban starts buying up some mma. I'd like to see him get involved with Dream...but that will never happen

Post #4   9/25/08 7:36:32PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,501-1,553
Camp: country KO
Chips:
do you guys think he'll try to resurect the org? seems like it would be kinda hard since they have no fighters left.

Post #5   9/25/08 7:45:48PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

do you guys think he'll try to resurect the org? seems like it would be kinda hard since they have no fighters left.

No. Reason he bought was most likely to get the rights to their Video Library so he can use it on HDnet. I see no reason why he would even try resurrect it, just makes no sense.

Post #6   9/25/08 8:27:42PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by machodog76

No. Reason he bought was most likely to get the rights to their Video Library so he can use it on HDnet. I see no reason why he would even try resurrect it, just makes no sense.

True. He'll show the video library on HDnet and probably sell the format on.......

Post #7   9/25/08 11:22:43PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
It's intersting. Cuban is a very smart businessman and he places confidence in his guys who are running this end of the business. 1/2 a mill seems like kind of a bargain for some of those rights.

THere are a LOT of fighters that are floating around looking for promotions and he is still thinking about how and what he will do for HDNet fights as a promotion since he only did one show.

RIght now he's making a lot of relationships with other smaller orgs and TV deals with these smaller organizations. I love it since I get to watch tons of fights for free.

In terms of what fighters want, I think the more viable financially solid organizations that there are out there, the better. Fighters are always looking for 2-3 fight deals so that they can get some steady work and exposure. The dissapearance of tsome of the orgs makes it harder to find a place to "break out." Remember, usually Dana pulls from these smaller org's so it's important that there is a healthy group of minor league organizations that have really good talent and developing talent. If not, there are going to be big dropoffs.

Post #8   9/26/08 12:47:58AM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
Well I wouldn't mind watching the repeat of the IFL elimination tournament from almost 5 years ago which contained Forrest, Babalu, and others competing in it. It would be entertaining if Cuban resurrected the IFL as an elimination tournament again rather than a team based competition. But I guess the law probably wouldn't allow it.

Post #9   9/26/08 1:12:38AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Mayo

Well I wouldn't mind watching the repeat of the IFL elimination tournament from almost 5 years ago which contained Forrest, Babalu, and others competing in it. It would be entertaining if Cuban resurrected the IFL as an elimination tournament again rather than a team based competition. But I guess the law probably wouldn't allow it.

that would up to the state athletic competitions.. though there are ways around it.. they could hold the competitions in japan and such and brodcast them live in the US.. or on PPV or some such. would be a good idea... We need to toughen up as a country.. were letting pansies take charge and peace loving beatnicks.. we need hard core americans in power who under stand the value of competition and what it means for this country...

Post #10   9/26/08 10:18:17AM