Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

My thoughts on Rampage

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I wouldn't go as far as saying Rampage is ducking Chuck. Granted, Rampage could get the title shot and fight Chuck in his very next fight if he would be willing. On the Countdown to UFC 68 on SpikeTV when Dana was talking about Matt Hughes, he stated that Hughes doesn't need any fights before being ready for another title shot. He said that saying Hughes needs some warm up fights is like saying Rampage needs some more warmup fights before he fights Chuck, insinuating that he didn't. So seeing as Rampage is not willing to take the fight right now, I could see how some people would draw the conclusion that he is ducking Chuck.

However, there are a couple different things that could be going on here. Rampage could be milking for the money. Not that he neccesarily thinks he is gonna lose to Chuck, but if he comes in and happens to lose to Chuck directly after making his first appearance in the UFC, it would probably diminish his value. If i'm correct, he only has one fight left on his current contract. If he uses it on Chuck and loses, his next contract negotiations are gonna be undoubtedly lower. If he uses it on a descent fighter and gets an impressive win, his next contract is still gonna be pretty good, maybe better than the last. Then again if he took the fight with Chuck for his next and won, then his next contract is undoubtedly gonna be better also. But he's obviously chosen the safer route.

I can actually see him ending up the same way Couture did, in the LHW division atleast. Randy won the first match, then Chuck came back and won the re-match and rubber match. Pretty much made Couture's win in the first fight look like a fluke. Not that it was a fluke, but the conclusion could be drawn on paper. I'm not saying he would retire or anything, i'm just saying it'd be kind of the same situation. Seeing as he's not as old as Couture, he'd pretty much be in the same boat as Tito and Babalu if it played out like that. Chuck having two wins over him and not having another title shot coming any time soon.

Another obvious possibility is that Rampage just knows he needs more time to prepare himself mentally and physically for a fighter the caliber of Chuck Liddell. Chuck is on a roll right now and has shown no signs of slowing down. If you're gonna get in the cage with him right now, you better be well prepared and Rampage may be wanting to make the most out of this opportunity. Although, IMO this possibility doesn't make that much since they have already fought once before and they have both been fighting with the same consistency. Rampage has one fight in 07, two fights in 06, and three fights in 05. Chuck has three fights in 06 and two fights in 05. So it isn't like we should be using the ring rust excuse for one or the other.

IMO, the getting used to the cage excuse should be thrown out. I'm well aware that there is a major difference between fighting in a cage and a ring. However, Rampage is not unfamiliar with the cage. He has fought in a cage before coming to UFC and his last two fights have been inside the cage. I realize he has many more fights in a ring than in a cage, I just see this excuse as bs.

I respect Rampage and think he is one of the best LHW in the world right now. I guess overall, i'm just questioning his self confidence. I've always looked at Rampage as the guy with a shit load of confidence and swagger and heart. Seemed like the type of guy that would take any fight just to prove he's the best. Yet here he is not taking the fight that everybody wants to see because he is not ready. ? Just thought i'd share my thought.

Post #1   3/6/07 2:00:26PM   

seeger1

Learning to Sprawl

seeger1 Avatar

Career:40-29
Camp: Demolition Den
Chips:
I don't think Rampage deserves a shot at Chuck at the moment.Ever since his last Fight with The Axe Murderer,he doesn't look the same fighter.His heart doesn't appear to be there anymore.His fights have been deplorable.The only reason i want to see that fight,is to see Chuck do the guy a favor and knock him out.Someone needs to wake the old Rampage up.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #2   3/6/07 3:10:49PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
I believe Rampage signed a 3 fight contract so he has 2 fights left. I believe Dana wants Rampage to have to fights before facing Chuck for a couple reasons...

1) Many UFC fans never watch Pride and have never heard of Rampage so through the first 2 fights the fans will get to know him and then the Chuck fight will be a lot more hyped and get more viewership = more revenue. (same idea as what's happening with CroCop)

2) It is strategic to have the last fight of the contract be a significant fight because then a) If Rampage loses to Chuck then Dana can get rid of Rampage or b) If Rampage beats Chuck then Dana can own Rampage and get him to sign a multi-fight contract.

Post #3   3/6/07 4:28:32PM   

The_Crippler

Learning to Sprawl

The_Crippler Avatar

Career:155-77
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
nah giving rampage his title fight now is real bad for rampage when he himself admitted he wasnt ready!

it seems theyre tryin to screw rampage over cause not only will he still have jitters for performing for his second time in the octagon but now this time its for the LHW championship.......WAR RAMPAGE.....but comon dana coulda waited one more fight

Post #4   3/6/07 4:42:34PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
Very good points made!

We will see what happens I guess.

Post #5   3/6/07 4:58:51PM   

wkm311

MMA Regular

wkm311 Avatar

Career:66-37
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
I think he just wants to warm up first. I also think his confidence in his ability is questionable, because the old Rampage would have taken it for his first fight. I dont think Dana should make him fight before he's ready though, because the more confident Rampage is the better the fight will be...

Post #6   3/6/07 5:14:15PM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:
Rampage has no say in who he will fight or when. If Joe Silva makes the match he'll have to accept it. In an ideal world he should be given another fight to build his confidence and reputation but what happens if he loses. Dana has already seen one dream match killed by the hands of Dan Henderson, he might feel he should cash in on rampage while he still can.

Post #7   3/6/07 5:53:06PM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,665-948
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
i believe the win over chuck gives rampage the right to rematch anytime both are willing...and even if rampage isnt...they should have the fight soon...you know dana wants chuck to ko him, so then the 3 rd fight will be a big money fight.

Post #8   3/6/07 5:56:32PM   

poll77

MMA Regular

poll77 Avatar

Career:29-23
Camp: Team Havoc
Chips:
i think you are right about Rampage's financial situation. he may want to win two more fights before chuck just to ensure that he gets another good contract, and then fight chuck. because as rampage says "its all about the money" or something similar. if he really wanted to cash in he would fight chuck on this contract and beat him, then he could get a larger contract, but i am also thinking that he is not really confident that he will beat chuck again.

Post #9   3/6/07 6:18:16PM   

wkm311

MMA Regular

wkm311 Avatar

Career:66-37
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:

Posted by redmist

Rampage has no say in who he will fight or when. If Joe Silva makes the match he'll have to accept it. In an ideal world he should be given another fight to build his confidence and reputation but what happens if he loses. Dana has already seen one dream match killed by the hands of Dan Henderson, he might feel he should cash in on rampage while he still can.

That is a very good point...If Dana gives him another fight before Chuck and he loses, thats gonna take some of the fire out of the Chuck vs Rampage 2.

Post #10   3/6/07 6:32:08PM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Career:200-146
Camp: duXup
Chips:
There is definetly more to this than just putting the two in an octagon together. The promoter controls the fights the fighters just fight...in this case Dana. I think some good points were made...One yeah Rampage is in it for the money they all are...but more importantly why not build a fan base with the UFC before just jumping in the ring with Chuck...it only makes sense...with that being said my wager is on Rampage when they fight

Post #11   3/6/07 6:37:59PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
in an interview dana just conducted he said that chuck was really sick and has been sick for a long time. he suggested that he see a doctor , he also expressed disgust at how chuck was being handled. chuck gave an interview and he looked really stoned and dana seemed irate about it. i think you made some legit points about rampage, all are possible except i dont think he thinks he will lose . he owned chuck in the first fight standing and on the ground. thats alot different than fighting wandy who beat him the first time. i think if rampage is the one that is stalling its about money.

Last edited 3/6/07 10:11PM server time by jocksmall
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/6/07 10:09:30PM   

jaba

MMA Regular

jaba Avatar

Career:18-18
Camp: Team Big Guns
Chips:
Christianity has killed rampage

Post #13   3/6/07 10:20:57PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
after rampage beats his next opponent he will give chuck a run for his money

Post #14   3/6/07 10:50:21PM   

allmotormark

MMA Regular

allmotormark Avatar

Career:1,035-549
Chips:
i duno his last fight wasn't impressive against eastman , and really eastman is not a contender by any means...i am a rampage fan but realisticly his last fight on his contract will be against chuck if he wins his next match....but i just want someone to put up a good fight against chuck not necesarily win , but i'd like to see a good fight with chuck ...you know what i mean a real brawl....but it seems that chuck never lets that happen...

Post #15   3/7/07 3:00:25AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3