Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jason MacDonald signs new four-fight deal with UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I'm hesitant to use the term gatekeeper because he's been really close to beating top guys but just always seems to come up short. He may be 33 but he still seems to be constantly improving. Maybe he's just one of those late bloomers. I think eventually he will get over the hump and ake out some top guys.

Either way good signing. Any fight he's in you know it's going to be competetive.

Post #16   9/19/08 11:25:45PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by saemskin

Marquardt, Maia, Bisping, and MacDonald are my top 4 dudes below Anderson, and I would love to see any combination of the 4 of them fighting. At some point in the future, one of them has *got* to defeat the guy.

He simply cannot win forever, can he?
I'm not including Hendo and Okami because I dont like their fighting styles and I really dont think either of them will ever hold the MW belt in the UFC.

really? you mean you don't think Hendo can ever be the MW champion? because if you do you obviously did not watch the first round of his fight with Anderson. if anyone in the MW division is going to beat Anderson Silva it is going to be Dan Henderson. Maia is one of the most talented JJ fighters to ever grace the UFC and is one of my favorite fighters, but Palhares would absolutely tool him. as for Bisping, i would wait until after his fight with Leben to put him ahead of MacDonald.

and you can't just not include two fighters because you don't like the way they fight. it just doesn't make sense to me.

It's my opinion. Dont tell me I didnt see this or that or I'm wrong, because I think I know what I think. At least I think I do.

Those are my predictions.
I think Maia and Marquardt would both beat Palhares.

Last edited 9/19/08 11:37PM server time by saemskin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   9/19/08 11:35:43PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by saemskin

Posted by saemskin

Marquardt, Maia, Bisping, and MacDonald are my top 4 dudes below Anderson, and I would love to see any combination of the 4 of them fighting. At some point in the future, one of them has *got* to defeat the guy.

I'm not including Hendo and Okami because I dont like their fighting styles and I really dont think either of them will ever hold the MW belt in the UFC.

really? you mean you don't think Hendo can ever be the MW champion? because if you do you obviously did not watch the first round of his fight with Anderson. if anyone in the MW division is going to beat Anderson Silva it is going to be Dan Henderson. Maia is one of the most talented JJ fighters to ever grace the UFC and is one of my favorite fighters, but Palhares would absolutely tool him. as for Bisping, i would wait until after his fight with Leben to put him ahead of MacDonald.

and you can't just not include two fighters because you don't like the way they fight. it just doesn't make sense to me.

It's my opinion. Dont tell me I didnt see this or that or I'm wrong, because I think I know what I think. At least I think I do.

i was just giving a differing opinion. and Maia wouldn't have a prayer against Palhares, you can trust me on that one. Maia is still very timind with his JJ as illustrated in the MacDonald fight were he refused to go for the arm triangle Jason left out there that a 2 year old could have seen. Maia is improving, yes, and if he continues to work with Wandy his stand-up will be decent, but the fact remains that his style of JJ isn't as adaptable to MMA as Palhares' is. trust me, i have watched both of these guys before they even started MMA. Palahres would manhandle Maia.

Last edited 9/20/08 12:16AM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   9/20/08 12:15:35AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by saemskin

Posted by saemskin

i was just giving a differing opinion. and Maia wouldn't have a prayer against Palhares, you can trust me on that one. Maia is still very timind with his JJ as illustrated in the MacDonald fight were he refused to go for the arm triangle Jason left out there that a 2 year old could have seen. Maia is improving, yes, and if he continues to work with Wandy his stand-up will be decent, but the fact remains that his style of JJ isn't as adaptable to MMA as Palhares' is. trust me, i have watched both of these guys before they even started MMA. Palahres would manhandle Maia.

I couldn't disagree more. Maia's BJJ is just about the best their is. Neither fighter really uses strikes to set up their subs. It's pretty much straight jitzu and Palhares has a really great ground game but at the same level as Maia...not even close. Palhares is not going to manhandle Maia on the ground. He's certainly not going to catch him in a leg lock either.

Post #19   9/20/08 1:21:02AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Plus 'Paul harris' has a granite chin (as shown against Hendo).

He would beat Maia on a decision, with neither fighter being able to KO or suub the other.

Post #20   9/20/08 1:32:17AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
I say we petition Joel Silva to match Palhares and Maia
What potential that battle has.

Post #21   9/20/08 1:35:52AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
MacDonald needs to work on his stand-up and game plans a little more before he can become a force. His BJJ is top in the division. I think improved stand-up would allow him to use his height and reach a lot more effectively.

I think his game plan should be frustrate the guy with his reach standing up until the guy gets overly aggressive and tries to grapple, then it's oh snap Jason got me in a choke.
The main thing I see holding Jason back is that he wants to rely on his BJJ. He has sub-par take downs (IMO) and can waste a lot of energy trying to take down a strong opponent. He doesn't follow (or create) good game plans (look at his fights against Franklin and Maia).

Palhares, he has potential to be a force in the division, but his height is going to hurt him against the 6 foot (and taller) strikers in the division. I mean, even Henderson tooled him in stand-up.

Post #22   9/20/08 9:08:33AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I couldn't disagree more. Maia's BJJ is just about the best their is. Neither fighter really uses strikes to set up their subs. It's pretty much straight jitzu and Palhares has a really great ground game but at the same level as Maia...not even close. Palhares is not going to manhandle Maia on the ground. He's certainly not going to catch him in a leg lock either.

i have watched both of these men in their JJ careers. Maia has an edge on the ground, yes, but it won't go there
Palahares has the TD ability to put the fight wherever he wants it and the composure on the feet to absolutely embarrass Maia. Maia looks incredibly sloppy on the feet and his gas tank is less than impressive. he would never be able to take Palhares to the ground and imo Palhares would batter him with his arsenal of kicks and powerful hands. Maia wouldn't even necessarily win the ground battle, as i think Palhares has better positional JJ, and whenever two high level JJ fighters go at it the one with the better positional JJ usually wins on the scorecard.

Post #23   9/20/08 10:51:07AM   

metaray

Learning to Sprawl

Career:12-5
Chips:
Glad to see Mcdonald will be around for a while. We need more canadians :)

Post #24   10/12/08 2:12:48PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2