Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate And Nick Diaz Launch Into Tirade At UFC Fight Night Presser

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by mikevolz

Steroids, Shootings, Rapes, Drugs, Dog Fighting,

like sean sherk? like lee murray? like devin cole? like melvin guillard?

our sport is not above these things.

Wasn't my point. My point was... A sport can go on unhindered by the negative effects incidents like these might cause. So, thank you for helping prove my point.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #46   9/19/08 10:31:24PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xxMALICExx

I agree, because that is how I was raised. And none of the following is directed towards you.

But as you grow up you develop traits. And nowadays, the words you use is just as much a representation of who you are and where you come form, as the way you dress, eat, walk, talk, act, think, and any other behaviour.

Some people may think it is disrespectful and abnormal. But to them, it is just who they are. And to be normal, is to be yourself.

To look down on them because they act different, is a little bit hypocritical.

I disagree. I'm a foul mouthed fool outside of work. But I know when to keep my mouth shut and what SHOULD be said when I'm on the clock.

Its just how things are in Stockton, I live in Suckramento so we see their trash get blown up here occasionally, people in this area have this thing about acting hard 24/7. The other night I was leaving a parking lot when all of a sudden this car pulls up next to me saying to get out of their way (note they're next to me, I'm not in anyone's way) and then as I keep driving they speed after me throw something at my car and try to follow me for a while. I've never seen them before, had no idea who they were, or what provoked things, when in fact thats the thing about this area, you don't have to provoke anything to get something dished out to you.

Its just how people are, I pretty much narrowed every incident like that to three reasons. Either you're ****** up off something, crazy, or stupid. I'm pretty sure Nate Diaz used to do meth or something too because Suckramento is also the Meth capitol of the world and you can tell what kind of people do it by different things, their eyes, their mannerisms, their body odor, their speech, and Nate certainly pops up on the radar as someone who probably had a meth problem before. If Nick did meth before he could have fooled me but if Nate told me he did meth I would say "no shit"

you havent been to bakersfield before have you?
Sac has the same problems the bay area does, but its not the meth capitol of even california. The rural areas are of cali are much worse.

Post #47   9/20/08 2:10:58AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xxMALICExx

Me Too!! But who are they hurting by acting the way they do?

The reputation of both the UFC and MMA in general.

God damnit this is going to keep bugging me but how the hell is Kimbo 9-0 and why are you making it look like its his MMA record with kos and subs, he clearly lost to Gannon in a fight that made it look like Kimbo ***** his pants at the thought of versatility and MMA, his crew pretty much banned the idea of MMA and made it into a bare knuckle boxing match instead of a real fight.

ROFL. His avatar is clearly a joke. 5+3 = 9 should be the first indication of that, and the fact that he has no subs and nowhere near 8(9) fights should be the next.

He lost a bet, so someone made a funny avatar that he has to keep for a certain period of time. People make avatar bets on these forums all of the time.

Kimbos first win was by sub actaully, and so was his first amatuer fight against the boxer if you count that.

Post #48   9/20/08 2:13:51AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mikevolz

Steroids, Shootings, Rapes, Drugs, Dog Fighting,

like sean sherk? like lee murray? like devin cole? like melvin guillard?

our sport is not above these things.

Didnt Murray pull off the bank heist without firing a bullet?

Post #49   9/20/08 2:17:10AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
well I wasn't counting the mercer fight and I don't really consider the cantrell fight a "submission" although I guess that's what it would technically be listed as. Submission due to strikes should really just be considered a TKO IMO, but you're correct it is considered a submission.

Post #50   9/20/08 2:37:07AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

well I wasn't counting the mercer fight and I don't really consider the cantrell fight a "submission" although I guess that's what it would technically be listed as. Submission due to strikes should really just be considered a TKO IMO, but you're correct it is considered a submission.

, but alas the mods did not budge on this issue lol

Post #51   9/20/08 2:48:14AM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,242-661
Chips:
the diaz bros. are both terrific fighters. with that said, all the grade school antics they participate in are more than enough to make me want to see the day when some fighter(s) completely obliterates them.

Post #52   9/20/08 5:49:16AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Sooner or later Nick has to grow up. This isn't the first time he's acted immature and I know it won't be his last. Off the top of my head you had the incident with Riggs at the hospital. I have seen him give the crowd the finger.

When I watch the Diaz brothers, Kimbo flashing gang signs at the end of his interview on CBS, or the posse that came into the ring with Bret Rogers after he won and they are danced, it sets the sport back. Gary Shaw brought his boxing mentality into EliteXC and we all see what their production is about. Nick has to be a role model for his little brother. To show him how to act.

This sport has evolved so far. It's getting covered by more and more media outlets and this stuff will only give it's haters more ammunition. MMA could became part of the main stream sport scene, i.e. the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, NHL and MLB. The NBA had their dark days in the 70's with all those players doing cocaine. But Magic and Bird came along and picked the sport up. The NFL fought to become #1 and it didn't have to do with knuckleheads. NASCAR had to shake off the "dumb redneck" mantra to get where it's at. But it's a long battle and when you act like a jerk at press conferences where the media can pick up on it, it will only hurt the sport.

I didn't want MMA to go mainstream. I wanted it to me my little secret around where I live. I didn't want people to jump on the bandwagon. I was there from the get. But the fighters deserve all the money they can get and sponsership is one of the biggest things. When fighters continue to act like jerks, they will bail. Do you want your brand associated with jerks?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #53   9/20/08 8:33:28AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead
The NBA had their dark days in the 70's with all those players doing cocaine. But Magic and Bird came along and picked the sport up. The NFL fought to become #1 and it didn't have to do with knuckleheads. NASCAR had to shake off the "dumb redneck" mantra to get where it's at. But it's a long battle and when you act like a jerk at press conferences where the media can pick up on it, it will only hurt the sport.

So what has changed? Have you ever been to a NASCAR event. The majority of the crowd are extremely proud to be rednecks. Drivers too. So they have changed nothing.

Anytime a professional athlete breaks the law, it stays in the media for months. One player, causing more negative exposure, than the UFC has received in a sum of years. Vick for example. Didn't hurt the NFL 1 bit. There are way more good players than bad players. If anyone watches mma, they will realize this.

Post #54   9/20/08 9:34:22AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

Vick for example. Didn't hurt the NFL 1 bit. There are way more good players than bad players. If anyone watches mma, they will realize this.

You're forgetting one thing. American football is recognized as a sport by pretty much every American, MMA is not.

Combat arts will always have to deal with the meat head, criminal, thug, flammable, (all/mostly negative) stigma of its fighters. Whereas something like football has a wide spectrum of player images from the All-American poster boy to the typical jock to the Vicks (and as you said, less so on the bad part).

What's unfortunate about the sport is that a lot of attention (in more mainstream media, but even MMA media) is given to the Nick Diaz antics and the fighters that have a meltdown or some lawsuit, rather than the GSPs. I mean, how many times do you see GSP in the headlines? Hardly ever, yet he is a perfect example of what an MMA poster boy should be. I'd like to think that a company would not want to sponsor someone like Nike Diaz, but with all the media attention that guy gets, it makes me wonder if any sponsor would want to risk not having that potential exposure.

Nate Diaz (to me) appears to have a dual personality. One time he's talking trash and insulting other fighters and their abilities. Another time he appears humbled and respectful.

Post #55   9/20/08 9:49:20AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by xxMALICExx

Vick for example. Didn't hurt the NFL 1 bit. There are way more good players than bad players. If anyone watches mma, they will realize this.

You're forgetting one thing. American football is recognized as a sport by pretty much every American, MMA is not.

Combat arts will always have to deal with the meat head, criminal, thug, flammable, (all/mostly negative) stigma of its fighters. Whereas something like football has a wide spectrum of player images from the All-American poster boy to the typical jock to the Vicks (and as you said, less so on the bad part).

What's unfortunate about the sport is that a lot of attention (in more mainstream media, but even MMA media) is given to the Nick Diaz antics and the fighters that have a meltdown or some lawsuit, rather than the GSPs. I mean, how many times do you see GSP in the headlines? Hardly ever, yet he is a perfect example of what an MMA poster boy should be. I'd like to think that a company would not want to sponsor someone like Nike Diaz, but with all the media attention that guy gets, it makes me wonder if any sponsor would want to risk not having that potential exposure.

Nate Diaz (to me) appears to have a dual personality. One time he's talking trash and insulting other fighters and their abilities. Another time he appears humbled and respectful.

You are right, the NFL is known by all, so it can overcome any negative media exposure. I was very disgusted when I watched EliteXC's 1st event on CBS. I thought terrible. Brett Rogers' Posse, Kimbo looking Thugish, flashing gang signs. I thought for sure this set the sport back.

I just think Nate Diaz has not done anything terrible enough to deserve so much criticism. His antics are harmless. I think they are a little entertaining.

I see the highlights on ESPN after the events, and they are never negative. What more could you ask for? They are accepting it as a sport.

You need your Tito's and your Diaz Brothers, and your Penn's, and so on, to add depth to the sport. We do not need any Brett Rogers Posse's or anything like that, but a little depth keeps it more interesting.

These are just my opinions.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #56   9/20/08 10:21:51AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by zephead
The NBA had their dark days in the 70's with all those players doing cocaine. But Magic and Bird came along and picked the sport up. The NFL fought to become #1 and it didn't have to do with knuckleheads. NASCAR had to shake off the "dumb redneck" mantra to get where it's at. But it's a long battle and when you act like a jerk at press conferences where the media can pick up on it, it will only hurt the sport.

So what has changed? Have you ever been to a NASCAR event. The majority of the crowd are extremely proud to be rednecks. Drivers too. So they have changed nothing.

Anytime a professional athlete breaks the law, it stays in the media for months. One player, causing more negative exposure, than the UFC has received in a sum of years. Vick for example. Didn't hurt the NFL 1 bit. There are way more good players than bad players. If anyone watches mma, they will realize this.

When NASCAR got the big sponsers, signed that mutli-billion dollar deal with FOX and then ESPN, it was because the image of the sport changed. They race in California, Nevada, Chicago, Hew Hampshire, talks of a track in New York City, the image of the sport changed. I have nothing against "Rednecks." Hell, my family is from Mehherin Va.

The redneck image was what NASCAR pushed. The beer swilling crowd. It's changed. Look at the drivers now. The image changed and the sport took off. Again, the IMAGE of the sport has changed. I have no idea why you are getting offensive about this.

If you can't see this, I don't know what else to say. MLB has a steriod image now, they have to change it. The NFL has a thug image now, now the talk and rules that have been implemented are to change the image. NBA got a image of a one-on-one league. So, they institued rules to change it. It's all about image. The better the image, the more it sells

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #57   9/20/08 12:06:18PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by scoozna

What an unrewarding job, trying to get fighters to talk about their fights and standing within a division. Someone probably asked Nick Diaz about KJ and Nick went off on him - but I don't think anyone could hear from that vid.

When does anything interesting come out of these interviews? *Occasionally* a fighter talks about their game plan and what went right or what went wrong. Mostly, they say absolutely nothing.

and this is the shit that holds the sport back from becoming mainstream accepted. A lot of these fighters pay virtually no respect to the reporters asking them questions. On the one hand you say "Such and such from MMAWeekly.com" and the fighter thinks "who?!?!" but on the other hand these guys have got to realize you've gotta show the press love. For the growth of the sport and for your own reputation.

I get sick of seeing fighters disrespecting interviewers and acting like total punks in front of the camera. The Diaz brothers are notorious for it, but let's be honest here- it's not just them. We need some damn maturity in this sport. The only way it will ever be legitimized is when fighters learn to empower themselves and the media outlets trying to get their names out there.

Their tough guy act DOES sell a good story every time.. That's the reason interviewers want to interview them in the first place. Drama keeps things interesting and keeps people talking.

A wise person once said there is no such thing as bad publicity ;)

Post #58   9/20/08 2:13:46PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
I think you guys are really overestimating the influence of his behaviour on the growth of the sport.

Find me a single facet of life where the media doesn't prefer to focus on the negative aspects. You can't do it, that's just humanity. People like to read sensational stories about the bad stuff happening around them, not "feel good" stories about rich franklin playing chess for charity. Those stories get told, but no one cares about them. Guys like Nick Diaz will always receive media attention and they will always be present in every aspect of life. The thing to look at his how many of these people there are in MMA _proportionally_.

I would say MMA is incredibly well represented in comparison to other contact sports. It will take time for the general public to accept anything new, but the rate at which MMA is growing and becoming acceptable is unprecedented. There's no other sport that has grown so popular so quickly. You guys are talking about Diaz as though his attitude is pandemic in the sport and is causing an obvious deficit in it's growth in popularity and acceptability and that's just not the case IMO.

He's childish and he needs to grow up, I agree. He represents the sport poorly, I agree. But are there enough people like him in the sport to realistically hamper it's growth? No chance. Even golf has it's John Dalys. You can't eradicate negative human behaviour or the desire of the media to focus on the negative. I'm just happy that we have SO FEW of these people that they are hardly a drop of water in the pond. I disagree with his attitude but I think you're giving him far too much credit.

Post #59   9/20/08 4:31:09PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
A couple of F-bombs adn some hand signals arnt that bad. Its not like he punched some guy out. That said when dealing with the media you could use some strategy. Maybe the UFC/other orgs should set up a course or somthing in dealing with the media(i know nick isnt in the UFC) but it couldnt hurt.

Post #60   9/20/08 10:27:53PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5