Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate And Nick Diaz Launch Into Tirade At UFC Fight Night Presser

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xxMALICExx

Me Too!! But who are they hurting by acting the way they do?

The reputation of both the UFC and MMA in general.

God damnit this is going to keep bugging me but how the hell is Kimbo 9-0 and why are you making it look like its his MMA record with kos and subs, he clearly lost to Gannon in a fight that made it look like Kimbo ***** his pants at the thought of versatility and MMA, his crew pretty much banned the idea of MMA and made it into a bare knuckle boxing match instead of a real fight.

ROFL. His avatar is clearly a joke. 5+3 = 9 should be the first indication of that, and the fact that he has no subs and nowhere near 8(9) fights should be the next.

He lost a bet, so someone made a funny avatar that he has to keep for a certain period of time. People make avatar bets on these forums all of the time.

Post #31   9/19/08 3:30:15PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Here is the problem, and this is why mixed martial artists need to focus on representing the sport in a positive fashion. These are quotes taken from only one article posted on CNN.com about MMA. There are other posters defending the sport, of course, but as of now the numbers are about equal on either side.

thugs that can't follow the rules of an art such as that which is boxing or tae kwon do... It's like the poker players that wanna play one eyed suicide jacks wild because the only way they can win is to get over by some fluke abomination of the rules of a game. And the fans? The same people that watch racing hoping to catch a glimpse of a terrible accident.

I see no reason to glorify such a thing, where the violence is the ONLY goal.

My guess is, Boxing will make a comeback BECAUSE of the lacking qualities of MMA/streetfighting.

It's time for the carwreck to be towed away, the caution flag is about to raise, and the 15 minutes is officially almost over.

Or

I applaud martial arts prowess and the ability to handle yourself should a situation come up where you would need to defend yourself, but to show it in this manner on television is just a waste of time. John McCain got it right when he likened it to a cockfight. That's about all it seems to be.

If you want a close seat to this "sport" go to your nearest school's playground .. no difference .. nooooo difference This is not a sport, sorry

or

We are slowly, ever slowly, crawling towards Roman style gladiator fighting again...

or

It's so sad to see such an ugly sport gain popularity. I agree with a previous post. It is just what this country is coming to. I actually grew up with one of their most famous fighters. While I will not comment on him, it's sad to see that such "idols" that are violent, lazy and illiterate. If that is what you are into, good for you, but I'm definitely not the target audience. I am a upper college grad, who volunteers for lots of non-for-profit, non-violent organizations. I'm on the earth to make a difference in the lives of people.

or

It's very interesting that as the economy goes down the tubes and people become more frustrated and stressed with their personal lives, they seem to be more inclined to watch these sorts of spectacles, not unlike the Romans and their gladiators, just before the fall. Hopefull we will swing back the other way in time and realize that this type of "release" is not really helpful or useful or even a reasonable way to handle the negative times in our lives. How about we hold out a hand up instead of a clenched/gloved fist. Grow up folks, we don't allow our kids to do it on the playground, so why are we showing this as some sort of example of a way of life. Not good

or

Aren't we so lucky to live in a country that thinks this is entertainment. We need to watch who we are calling Third World Nations. American's are so into violence in all aspects of their lives it is truly sickening. No wonder people seem so bitter. No wonder the rest of the civilized world looses respect for us more and more every day. This all stems from the bully at the top. Someone should have punched him in the head along time ago

Post #32   9/19/08 3:32:47PM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

The Diaz brothers acting unprofessional / uncivilized? I dunno man, this story sounds like a stretch to me...

I was going to try to say this better, but I can't. They are both great fighters. I think Nate is even better then Nick. But really enough with the “gangsta” mentality. The sport doesn’t need it.

If Nate would stop following his brother’s lead he could be one of the greats and I can see a belt in his future. But his brother I think is just going to bring him down to a level that will stop his progress with the sport. Jealousy on Nick’s part maybe?

Post #33   9/19/08 3:46:50PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Jackelope,

Those are all a little disheartening comments to see but........they will never stop the sport from growing. They are all false comments. The sport is not all about violence. True mma fans know this. Therefore, if they are going to continue to base their protests on these uneducated opinions of the sport, they will be digging their own holes to climb out of. People will see, it's not how they say it is.

ESPN covers the sport, in a positive way, more and more every event. Who do you think true sports fans are going to be listening to? ESPN, or the politicians who are making these false comments?

People always protest things they do not understand. People with closed minds. They do not accept something, so they don't think anyone else should accept it either. But the truth is, these types of protesters are usually in the minority. They have been trying to ban guns for years, but always fail. Why? They are in the minority.

Last edited 9/19/08 7:11PM server time by xxmalicexx
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #34   9/19/08 4:30:08PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

Jackelope,

Those are all a little disheartening comments to see but........they will never stop the sport from growing. They are all false comments. The sport is not all about violence. True mma fans know this. Therefore, if they are going to continue to base their protests on these uneducated opinions of the sport, they will be digging their own holes to climb out of. People will see, it's not how they say it is.

But you have to understand, true MMA fans are going to watch no matter what. That's not what people are worried about. The UFC knows that you and I will tune in even if Nate Diaz throws up gang signs and smacks a ho on his way to the cage. However, they're trying to target the casual viewer who tunes in occasionally because they're not so sure they like the sport AND they're targeting the non-viewer who's flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch.

When you're marketing a product, you don't market it towards your hardcore fans. They're not going anywhere. You market it towards the NON-fan.

Last edited 9/19/08 4:36PM server time by emfleek

Post #35   9/19/08 4:35:41PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I love the Diaz brothers for the simple fact that they do not take shit from anyone and they tell it like it is!!

Props to Nate and Nick because someone must have done soemthing for them to go off there not thugs they just wont bite their tounges and i respect that.

Post #36   9/19/08 4:39:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xxMALICExx

Jackelope,

But you have to understand, true MMA fans are going to watch no matter what. That's not what people are worried about. The UFC knows that you and I will tune in even if Nate Diaz throws up gang signs and smacks a ho on his way to the cage. However, they're trying to target the casual viewer who tunes in occasionally because they're not so sure they like the sport AND they're targeting the non-viewer who's flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch.

When you're marketing a product, you don't market it towards your hardcore fans. They're not going anywhere. You market it towards the NON-fan.

Exactly right.

Malice, I do agree with you that these guys are throwing out a bunch of bullshit comments.

My frustration just comes from personal experiences, I guess. I long for the day that I can tell people "I train MMA" and I'll get the same amount of respect as when I say "I do boxing". As of right now I just get lumped into the same category as a guy that would pull "Nate Diaz antics"

Post #37   9/19/08 4:45:05PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
The sport not only grows with fans but also with sponsers and if you want to be legit you need to have the big time companys putting their name in the center of the ring. Guys like this who are headlining a card then acting like that after a fight will not attract sponser if anything its going to push them away.

Post #38   9/19/08 5:07:58PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm all for representing the sport in a positive light, I dislike it when fighters are disrespectful etc. That being said I don't think you're ever going to change the opinions of the people who made those posts. This guy for example:

"It's so sad to see such an ugly sport gain popularity. I agree with a previous post. It is just what this country is coming to. I actually grew up with one of their most famous fighters. While I will not comment on him, it's sad to see that such "idols" that are violent, lazy and illiterate. If that is what you are into, good for you, but I'm definitely not the target audience. I am a upper college grad, who volunteers for lots of non-for-profit, non-violent organizations. I'm on the earth to make a difference in the lives of people."

Is just a pompous holier-than thou windbag who will use any excuse to tell people about his level of formal education and volunteer experience. He's most likely upset that his "neanderthal" childhood acquaintance is infinitely more successful and respected than he will ever be, despite his self perceived god-like intellect and saint-like altruism. Certain people are just sad specimens who feel the need to talk about how much better they are than the other "primitives" around them and how far they are above such things.

I think that if every fighter in the sport bowed to one another, shook hands, never swore, and gave 100% of all of their paychecks to charity, people like this would still be around to talk about how they are retarded barbarians with a blood-thirst for violence.

Like I said I'm a big proponent of presenting MMA in a positive light, but I don't think you can take those comments as an accurate representation of the general populace's opinion, and the huge explosion of popularity of the sport indicates as much. The sport is becoming mainstream incredibly quickly and regardless of these people it's only going to continue growing. Their voice is a small minority in the overall picture.

I also think that overall MMA is incredibly well represented as a result of the fact that just about every martial art is deeply linked with the notions of respect and using your ability to protect and defend rather than to harm. I can think of maybe a half a dozen fighters who are disrespectful and immature on a regular basis and hundreds who are incredibly humble, respectful and intelligent. Honestly, I don't know how much better it could possibly get There's always going to be a few bad seeds in any venue, it's just unrealistic to think you can eradicate childish behaviour in any competition. Shit even an organization like the catholic church has a solid number of individuals misrepresenting them. I don't think most people are ignorant enough to look at one or two people like nick diaz and say "that is MMA" the same way that most people aren't going to look at the handful of pedophiles in the clergy and say "well that's what church is about". Some will, and that can't be changed, but I think they're a very small minority.

I think the reason that you see a nearly equal number of comments for both sides in such an article is that someone who is strongly against something is far more likely to voice their opinion than someone who is in favour of something. Someone who is in favour of something is more likely to respond only in the face of such attacks. When you go to espn, mmamania, any other site to read an article 99% of us read the article and close the webpage, there's no reason to extol the virtues of the sport unprompted, you just assume that people reading an MMA article already like the sport, so why bother? On the flipside, someone who is against the sport will feel highly inclined to use it as an opportunity to voice their displeasure. As a result you're going to see a larger proportion of upset/ignorant comments than what is representative of the real picture. If you went out on the street to do a survey I think that you would find an overwhelming majority would be either supportive of or indifferent toward the sport.

Some people will simply never be satisfied. I would love to have a debate with this pseudo-intellect quoted here just to watch him flop around like a fish out of water. It sickens me when people use charity work as a way to be condescending.

So to sum up I'm basically just saying, yes I agree that we should try to represent the sport in as positive a light as possible, but that I think that MMA is way ahead of most sports already and I don't think it can get a whole lot better than it already is in this department.

This post ended up being WAY longer than I expected it to when I started it, lol.

Post #39   9/19/08 5:27:05PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm all for representing the sport in a positive light, I dislike it when fighters are disrespectful etc. That being said I don't think you're ever going to change the opinions of the people who made those posts. This guy for example:

"It's so sad to see such an ugly sport gain popularity. I agree with a previous post. It is just what this country is coming to. I actually grew up with one of their most famous fighters. While I will not comment on him, it's sad to see that such "idols" that are violent, lazy and illiterate. If that is what you are into, good for you, but I'm definitely not the target audience. I am a upper college grad, who volunteers for lots of non-for-profit, non-violent organizations. I'm on the earth to make a difference in the lives of people."

Is just a pompous holier-than thou windbag who will use any excuse to tell people about his level of formal education and volunteer experience. He's most likely upset that his "neanderthal" childhood acquaintance is infinitely more successful and respected than he will ever be, despite his self perceived god-like intellect and saint-like altruism. Certain people are just sad specimens who feel the need to talk about how much better they are than the other "primitives" around them and how far they are above such things.

I think that if every fighter in the sport bowed to one another, shook hands, never swore, and gave 100% of all of their paychecks to charity, people like this would still be around to talk about how they are retarded barbarians with a blood-thirst for violence.

Like I said I'm a big proponent of presenting MMA in a positive light, but I don't think you can take those comments as an accurate representation of the general populace's opinion, and the huge explosion of popularity of the sport indicates as much. The sport is becoming mainstream incredibly quickly and regardless of these people it's only going to continue growing. Their voice is a small minority in the overall picture.

I also think that overall MMA is incredibly well represented as a result of the fact that just about every martial art is deeply linked with the notions of respect and using your ability to protect and defend rather than to harm. I can think of maybe a half a dozen fighters who are disrespectful and immature on a regular basis and hundreds who are incredibly humble, respectful and intelligent. Honestly, I don't know how much better it could possibly get There's always going to be a few bad seeds in any venue, it's just unrealistic to think you can eradicate childish behaviour in any competition. Shit even an organization like the catholic church has a solid number of individuals misrepresenting them. I don't think most people are ignorant enough to look at one or two people like nick diaz and say "that is MMA" the same way that most people aren't going to look at the handful of pedophiles in the clergy and say "well that's what church is about". Some will, and that can't be changed, but I think they're a very small minority.

I think the reason that you see a nearly equal number of comments for both sides in such an article is that someone who is strongly against something is far more likely to voice their opinion than someone who is in favour of something. Someone who is in favour of something is more likely to respond only in the face of such attacks. When you go to espn, mmamania, any other site to read an article 99% of us read the article and close the webpage, there's no reason to extol the virtues of the sport unprompted, you just assume that people reading an MMA article already like the sport, so why bother? On the flipside, someone who is against the sport will feel highly inclined to use it as an opportunity to voice their displeasure. As a result you're going to see a larger proportion of upset/ignorant comments than what is representative of the real picture. If you went out on the street to do a survey I think that you would find an overwhelming majority would be either supportive of or indifferent toward the sport.

Some people will simply never be satisfied. I would love to have a debate with this pseudo-intellect quoted here just to watch him flop around like a fish out of water. It sickens me when people use charity work as a way to be condescending.

So to sum up I'm basically just saying, yes I agree that we should try to represent the sport in as positive a light as possible, but that I think that MMA is way ahead of most sports already and I don't think it can get a whole lot better than it already is in this department.

This post ended up being WAY longer than I expected it to when I started it, lol.

Spectacular post. i 100% agree with you and love spreading must be done first before i can give you your well deserved props. you outlined a very basic principle of psychology in that those who have the strongest opinions will be the ones to voive their opinions (or take surveys, which is how it is applicable to psychological sampling) and they do not represent the majority. as for what you said about the pompous "holier than thou" opponents of MMA, i coudln't have said it better. really nice post

Post #40   9/19/08 6:33:19PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Is it the old stoner in me or did he look / act kinda stoned???

Reminded me of myself in highschool talkin to the principa l

Last edited 9/19/08 6:57PM server time by Kracker_Jap

Post #41   9/19/08 6:55:40PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,617-927
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

1 or 2 individuals dropping a few f bombs, and giving the finger, and acting tough are bringing the sport down?

Oh they're not acting

Post #42   9/19/08 7:05:55PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by emfleek

Exactly right.

Malice, I do agree with you that these guys are throwing out a bunch of bullshit comments.

My frustration just comes from personal experiences, I guess. I long for the day that I can tell people "I train MMA" and I'll get the same amount of respect as when I say "I do boxing". As of right now I just get lumped into the same category as a guy that would pull "Nate Diaz antics"

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. But Aether explained it way better than I ever could. The supporters outnumber the haters by a long shot. They just don't feel the need to go out of their way to voice their opinion on a regular basis.

I think the marketing is just fine. Almost any advertisement, or interview I ever see, is positive.

Jackelope, I guess I haven't had to deal with that. Where I am from, if you say you train in any one style like boxing, JJ, wrestling, karate, or whatever else, people have no interest. They just say "Neat". But if you train MMA, everyone wants to know all about it. Hopefully it can be like that everywhere soon.

Post #43   9/19/08 7:35:54PM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
who really cares about mma being main stream really? I'm into MMA because i like getting punched in the face and punching others. so if your just a sheep that think its the "coolest new thing" go back to the frat house and do another keg stand.

Post #44   9/19/08 10:05:36PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:

Steroids, Shootings, Rapes, Drugs, Dog Fighting,

like sean sherk? like lee murray? like devin cole? like melvin guillard?

our sport is not above these things.

Post #45   9/19/08 10:23:29PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5