Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Should pot be legal...

Print  
Should iit?
Yea! 22 43%
NO! 15 29%
I'm high right now! 14 27%
  Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I voted no , which might make me unpopular, but I will probably make more of you unhappy with this. I think anything that causes you to lose your reflexes or impairs your judgement should be illegal outside of your own home. That includes alcohol/prescription drugs etc.. I used to get high and drink in high school and the beginning of college. I almost died and killed people multiple times while doing so. I'm sure many people handle these things better than I do. Still, your judgement is impaired while on them . Both are also gateway drugs and lead to more hardcore stuff. I was affiliated with the legalize it movement in college, and still have friends that are. I understand all the arguments for and against. The supreme court ruled it legal that people smoking weed in the privacy of their own homes as long as they have less than 4 ounces and no children are present . If people drank and smoked only in their house and kept it to themselves and likewise thinking people then they are fine.Too many people get behind the wheel of a car or do stupid things to people who are not involved in it though. As for medical marijauna use, if people in pain like the effect of it so much , then I would allow a THC pill if I made the rules. All the legalize it people I know insist on smoking it instead, and are against this idea. Seems weird if there first concern was the peoples pain. Well, I don't make the laws so this is all purely academic. In closing , I think it should still be illegal anywhere outside your own home. Bars/restauraunts included. That's my opinion , sorry if you disagree, but it comes from a lot of experience and contemplation

Im with you Hippy smacka! i was the first one to vote no. And with the powerhouses of me and You against it i tihnk other people will do the same.
Pot is illegal. And has much as i love to Drink, Booze should be too. Tobacco for sure should be illegal. The only reason those 2 things aren't is the amount of Tax money that governments make off of them is huge.
If you outlawed them consumption would go down.
And why do drunk drivers only get warnings and shit. I say first time offender 6 months in jail and licese gone for a year. ON the Third strike throw em in jail for 5 and never give them a licsense. That will teach those morons a lesson.

Post #16   3/6/07 9:27:40PM   

uhlsc

Learning to Sprawl

uhlsc Avatar

Career:446-314
Camp: Cartersburg Fight Fans
Chips:
I vote yes i would much rather be able to smoke a doobie than drink a six pack if I drink six beers in an evening i am not qualified to work a remote control on the other hand i can take a few hits feel great and still go out and and be somewhat productive the only thing in danger when I smoke is a bag of oreos and a gallon of milk

Post #17   3/6/07 9:39:11PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by uhlsc

I vote yes i would much rather be able to smoke a doobie than drink a six pack if I drink six beers in an evening i am not qualified to work a remote control on the other hand i can take a few hits feel great and still go out and and be somewhat productive the only thing in danger when I smoke is a bag of oreos and a gallon of milk

Yeah i have heard guys say that when they get stoned they order several pizzas and buckets of chicken, for like 3-4 guys.

Post #18   3/6/07 9:40:52PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I think if legal it should be the same deal as DUI though (driving or like drinking in public) I do agree with that part.

Here is how I see it... either legalize pot or ban alcohol. It just doesn't make since the way it is. Alcohol seems to really mess people up alot more then weed can in most cases.

Posted by hippysmacker

I voted no , which might make me unpopular, but I will probably make more of you unhappy with this. I think anything that causes you to lose your reflexes or impairs your judgement should be illegal outside of your own home. That includes alcohol/prescription drugs etc.. I used to get high and drink in high school and the beginning of college. I almost died and killed people multiple times while doing so. I'm sure many people handle these things better than I do. Still, your judgement is impaired while on them . Both are also gateway drugs and lead to more hardcore stuff. I was affiliated with the legalize it movement in college, and still have friends that are. I understand all the arguments for and against. The supreme court ruled it legal that people smoking weed in the privacy of their own homes as long as they have less than 4 ounces and no children are present . If people drank and smoked only in their house and kept it to themselves and likewise thinking people then they are fine.Too many people get behind the wheel of a car or do stupid things to people who are not involved in it though. As for medical marijauna use, if people in pain like the effect of it so much , then I would allow a THC pill if I made the rules. All the legalize it people I know insist on smoking it instead, and are against this idea. Seems weird if there first concern was the peoples pain. Well, I don't make the laws so this is all purely academic. In closing , I think it should still be illegal anywhere outside your own home. Bars/restauraunts included. That's my opinion , sorry if you disagree, but it comes from a lot of experience and contemplation

Last edited 3/6/07 9:49PM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   3/6/07 9:48:42PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
Also I used to smoke weed often, and I didn't want to eat tons it effects everyone different ways.

It's just the whole hollywood Idea stoners it's not like that for everyone.

I don't understand how anyone could vote no unless they want alcohol illegal also as stated in some of you replys.

Last edited 3/6/07 10:12PM server time by shackle
2 total post edits

Post #20   3/6/07 9:50:46PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
how so... it will help ruin illegal aliens profit if you ask me seeing how many sell drugs.

Anyone can get pot easy so I don't see how this would send in more illegals.

Posted by jdubs

Posted by shackle

If you voted no... Explain why..

Give examples why it would be a bad thing please.

cause it would bring more piece of s**t illegals into this country

Post #21   3/6/07 9:55:46PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:

Posted by shackle

how so... it will help ruin illegal aliens profit if you ask me seeing how many sell drugs.

Posted by jdubs

Posted by shackle

legalize pot=more usage=greater illegal importation

Post #22   3/6/07 10:59:05PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

I say no.

"1. cigarettes and alcohol are legal."

Cigarettes and other tobacco products do nothing to impair judgement, and the medical weed issue can be applied to tobacco, as docotors recommend people with schizophrenia start smoking if they don't already, as it mellows out their personality and helps them cope. As for alcohol, it has existed and been used for so long, it can never be banned or outlawed. Its too intergrated into the traditions of cultures to ever go away. Pot has no cultural place in most societies.

"2. Alcohol to me seems to be worst, and does cause more accidents."

Depends on the people involved more than anything, as drugs effect people in different ways. The same people that crash their car after getting drunk would probably crash their car after smoking legal pot.

"3. The government could ******* tax it, and get money for schools or to help out older folks."

Sure they could tax it, but think about this. How many people who don't smoke pot would take it up if it were legalized? Probably not a hell of a lot. Most people that would smoke it do so already. I don't see this making money for the government either, as if it were legal I think a lot more people would take to growing it themselves. As it stands, most drug charges involving weed are misdemenors and only involve paying fines, so the government probably makes more money off of fines and confinscated properties than a tax on legal pot.

"4. People are going to do it no matter what."

This could be applied to anything. Crack heads are going to smoke crack no matter what too. Should crack be legal?

"5. Less people going to jail in return this means less money spent on jails."

Unless a person is selling pot, they're more than likely not spending too much time in jail, if any. The penal system need a serious overhaul as is though, and I think things like mandatory appeals, plea bargining with capital crimes and dudes sitting on death row for 20+ years are bigger wastes of money than anything pot related.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #23   3/7/07 2:59:57AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
"Depends on the people involved more than anything, as drugs effect people in different ways. The same people that crash their car after getting drunk would probably crash their car after smoking legal pot."

Thats not the best point to be honest cause we all know they both have similar affects, and alcohol is legal. Do you think alcohol should be banned?

If they both cause crashes why is Alcohol legal, and pot isnt? Or why are they not both legal?... this makes no since. Anyone that says it does is crazy.

I think it's a real touchy subject, but I never see, any very valid points.

"Sure they could tax it, but think about this. How many people who don't smoke pot would take it up if it were legalized? Probably not a hell of a lot. Most people that would smoke it do so already. I don't see this making money for the government either, as if it were legal I think a lot more people would take to growing it themselves. As it stands, most drug charges involving weed are misdemenors and only involve paying fines, so the government probably makes more money off of fines and confinscated properties than a tax on legal pot."

Another lacking point .. you seriously beleave less people would do it cause it's legal? Without the fear of getting in trouble pot sells would go through the roof. I think the money should be used for health care systems, and older people. We treat the elderly like trash these days make something good come from it! don't let dealers get this money.

"Unless a person is selling pot, they're more than likely not spending too much time in jail, if any. The penal system need a serious overhaul as is though, and I think things like mandatory appeals, plea bargining with capital crimes and dudes sitting on death row for 20+ years are bigger wastes of money than anything pot related."

there is a lot of little time drug dealers to or people just caught with pot that spend time in jail, and we all know drug charges hit you hard in the USA.

Last edited 3/7/07 3:33AM server time by shackle

Post #24   3/7/07 3:30:23AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
That makes no sense at all....

Aliens are not coming here for the pot lol. They mostly come for a better life, and send money back home. If pot was legal they wouldn't be selling it cause you can get it at the store lol.... it would be grown in the USA most likely.

I'm not saying I support illegals I'm strongly against them, but your points doesn't seem valid to me.

Posted by jdubs

Posted by shackle

Posted by jdubs

Posted by shackle

legalize pot=more usage=greater illegal importation

Last edited 3/7/07 3:44AM server time by shackle

Post #25   3/7/07 3:39:58AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Chips:
haha ya damn post whores! lol!

Follow the leader!

I say if pot isn't legal then ban ******* alcohol again!

Posted by madmarck
Im with you Hippy smacka! i was the first one to vote no. And with the powerhouses of me and You against it i tihnk other people will do the same.
Pot is illegal. And has much as i love to Drink, Booze should be too. Tobacco for sure should be illegal. The only reason those 2 things aren't is the amount of Tax money that governments make off of them is huge.
If you outlawed them consumption would go down.
And why do drunk drivers only get warnings and shit. I say first time offender 6 months in jail and licese gone for a year. ON the Third strike throw em in jail for 5 and never give them a licsense. That will teach those morons a lesson.

Post #26   3/7/07 3:49:02AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by shackle

"Depends on the people involved more than anything, as drugs effect people in different ways. The same people that crash their car after getting drunk would probably crash their car after smoking legal pot."

Thats not the best point to be honest cause we all know they both have similar affects, and alcohol is legal. Do you think alcohol should be banned?

If they both cause crashes why is Alcohol legal, and pot isnt? Or why are they not both legal?... this makes no since. Anyone that says it does is crazy.

I explained this above. Alcohol is completely intergrated into our society and culture, for better or for worse, and will never go away, especially sense you can make it with nothing more than a jug, some yeast and some honey, berries, etc. Pot isn't intergrated into out culture in the same way. Alcohol was essentially grandfathered into every legal system (except Islamic states and other places were alcohol is forbidden), otherwise it more than likely would be illegal. That doesn't mean we should legalize everything *like* it though, as that introduces more ills into society that we really don't need.

Posted by shackle

"Sure they could tax it, but think about this. How many people who don't smoke pot would take it up if it were legalized? Probably not a hell of a lot. Most people that would smoke it do so already. I don't see this making money for the government either, as if it were legal I think a lot more people would take to growing it themselves. As it stands, most drug charges involving weed are misdemenors and only involve paying fines, so the government probably makes more money off of fines and confinscated properties than a tax on legal pot."

Another lacking point .. you seriously beleave less people would do it cause it's legal? Without the fear of getting in trouble pot sells would go through the roof. I think the money should be used for health care systems, and older people. We treat the elderly like trash these days make something good come from it! don't let dealers get this money.

You misread what I typed. I didn't say less people would smoke pot if it were legal, I said not many more people would take it up if it were legal. The people who would smoke and grow pot already do so, regardless of its legality, and like I said, the goverment already makes a killing off of fines and confinscated properties.

Hell, just recently, the police busted a family who owned two houses that were set up for growing pot. The police then give that property to the state, who will auction it off at a later date, as well as everything in the house. They probably just made half a million dollars on that single bust alone, not counting fines and/or bail for the persons involved, and confinscated money. I don't see a tax netting more money than that. Plus the money from fines and confinscated properties goes to the state government as opposed to federal governments, which I'm all for being a Republican.

Posted by shackle
"Unless a person is selling pot, they're more than likely not spending too much time in jail, if any. The penal system need a serious overhaul as is though, and I think things like mandatory appeals, plea bargining with capital crimes and dudes sitting on death row for 20+ years are bigger wastes of money than anything pot related."

there is a lot of little time drug dealers to or people just caught with pot that spend time in jail, and we all know drug charges hit you hard in the USA.

Depends on where you live. In some states its automatic jail time for having even a seed. In some its a fine for having less than 20 grams outside your house.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #27   3/7/07 4:03:22AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
drugs are bad mmmkay.

Post #28   3/7/07 4:25:29AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

drugs are bad mmmkay.

nuff said. As for Drugs being in a culture in North America.. i dont think so. Certain areas do different things.
In Canada, everyone on the east coast came from Ireland originally so we learned or drinkin from them, and everyone else who has come this way has come to the realiztiation that we can drink any other place off of the map.

On the West coast though there isn't as much drinking. But there are a shitload of potheads. I met a girl from there this summer and she said that pretty much everyone over on the West Coast smokes dope. She told me she knows cops with farms in there basement.
Hell there was even a store opened at one point, on a main road, that sold pot openly. Although they got closed down they didn't get seriously charged from what i remember.

Anyone who tokes or Drinks and drives is a moron.
Anything used in moderation is not overly harmful. I enjoy a cigar once or twice a year when a big event happens (randy winning HW title). I dont however smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I will never get lung cancer from 2 cigars a year.
When things are overused is when problems happen. When you drink till you blackout you are over doing it. When you smoke so much pot it takes 3 blunts to get you high your messed. When you smoke 3 packs of cigs a day and still want more your gonna get cancer. Shit happens when anything is overused. Hell even food can be bad for you if you decide not to exercise and instead compete in pie eating contests every week.

Post #29   3/7/07 9:14:39AM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by madmarck

If Nick Diaz were here he would vote Yes on your pole.

Hey, hey, Diaz might be a pothead, but he's no pole rider.

I think enough people are high enough as it is, I don't see the point in promoting a drug that goes hand and hand with laziness in America.

exactly! why should it be legal, so teenage kids or young adults can sit in their rooms or basments and blaze all day and not have a job or a life. i don't see why anyone would want to put harm on their body on purpose it's stupid as hell to me.

Post #30   3/7/07 9:37:23AM   

Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>