Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Decision on Belcher/Herman fight was .................

Print  
Who won the matchup
Belcher really won 37 48%
Herman really won 40 52%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
To be honest, I really don't understand why people were calling it a robbery. The fight could have went either way and the luck was on Belcher's side this time.

Post #16   9/19/08 11:17:27AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by MMA

To be honest, I really don't understand why people were calling it a robbery. The fight could have went either way and the luck was on Belcher's side this time.

I agree. I thought Belcher deserved the win, but if it had gone the other way I wouldn't have thought it was a bad decision. If both guys get a couple of wins in the UFC, I'd say this is good rematch material, 8 or 10 months from now.

Post #17   9/19/08 11:25:43AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,244-1,261
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm pretty surprised by this thread. I picked Herman to win but, I really thought that Belcher scored much more when standing and was more aggressive overall. It was close, so I wasn't surprised by a split decision.

Post #18   9/19/08 12:52:38PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Belcher spent more time outstriking Herman than Herman did outgrappling Belcher on the ground. Belcher stuffed a good bit of takedowns as well so Hermans takedowns didnt affect the score as much as it could have if he didnt get stuffed so many times....

I was wanting Herman to win but i thought Belcher won.

Post #19   9/19/08 12:59:18PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
It was close, and after the fight I thought that the judges would score the fight differently (as in split decision). I actually had a feeling that Belcher was going to get the nod and did, I agree, but I could probably also make a case for Herman to win it, so it was a close fight nonetheless.

Post #20   9/19/08 1:40:48PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by InSearchofSunrise

Posted by Pitbull09

I don't understand some posters on here. For past months, many people have been arguing on judging usually relating to takedowns being too much of a factor. Look at this fight.

Round 1
Belcher does the better of stand up, 2:50ish into the fight it goes into the clinch until finally Ed Herman take Belcher down. Key part is what he does after. For the rest of the fight Herman goes for a Darce choke. Though he fails every time and Belcher keeps getting up, he made a lot of attempts that could have ended the fight
First round- Herman 10-9 (Keep in mind Belcher was doing well the first half of this round)

Round 2
Belcher dominates standing like the previous round except this time his strikes are way mroe accurate and he doesnt go over his head. Eventually, he punches low until Herman guards and then shoots up and catches Herman hard. Herman backs and is put in the clinch. Striking continues in Belcher's favor.
Second round- Belcher 10-9 (Belcher won this round 10-9, however he dominated the whole round unlike Herman's first round that did little damage to Belcher. Herman was rocked badly in the second.)

Notice how he left out how Herman was also getting shots in. If you read this you would think Herman did not touch him the whole fight, which is not true. Also Herman did not just take him down, he took him down repeatedly within rounds, and he ended EVERY SINGLE round that way.

Round 3
Belcher continues his strikes, less active then last round but still effective. Eventually Herman gets a takedown but Belcher gets up. Belcher continues striking. Herman takes him down again near the end of the round, gets full mount and reigns punches down (many missing or blocked.)
Third Round- Belcher 10-9 (Belcher still did the most damage in this round. Herman's first takedown should factor in little or at all as he did nothing once he got Belcher down. Also, Belcher was striking well through about 3 minutes of this round. Some people seemed to forget all about that because Herman took him down and got 30 seconds of GnP. Was it effect though? Belcher was in trouble for that position but he blocked the punches well and didnt get hurt to badly. I mean once the bell sounded, Belcher had no problem getting up.

So anyone who gives it to Herman, I would say you favor takedowns way to strongly in fights. This has been the problem for awhile now with judges and I admitt after that fight I was cursing at my TV because I thought it was going Hermans way even though he got beat up bad in that fight.
You can't cancel out crisp striking because a guy was able to take him down sometime in the round. It what they do once it is on the ground that matters and almost every thing Herman did wasnt effective.

Also, did anyone notice they said on the site he won by unanimous decision instead of split?

Notice how he left out how Herman was also getting shots in. If you read this you would think Herman did not touch him the whole fight, which is not true. Also Herman did not just take him down, he took him down repeatedly within rounds, and he ended EVERY SINGLE round that way.

You obviously missed my point. I'll rephrase. Herman did land a clear shot for about every 5 clear shots Blecher got. Also, the shots Herman landed clearly didn't catch Belcher at all while Herman was continuously rocked.
Concerning the takedowns, I also did address that. You shouldnt win fights because you take a guy down at the end of "every single" round. It means nothing if you do it at the end of the round and inflict no damage to the opponent which is what happened with Herman. Herman didnt pull the Darce choke off and he GnP the last 30 seconds of the third round.
If you think thats the deciding factor, I think you ignored the standup game completely to score this.

Post #21   9/20/08 2:34:54PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Belcher spent more time outstriking Herman than Herman did outgrappling Belcher on the ground. Belcher stuffed a good bit of takedowns as well so Hermans takedowns didnt affect the score as much as it could have if he didnt get stuffed so many times....

I was wanting Herman to win but i thought Belcher won.

Ha, I wrote all that and you said my point with this small of a post

Post #22   9/20/08 2:39:14PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You get just as much credit for gettin up from a takedown as someone who takes you down, its the damage(using this term loosely) done before they get up that is supposed to be scored.

Close match, but id give it to belcher because he beat the other guy up and he didnt really take too much damage.

Post #23   9/20/08 3:18:54PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,354-1,409
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
to tell you the truth..Herman didn't do as much as Belcher..didn't land as many strikes..the person in control of the match was Belcher..there was no way of sayin that Herman should of won that...

Post #24   9/22/08 12:07:19PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i picked Herman, but i thought Belcher won that fight. he did the most damage and rocked Ed several times

Post #25   9/22/08 2:30:01PM   

MattHughesFan

MMA Regular

MattHughesFan Avatar

Career:294-174
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I picked Herman but i think Belcher definitely won. In a fight were both fighters really didn't do much damage it goes to whoever controlled the fight and scored more points, Belcher was in control for most of the fight on his feet, yes Herman had complete control when he took Belcher down but more of the fight was standing up, and Belcher won that. Belcher also threw more punches and kicks, i give rounds one and three to Belcher, and round 2 to Herman. It was a close fight but not close enough to the point where a winner could not be clearly seen.

Last edited 9/22/08 3:10PM server time by MattHughesFan
Edit note/reason: grammer

Post #26   9/22/08 3:08:45PM   

Zadius

Learning to Sprawl

Zadius Avatar

Career:2,084-1,207
Chips:
I don't object to the decision, and this is coming from a guy who picked Herman to win.

Post #27   9/24/08 12:15:06PM   

sonicsmokesweed

MMA Regular

sonicsmokesweed Avatar

Career:1,019-664
Chips:

Posted by mikevolz

what fight were you watching?

yupp Alan was batterin Ed and chin checkin da hell out of him

Post #28   9/24/08 12:22:41PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
i had herman winning 29-28, but the fight was close enough that i didn't think it was an awful decision to give to belcher. there has definatly been worse decisions.

Post #29   9/24/08 1:23:33PM   

punkstrings

Learning to Sprawl

Career:68-49
Chips:

Good Analysis, but I disagree on Round three. Even from your summary of round three, it sounds like Herman won it.

here's my take on Round three.

The striking was competitive the whole time, with Belcher was getting the better of it. But the thing is, Belcher is still getting hit when they are standing, it is definately not one-sided. But at the point Herman takes him down, Herman mounts and is doing all the damage, all Belcher can do is defend, he is doing no offensive from this position. That's why a think the take down and ground and pound carries more weight in this round. Herman 29-28 should have been the result.

Last edited 9/25/08 4:02PM server time by punkstrings
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #30   9/25/08 3:59:39PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2